Summary of tax changes for 2014

jerry

From Surviving the Yucatan......also heard gray area boats in Mexico and condo renters better look out in 2014

New 2014 Tax Laws for Mexico that Affect Expats and Foreigners

Dec. 14 (update), 2013
Here’s a summary of the changes in Mexican tax laws affecting foreigners for 2014. This report comes from Lic. Spencer McMullen, a fine attorney in Jalisco, who specializes in legal issues affecting expats. You can contact Lic. McMullen at Chapala Law.

On 11/29/2013 Lic. McMullen reports:
“Very extensive reforms have been made to Mexico´s tax laws and have been finalized in November, 2013. These become effective on January 1, 2014, which does not give people or businesses a lot of time to prepare. This short lead time may cause problems for some people. First, all the appointment times at our local SAT offices in Jalisco (SAT = Mexico’s tax department) are filled for quite a while, and second, some of the changes affect banks and businesses quite a bit. I think it’s going to be a messy transition as many will be unable to comply in time with only 2 weeks left until the government goes on vacation and returns January 2nd when the new laws take effect and even then there may be delays of weeks for people to be able to get appointments at the tax office to set themselves up or make changes.

There are new IVA sales taxes.
It’s now going be 16% nationally (whereas it’s been about 11% in the border areas), and it will include taxes on soda, chewing gum, and pet food throughout Mexico. Those weren’t included in the past. So, people with pets should stock up at Costco before the new year. Dog shelters will be especially hard hit. For people driving back from up north after Christmas, or coming back from nationalizing their vehicles at the border, they’ll want to fill up their tanks near the border, where the gas tax will still be 11% until the end of the year.

Will anything change at customs (Aduana)?
Yes, temporary importation of certain goods will also start being taxed. That could open the door in the future for a tax on the temporary importation of vehicles. Not yet, though.

The mandatory use of customs agents for any value of goods to be imported has been eliminated. The use of an agent will be optional, which is a good thing because they’ll have to be more competitive in terms of rates and quality of service.

Also, customs is going to be checking the value of imported goods more closely and communicating with the countries where merchandise is leaving, to check declared values. People may be more likely to get caught if their car nationalization pedimento say the car is worth just $10,000 pesos, while it clearly is worth much more.

What about new banking regulations?
Starting in 2007, there had been a tax on large cash deposits: 2% on the amounts of deposits exceeding $15,000 pesos, which was increased in 2010 to 3% on amounts exceeding 15,000 pesos.

Those taxes have now been eliminated.
But … banks are now required to report to SAT any deposits over $15,000 pesos, and any payment of credit card debt of $20,000 pesos made at a time. SAT may also audit you and compare your credit card expenditures to your declared income. They can then contact you to explain these transactions within a certain time frame. If you don’t respond within that time frame (say, 20 days), they could establish liens and levies. And, of course, you wouldn’t respond if the address they have for you is old.

All of this means that it is very important for people to make sure their bank has up-to-date home addresses and email addresses. This is especially true for snowbirds. It also means that snowbirds will need to check their email frequently while they’re out of Mexico.

Also, banks will require people to have an RFC (tax ID number) in order to open a bank account. They have enabled the ability to get an RFC number online, but people first need a CURP number which has to be processed through immigration (INM). (Editor’s note: If you already have Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente, you MAY have been issued a CURP number. ~ ” Lic. McMullin reports: “Many who have temporal and permanent documents do not have CURP numbers, at times immigration issued them automatically and at times not, to be sure please check athttp://consultas.curp.gob.mx/CurpSP/ and if you have no record then you have no CURP number.”)

With offices closing for several weeks for the holidays, people may have problems in getting CURPs in January and may have to wait until February to open the account.

Anything new for businesses?
Yes, the current process for small business reporting (REPECO) will be eliminated. Currently, small businesses report their gross earnings every two months. For January, that will still be the case in order to report earnings for the November – December months. After that, there will be more paperwork. The process will come through the regular tax system. This means that earnings will need to be reported, and so will deductions, and facturas (invoices) – just like big businesses do today.

