Summer fishing

Hey guys. New to this forum & RP. I had a bit of success this spring catching corvina, leatherjack, and rock bass off the rocks in Cholla, but I'm going to be spending the summer here and was looking for some guidance on what to fish for and when/where as the summer heats up. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hey guys. New to this forum & RP. I had a bit of success this spring catching corvina, leatherjack, and rock bass off the rocks in Cholla, but I'm going to be spending the summer here and was looking for some guidance on what to fish for and when/where as the summer heats up. Any advice would be appreciated!
Search this group for fishing....

End of the port next to Wrecked

End of las conchas past Tessoro resort in the mouth of estuaries at slack low tide.

Try swimsuits, cut bait, and kastmasters.

Search this group for fishing....

End of the port next to Wrecked

End of las conchas past Tessoro resort in theng mouth of estuaries at slack low tide.

Try swimsuits, cut bait, and kastmasters.
Thanks. I've read a bunch of older posts but most of the info is from springtime. What is around in mid/late summer or is it pretty much the same year round?

Go directly south of of the Old Port about forty miles. This will put you on "blue/black" deep clear waters. Look for patches of drifting Sargasso Weed, some might be fifty feet across some only a few strands of the yellow brown marine algae. Drop diamond jigs or heavy bucktails straight down below the weed.

If you get lucky you might nail a Yellow Tail or Dorado sometimes fifty or sixty feet below the weeds.

If no luck troll feather jigs or spoonbill divers along the many current/scum/weed/trash lines. Dorado, Black Skipjacks and Makos follow these lines.

If no luck head east about forty miles to Isla San Jorge. Troll the south side of the island and the underwater ridge that extends a few miles further south. Lunker Sierras, Mexican Barracudas, Leopard Groupers and Machetes abound there. You will tire out long before the fish do.

All do-able right now......If you can take the fucking heat and humidity and have a sea-worthy boat with plenty of gasolina.

JoseAz

Jim, can you fish around Isla San Jorge? i thought there was a designated sanctuary for the sea lions and birds

Go directly south of of the Old Port about forty miles. This will put you on "blue/black" deep clear waters. Look for patches of drifting Sargasso Weed, some might be fifty feet across some only a few strands of the yellow brown marine algae. Drop diamond jigs or heavy bucktails straight down below the weed.

If you get lucky you might nail a Yellow Tail or Dorado sometimes fifty or sixty feet below the weeds.

If no luck troll feather jigs or spoonbill divers along the many current/scum/weed/trash lines. Dorado, Black Skipjacks and Makos follow these lines.

If no luck head east about forty miles to Isla San Jorge. Troll the south side of the island and the underwater ridge that extends a few miles further south. Lunker Sierras, Mexican Barracudas, Leopard Groupers and Machetes abound there. You will tire out long before the fish do.

All do-able right now......If you can take the fucking heat and humidity and have a sea-worthy boat with plenty of gasolina.

Thanks for the info Jim!

Erico

What is the spiny fish caught at puerto penasco ( AKA Rocky Point) that some people on YouTube are calling a pompano? They do not look like pacific, florida or african pompanos. The only similarity is the basic shape, which lacks the distinctive fins and head shape of what I have known to be pompanos that I have caught in Florida or Puerto Rico.
Nevermind. It is a Leatherjacket.

Last edited:

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
What is the spiny fish caught at puerto penasco ( AKA Rocky Point) that some people on YouTube are calling a pompano? They do not look like pacific, florida or african pompanos. The only similarity is the basic shape, which lacks the distinctive fins and head shape of what I have known to be pompanos that I have caught in Florida or Puerto Rico.
Nevermind. It is a Leatherjacket.
We call them pompano because the local fishermen use that name for them. In my picture I am holding a corvina, but feel free to call it a sea trout or anything else. I defer to local usage when I can get it from my amigos down there.

audsley

This is a dilemma for me. Should you go along with local misclassifications or keep putting proper names on species and hope it will catch on?

Tell someone from Florida they can catch pompano at Rocky Point and they'll never trust you again. I've never eaten either, but prevailing opinion is that true pompano are good eating and longjaw leatherjacks really aren't. My experience with jacks in general is that they make excellent bait but relatively poor table fare.

Same with the halibut/flounder thing. The Cortez halibut is sold as flounder on the malecon and tastes like flounder, but local fishermen call them halibut even though they don't have the dense flesh of the Alaskan halibut you buy in the store. The Cortez flounder might have been a better name for our SOC fish.

Between language differences, local species variations and just plain mistakes, it can be pretty confusing.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
This is a dilemma for me. Should you go along with local misclassifications or keep putting proper names on species and hope it will catch on?

Tell someone from Florida they can catch pompano at Rocky Point and they'll never trust you again. I've never eaten either, but prevailing opinion is that true pompano are good eating and longjaw leatherjacks really aren't. My experience with jacks in general is that they make excellent bait but relatively poor table fare.

Same with the halibut/flounder thing. The Cortez halibut is sold as flounder on the malecon and tastes like flounder, but local fishermen call them halibut even though they don't have the dense flesh of the Alaskan halibut you buy in the store. The Cortez flounder might have been a better name for our SOC fish.

Between language differences, local species variations and just plain mistakes, it can be pretty confusing.
If you really want to be accurate, use the scientific designation. Nobody will know what you're talking about, but it will be accurate. As for people from Florida, I tell them there are no game fish in the Sea of Cortez. Who needs a bunch of gator heads out here? I honestly don't care what anyone calls the fish, I just like catching them. I also eat the local pompano/leatherjacks frequently. They are delicious if batter fired. I have even made ceviche out of them which was very good.

Old55

If you really want to be accurate, use the scientific designation. Nobody will know what you're talking about, but it will be accurate. As for people from Florida, I tell them there are no game fish in the Sea of Cortez. Who needs a bunch of gator heads out here? I honestly don't care what anyone calls the fish, I just like catching them. I also eat the local pompano/leatherjacks frequently. They are delicious if batter fired. I have even made ceviche out of them which was very good.
Gaterheads! I remember when Stewart dumped all those Bassboat bros onto the forum 10 years ago because we just were not fighting among ourselves enough! Headed to the Sledbilly bar in my mountain town to buy a round in honor of Jack Smith here in a bit ….wish me whatever!

joanC

Jack Smith is on a mission, aiming to sink a realty star pretending to be qualified to be a leader. There needs be be a new requirement that to be a lawmaker in the Senate, Congress, President or Vice President , one must have a law degree.

Old55

You guys need to try Arturo some time….gets slower in the summer so you can get out.https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=660402782789772&set=pcb.660403076123076