Statement from the community of Rocky Point aka Puerto Penasco

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
STATEMENT OF PUERTO PENASCO'S THE AMERICAN COMMUNITY
U.S. Consulate Warrant unsubstantiated, uncorroborated…and untrue!

While it is not unusual for the U.S. Consulate in Nogales, Sonora to release a travel advisory for parts of Mexico, the latest warrant, dated May 19, 2010, has left an entire community wondering where the Consulate gets its information.

Business leaders in Puerto Penasco, known commonly as Rocky Point, met on Monday to discuss the backlash of calls and emails received as a result of the warning that specifically mentioned dangers on Highway 8, the road to this popular beach resort town.

According to the director of Mexico’s Federal Highway Patrol, no incidents like those discussed in the warning have occurred. The AFI, which is like the American CIA, has also denied any knowledge of problems along Highway 8. Local police chief Erick Landagaray expressed surprise that the Consulate would issue a warning without so much as a thread of truth to it. The Attorneys General at the State as well as Federal level have also said there is no basis for the claims of violence on the road to Puerto Penasco.

Fausto Soto, Director of International Relations for the City of Puerto Penasco attended the meeting, where all agreed the highest priority should be in preparing travelers with the truth, regardless the economic effects on the city.

Nevertheless, in this case it seems the U.S. Consulate - Perhaps because a false report they received - has violated their own policy not to rely solely on unsubstantiated rumors…and in this case, they got their facts very, very wrong, in the process harming an entire community, including about 10,000 American and Canadian Citizens residing or having a legitimate business in this place.

It would be naïve to think that the timing of this warning was accidental, coming as it did right before one of the biggest weekends for this resort community. That negative reports hit the media harder right before Spring Break or other important holidays for travelers is nothing new. What is new, however, is the participation of the U.S. Consulate’s complicity in unnecessarily scaring the traveling public and causing harm to many American-owned businesses south of the border.

The hope in Puerto Penasco is that those who know and love Rocky Point won’t stay away or cancel their travels plans without first verifying the veracity of what they’ve heard, even if the rumors come with the stamp of the U.S. government.

Please see this video where we are making our point about this sensitive situation.
http://www.facebook.com/l/f6553;www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwzy0aXjXBY
--------------------

Manny Sanchez

Vir sapit qui pauca loqui
[video=facebook;129276263756067]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=129276263756067&ref=mf[/video]

S

Submarine

Ok so if the AFI is like the CIA; the CIA has no authority (and in fact it's illegal) for them to operate inside the U.S. so that comparison is quite odd.

I don't see how the Nogales Warden would give one rats ass about who goes to Rocky Point. Regardless, Mexico is responsible for this entire fiasco. YES MEXICO IS RESPONSIBLE. Mexico has failed to effectively end the reign of cartels along the northern borders and the resulting body count is what is driving fear and keeping people away.

You should edit Russ out. His body language is so bad that you could tattoo "I'm Lying" on his forehead and be more credible. He should never run for public office.

I think the damage has already been done. People are smart enough to figure out that people in RP aren't on the road all the time and there is 60 miles of open desert where a lot can happen.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Anything you say sub you seem to be the voice or reason these days..lo stinkin l I suggest you go to Manny's and have shot of Tequila and relax a touch bro as you seem to be a bit angry at the world

As far as people being smart enough, they certainly are smart enough to figure out what you are (short, lives under a bridge and all)

Last edited:
S

Submarine

I take it you don't take constructive criticism well? I guess nobody's perfect.

S

Submarine

Now that's my kind of threat Manny!

Russ, didn't you already have a TV career? What was Bob Crane really like anyway?

sgt_20schultz_sma.jpg

Terry C

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Press Release​
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Rocky Point Reports are Shown to be False. Arizona Citizens Call on ogales
Consul to Withdraw Warning and on ews Media to Set the Record Straight
Phoenix, Arizona
May 25, 2010​
[/FONT]
Citizens of Arizona have been harmed by an inaccurate travel warning regarding Rocky Point this week.
The Arizona Sonora Stakeholders Association (ASSA) is calling on the U.S. Consulate in Nogales to
withdraw the now-discredited warning, apologize to the many Americans who have been harmed by this
Consulate’s negligence and investigate who authorized the warning to be released without proper
research and verification.
The ASSA represents the thousands of Arizona residents and voters who own property in Sonora,
vacation there and count it as an important part of the Arizona lifestyle. Puerto Peñasco, Sonora
(sometimes referred to as Rocky Point) is the primary beach resort for Arizona residents and has a
reputation for safety and family-friendly stays. Misinformation and inaccurate press reports about the
beach destination cause significant harm to the many Americans with interests – personal, business and
property – in Rocky Point.
According to Aaron R. Hutman, Director of the ASSA, “I spoke to the Nogales Consular office on
Friday, May 21 prior to the publication of the warning online and they were aware they had nothing but
unconfirmed reports of dubious origin. I urged them not to publish without a proper investigation.
Since that time, the State Police in Sonora have investigated and the reports were either mistaken or a
hoax. Anyone who has traveled on the road between Sonoyta and Rocky Point knows how absurd the
warning was – the geography of Highway 8 and utter lack of escape routes for potential wrong-doers
makes an unauthorized checkpoint so implausible as to be silly.”
The only question remaining is how long it will take for the Nogales Consul to withdraw the warning
and issue an apology? If the Consul and Press wait until after Memorial Day to correct the record, it
will raise serious questions about their motives and integrity.
Memorial Day weekend is one of the most important weekends of the year for Puerto Peñasco.
American owners look forward to sharing their residences at the beach with family and friends. Other
Americans look forward to renting, making much needed income to support their family’s second home
investments. Still other Arizonans look forward to a weekend rental on the beach and a well-deserved
vacation. These are the people who have been hurt this week.
The economic loss to Arizona residents and American citizens caused by the mistaken Consular warning
are likely to be in the millions of dollars. American citizens own approximately 7,000 properties in
Puerto Peñasco.
For more information about the mistaken travel warning and efforts to correct the record, please call
(310) 755-8267 or write to​