As before, the tax rates continue to fall between 2% and 35%. Note that there will be more paperwork, requiring a greater mastery of Spanish. My office will help people by getting them set up and familiar with the new system.

Another change is the elimination of the business IETU tax (single-rate flat tax started in 2007). Non-profits will start being required to be authorized by the SAT to receive donations, which would allow them to continue preferential tax treatment. That’s obviously going to be critical for them. They should probably start that process immediately, and try to get their major contributors to donate before January 1st.

New Electronic Factura Requirements:
The most controversial of the new business regulations is probably the requirement for electronic facturas and the elimination of paper facturas . The new rules also require giving all employees online facturas (CFDI) rather than paper facturas when they get paid, in order to be able to deduct their wages. That system may not be ready by January 1st, by either the SAT or the businesses, so that’s going to create a lot of problems.

What about tax changes for investors and real estate owners?
Mexico has caught up to many other countries and will tax capital gains on the sale of stock at a rate of 10% as well as tax dividends at the same rate of 10%.

For real estate sales there will be a maximum capital gains tax exemption pegged using the UDI index (investment units) with a new limit of 700,000 which equates to about 3,500,000 pesos so any gains over that amount from a sale will be taxed, the prior limit was 1,500,000 UDIs with that exemption waived if someone could prove they lived in the home for the preceding 5 year period.

That’s a lot of changes.
There are more… (The changes listed above) are just the ones that I think will affect expats the most. SAT is also firming up the tax code in other ways. They did some research to determine where and why they lost tax court cases in the past, and have now plugged some of the advantages taxpayers had in court. I’ll know more next week (1st week of December), so I can give you an update then when I go to another 5 hour tax update class.”http://www.chapala.com/wwwboard/webboard.html

Feel free to copy while giving proper attribution: YucaLandia/Surviving Yucatan.
© Steven M. Fry

Read-on MacDuff . . .

Jerry you are one of the few people actually providing useful info. :) This whole tax and grab attitude is not confined to Mexico but is worldwide.
I don't know if you are familiar with Armstrong Economics. he offers great insight as to why this is happening based on a very extensive study of cycles through history. I highly recommend his blog.
http://armstrongeconomics.com/armstrong_economics_blog/

Kenny

No kidding, you think Armstrong economics or this thread is useful information?
I did, I found this on the site and I guess it's very, uuh useful?
"However, the Twin Towers was really a terrorist attack they LET HAPPEN for the guys in MCC New York drew the Twin Towers on the wall of their prison cell with airplanes going into them 1 year BEFORE!

Last edited:

jerry

Armstrong sounds both really smart and really wrong to me but who knows....I liked this "Gold never actually broke out in real terms – only nominal. Adjusted for inflation, gold has actually been one of the worse investments since 1980. A $1,000 in 1980 invested in gold get you about $1,371 today compared to the Dow Jones that would yield at $16,000 plus dividends or closer to $18,00

He claims to have a complicated computer program which can "predict" the future. I am always skeptical of predictions. His are kind of interesting. He thinks the Euro union will break apart and oddly America too! he talks a lot about how desperate governments will tax, tax, tax. He called the downturn in Gold perfectly, however he thinks the price will rise significantly sometime between now and the fall of 2015. He predicts a huge deflationary downturn worldwide. So there it is make of it what you will or not....

Jerry posted a link to http://dollarvigilante.com
That looks like a libertarian, hard money, pro gold type of site, that echo's much of what Armstrong is saying. I thought he may find it interesting. Kenny I agree he kind of loses credibility when he talks about 9/11 conspiracy theory's

Kenny

He claims to have a complicated computer program which can "predict" the future. I am always skeptical of predictions. His are kind of interesting. He thinks the Euro union will break apart and oddly America too! he talks a lot about how desperate governments will tax, tax, tax. He called the downturn in Gold perfectly, however he thinks the price will rise significantly sometime between now and the fall of 2015. He predicts a huge deflationary downturn worldwide. So there it is make of it what you will or not....

