SUMMER READS

Old55

Well he was a master ….sad day
BREAKING NEWS: Cormac McCarthy, a preeminent voice in American literature over the better part of the past half-century, died today at his home in Santa Fe, N.M., his publisher, Knopf, confirmed. He was 89

audsley

Never figured out why critics didn't like All the Pretty Horses. I thought it was great.

I can't believe they're still trying to make Blood Meridian into a film. A gripping read, but traumatized audiences will ask "Why?" And this is the judgment of someone who thought Nightmare Alley was a masterpiece, and damn the faint-hearted if they can't take it.

Old55

Never figured out why critics didn't like All the Pretty Horses. I thought it was great.

I can't believe they're still trying to make Blood Meridian into a film. A gripping read, but traumatized audiences will ask "Why?" And this is the judgment of someone who thought Nightmare Alley was a masterpiece, and damn the faint-hearted if they can't take it.
Watched no country for old men again after reading the book.Much of the dialog was right out of the book.Those boys both had some hard bark on them!

audsley

I'd read both books - All the Pretty Horses and No Country for Old Men - before seeing the movies. Both were faithful re-tellings of the books. In No Country, the Coen brothers, geniuses in their own field, had sense enough not to tinker with someone else's masterpiece. A hunter stumbling across lost drug money, then being stalked by a demonic predator, kept up the tension and gave audiences a sense of where the action might be going.

Billy Bob Thornton took on filming Pretty Horses. Literary critics had liked the book, but neither critics nor audiences were wild about the film. Apparently the meandering, episodic nature of the story failed to sustain their interest. Plot turns were unpredictable leaving audiences confused about where it was all headed and failed to build a coherent narrative between episodes. Thornton had wanted to do it as an 8-part TV series. It might have worked better that way.

Old55

I'd read both books - All the Pretty Horses and No Country for Old Men - before seeing the movies. Both were faithful re-tellings of the books. In No Country, the Coen brothers, geniuses in their own field, had sense enough not to tinker with someone else's masterpiece. A hunter stumbling across lost drug money, then being stalked by a demonic predator, kept up the tension and gave audiences a sense of where the action might be going.

Billy Bob Thornton took on filming Pretty Horses. Literary critics had liked the book, but neither critics nor audiences were wild about the film. Apparently the meandering, episodic nature of the story failed to sustain their interest. Plot turns were unpredictable leaving audiences confused about where it was all headed and failed to build a coherent narrative between episodes. Thornton had wanted to do it as an 8-part TV series. It might have worked better that way.
I liked the movie myseld but it was pretty brutal in parts. Speaking of rough I would have a hard time getting through this summer list: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/art-books-music/g43481981/best-summer-beach-reads-2023/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=arb_ga_har_md_pmx_us_urlx_17944069560&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy9-kBhCHARIsAHpBjHhIAc_ciI85eVupbhmUiHMbH3639pWdK0CTjEAIYdvNN6GFZd-7J9YaAkSrEALw_wcB

audsley

Yes, this looked like a chick lit compilation and would be rough to get through in the same way shopping with my wife while trying to look interested is rough. I suggest another source.

But then what's with this "summer read" concept? That's Atlantic Coast thinking, especially New England, where the beach and ocean are boring destinations for stressed-out Easterners to unwind and lie on a beach with a book. Magazines like Harpers are mainly published on the East coast where people think everyone else is, or should be, like them. Far different from the Sonoran Coast, where people go for stimulation and need to stay aware of their surroundings at all times. I can stay home and read a book, and with the current temperature forecast this looks like a good week to do it.

Old55

Yes, this looked like a chick lit compilation and would be rough to get through in the same way shopping with my wife while trying to look interested is rough. I suggest another source.

But then what's with this "summer read" concept? That's Atlantic Coast thinking, especially New England, where the beach and ocean are boring destinations for stressed-out Easterners to unwind and lie on a beach with a book. Magazines like Harpers are mainly published on the East coast where people think everyone else is, or should be, like them. Far different from the Sonoran Coast, where people go for stimulation and need to stay aware of their surroundings at all times. I can stay home and read a book, and with the current temperature forecast this looks like a good week to do it.
I spent a lot of the last 5 years on the east coast from Maine to Florida helping my employer look for , buy , remodel,rethink things and repeat.Ended up in mostly Beaufort SC. awesome fishing ! These clubs you can join and use boats is such a great concept.A awesome way to explore the coast. Ended up hanging here.A real nice fake town on the coast.