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
ASSA​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Arizona Sonora
Stakeholders Association​
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

V

VacationVanessa

I am anxiously awaiting some kind of formal recall of the warning and I think that is only appropriate. Honestly, this crap has caused me so much stress and not due to my concerns about my safety. I mean, for the love of God, I'm leaving Phoenix at 8:30am on the 11th and there are four cars of us caravaning down. I've made the drive I don't even know how many times and never been stopped. Yet, I swear my family is about to disown me (they find Fox News credible too) for not canceling my plans. Ummm, yeah, I have 6 people from three states flying out to join us. Not gonna happen. Retract the statement already.

Manny - get that tequila ready because I am SOOOO going to need a lot of it.

I am anxiously awaiting some kind of formal recall of the warning and I think that is only appropriate. Honestly, this crap has caused me so much stress and not due to my concerns about my safety. I mean, for the love of God, I'm leaving Phoenix at 8:30am on the 11th and there are four cars of us caravaning down. I've made the drive I don't even know how many times and never been stopped. Yet, I swear my family is about to disown me (they find Fox News credible too) for not canceling my plans. Ummm, yeah, I have 6 people from three states flying out to join us. Not gonna happen. Retract the statement already.
Vanessa, there is no reason for you to be anxious. You and your friends will have a great time, and you'll be completely safe.

V

VacationVanessa

I know, my dear. I'm not worried in the slightest bit. I just have hand wringers for family members. I actually was trying to tell my dad yesterday that the unsubstantiated warning will most likely make a road little safer. It's much like the warning that went out last year around spring break. As a result, patrols were beefed up along the road to make sure that tourists felt safe coming down. I can only imagine that they same would occur now. So two weeks ago, patroling the road more may not have been in the plans, now it may be.

Either way, I am going to be dreaming of carne asada and tequila while I prepare my tan this weekend...

This would be good news that everyone efforts worked.
Who told you or where did you read this?
It's the 8th post on this thread. I have copied it below here. The Consulate does need to do an official retraction soon.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today 08:43 AM #8
Terry C

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Press Release​
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Rocky Point Reports are Shown to be False. Arizona Citizens Call on ogales
Consul to Withdraw Warning and on ews Media to Set the Record Straight
Phoenix, Arizona
May 25, 2010​
[/FONT]
Citizens of Arizona have been harmed by an inaccurate travel warning regarding Rocky Point this week.
The Arizona Sonora Stakeholders Association (ASSA) is calling on the U.S. Consulate in Nogales to
withdraw the now-discredited warning, apologize to the many Americans who have been harmed by this
Consulate’s negligence and investigate who authorized the warning to be released without proper
research and verification.
The ASSA represents the thousands of Arizona residents and voters who own property in Sonora,
vacation there and count it as an important part of the Arizona lifestyle. Puerto Peñasco, Sonora
(sometimes referred to as Rocky Point) is the primary beach resort for Arizona residents and has a
reputation for safety and family-friendly stays. Misinformation and inaccurate press reports about the
beach destination cause significant harm to the many Americans with interests – personal, business and
property – in Rocky Point.
According to Aaron R. Hutman, Director of the ASSA, “I spoke to the Nogales Consular office on
Friday, May 21 prior to the publication of the warning online and they were aware they had nothing but
unconfirmed reports of dubious origin. I urged them not to publish without a proper investigation.
Since that time, the State Police in Sonora have investigated and the reports were either mistaken or a
hoax. Anyone who has traveled on the road between Sonoyta and Rocky Point knows how absurd the
warning was – the geography of Highway 8 and utter lack of escape routes for potential wrong-doers
makes an unauthorized checkpoint so implausible as to be silly.”
The only question remaining is how long it will take for the Nogales Consul to withdraw the warning
and issue an apology? If the Consul and Press wait until after Memorial Day to correct the record, it
will raise serious questions about their motives and integrity.
Memorial Day weekend is one of the most important weekends of the year for Puerto Peñasco.
American owners look forward to sharing their residences at the beach with family and friends. Other
Americans look forward to renting, making much needed income to support their family’s second home
investments. Still other Arizonans look forward to a weekend rental on the beach and a well-deserved
vacation. These are the people who have been hurt this week.
The economic loss to Arizona residents and American citizens caused by the mistaken Consular warning
are likely to be in the millions of dollars. American citizens own approximately 7,000 properties in
Puerto Peñasco.
For more information about the mistaken travel warning and efforts to correct the record, please call
(310) 755-8267 or write to​

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
ASSA​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Arizona Sonora
Stakeholders Association​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]​

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Thanks, Arizona citizens calling for a retraction and an apology very different than "Consul to Withdraw Warning".

I misunderstood earlier post.

First reaction...... Yeah ..... and now boo.

Now that I reread it(after my morning coffee) I understand that it's asking for a retraction NOT that a retraction is necessarily forthcoming from the Consulate.
It was all over talk radio yesterday in Phx, everyone has a story/opinion pro or mostly con about the dangers. I was hoping for something official to show people I know, that the situation was misreported or whatever you want to call it.