Jerry posted a link to http://dollarvigilante.com
That looks like a hard money pro gold type of site that echo's much of what Armstrong is saying. I thought he may find it interesting. Kenny I agree he kind of loses credibility when he talks about 9/11 conspiracy theory's
I've looked over his answers to his cherry picked questions and he's all over the place! One minute he seems to have rational interpretations and thoughts about the world economy etc; but in the next breath he's using scripture to make a point. I'm also not real keen about the way he see's social justice as nothing more than a disruption to the real work at hand, making money.

I've looked over his answers to his cherry picked questions and he's all over the place! One minute he seems to have rational interpretations and thoughts about the world economy etc; but in the next breath he's using scripture to make a point. I'm also not real keen about the way he see's social justice as nothing more than a disruption to the real work at hand, making money.
Yes his observations appear to be all over the place, because he often refers back to events that happened in the past, sometimes the ancient past. The reason for this is, he looks at cycles and believes history repeats itself on a predictable basis. The reason it repeats in his view, is because human nature never changes. His theory may be hogwash however Churchill once said "history does not repeat but often rhymes" and he was a pretty smart guy.

His site is investment oriented, so yes it's all about making money. He is not a social advocate, even though his comments are highly critical of the way society functions, governments in particular.

I guess this thread has veered away from Rocky Point so I will end it at that!

jerry

Panama hat it is related as the attempt by Mexico,us and the Euros to control the movement of money around the world ends up stinging little guys like us.I think the future is good and feel Mexico will do great.They look like they might be shooting themselves in the foot a bit on real estate matters.I would be really careful about renting under the table this year and plan on putting my minimalist,environmentally sound design/build plan in Idaho rather than Mexico.....note to self...buy long johns!

Panama hat it is related as the attempt by Mexico,us and the Euros to control the movement of money around the world ends up stinging little guys like us.I think the future is good and feel Mexico will do great.They look like they might be shooting themselves in the foot a bit on real estate matters.I would be really careful about renting under the table this year and plan on putting my minimalist,environmentally sound design/build plan in Idaho rather than Mexico.....note to self...buy long johns!
Why not consider the Guadalajara Lake Chapala area? It has a great year round climate better than Idaho (unless you like skiing ). Guadalajara city looks very cosmopolitan and clean, it even has a Ritz Carlton, Sears and best Buy. have you ever been there? If you have I would love to hear your thoughts on that area.

I read a survey that named Guadalajara city as one of the most promising cities of the 21 century.

What is the cost of your minimalist,environmentally sound design/build plan?

Last edited:

Roberto

Thanks for the info Jerry. Mexico is not a business friendly country. Lots of arcane regulations and spotty enforcement. Non Mexicans get looked at a lot while others slide. If you are not fluent in Spanish, forget it.

mis2810

Why not consider the Guadalajara Lake Chapala area? It has a great year round climate better than Idaho (unless you like skiing ). Guadalajara city looks very cosmopolitan and clean, it even has a Ritz Carlton, Sears and best Buy. have you ever been there? If you have I would love to hear your thoughts on that area.

I read a survey that named Guadalajara city as one of the most promising cities of the 21 century.

What is the cost of your minimalist,environmentally sound design/build plan?
I'm in Guadalajara right now and I can tell you that it's a fantastic city. Very cosmopolitan but at the same time it retains a provincial feel. The vibe here is way less stressed than Mexico City. No weird tension in the air that there is a pickpocket around every corner. Believe me, I love Mexico City, it's my favorite cityt in the world, but if I had to move to central Mexico to a big city it would definitely be Guadalajara. Beautiful neigborhoods, tree lined streets, world class restaurants and hotels, very friendly people, close to beach areas.

jerry

We are working things out...a combo of onsite meets prefab.....best brains from Illinois grad school Architecture are using it for a grad school thesis
What is the cost of your minimalist,environmentally sound design/build plan?[/quote]