Sunday random checks in Lukeville overwhelm travelers

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
Came back on a rare, Sunday mid-day time. I knew something was up when an agent took a special liking to my license plate number after producing a an orange card, scribbling on it, tucking it into my passport and deftly placing under the wing of my windshield wiper. She who must be obeyed, calmly asked if I had anything to declare (second time), then gestured and ordered me to visit stall number two.

This made me think of the hundreds of times I have crossed over at Lukeville in 33 years. Carrying all the food, friends, ice chests, sometimes trailer buggys, ATC's, camper trailers, friends stuff, luggage, and all the miles that come with it. It reminded me of bringing down 45 friends and cooking for them on Sandy Beach for 4 days back in the early nineties after graduating from culinary arts school. My assistant and I came back on the fifth day, completely exhausted and had a hard time answering the gate agents questions coherently and was summoned to 'pull it over' into one of the stalls on the north end of the customs station with the permanent long cement tables that have been there as long as I can remember. "Unload," the agents said. "All of it?!!" asking incredulously. "YES" came the reply. Sheesh! We survived that moment, but just barely. Unloading a truck and trailer in front of border patrol is neither funny or fun for that matter, then have to put it all back (the agents never help with that part...).

I pulled up the car under the ubiquitous cement awning and waited. Noticeably, the car in stall one was going through an arduous undertaking. Luggage strewn across the long side table, stuff on the ground, trunk, hood and all four doors opened, casual comments from US Agents murmured.

An agent asked me to come forward grabbed my passport off the window and asked me the same questions, where going? Where been? How long? Anything to declare? We spoke about a few blackberries leftover (but those are ok to bring across, right?) and a slice of cheese in the cooler. "Come this way," he said. "Do you want me to open the trunk for you?" "Uh, yes," came the reply.

I was led into the 'processing' room and told to sit on the pew (not the more comfy padded chairs along the wall), and wait for a death sentence. Sitting in the comfy chairs along the other wall was a woman visibly upset, had been crying and boyfriend/husband nowhere to be found. The contents of her handbag were strewn across the high counter like a yard sale in jail. There was a cigarette, prescription meds, wallets of various degree, and various trinkets normally found on a rocky point woman traveler.

The only reason I knew the agents had discovered something, as it was casually mentioned by a passing agent to the processing agent as there was something said on whether 'she' had it on her or the boyfriend/husband "was with the pot". "I think it was him," the passing agent was heard to say and disappeared into the the back room.

The processing agent who was typing away, double checking docs and ID's then blurted out, "So do you plan to return through here again?" "Well Ya!" through a sobbing face (this is when I figured they were home or condo owners). "Just to let you know, that when you find yourself in a predicament like this, the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT WILL NEVER TRUST YOU AGAIN, EVER!" Well, that made my ass on the pew feel even harder than it was. "You mean, like on a No Fly List?" she sobbed. And the agent went on to mention more scenarios and the conversation trailed off as a new distraction came into play.

A moment later, my agent returned, caught my attention, waved me up and beckoned me towards the exit and said, "Sir? Okay, you're free to go, you're all clear." Perplexed by all of this and wanting to know more details about not being trusted by the US Government ever again, what they really got popped for and why they would ever bring pot over the border casually and how much did they have, and did they own a condo or a house, did they ever go to Manny's or JJ's and would they be stuck in the pokey in Lukeville overnight after a grueling search? I sort of motioned I would be getting up, but lagged back to hear any other juicy tidbits to report back to anyone who would listen to this incredibly boring story all the while trying to remember every single detail. . .

The agent gave me the second wave and I knew I was a free man. Thrust back into the blinding light of day and the rising heat, it felt good. My blackberry stash was not admitted into evidence, nor was my slice of Fresh n Easy swiss cheese going to be detained or confiscated (lunch!) and the fact that the flask of Barbados 'cleaning fluid' in the trunk would not be questioned or held in a 1x1x1x1 foot holding crate, awaiting X-ray or DNA sampling or worse, dumped out on the street. No, I was a free man able to go on his way.

I returned to my car, and waited patiently standing by the door before getting in. I did check to see if my keys were still in the ignition (they were), a stood there some more. You see, when you have been given the all clear in Lukeville Substation it means you are no longer invited to 'hang out', 'casually observe', or be 'one of the guys' for that matter. You are to put in, start up and quietly leave as if they were to say. "We don't need you anymore, NOW GIT!", tail tucked between you legs. Any sign of disrespect could land you back on the pew in seconds!

After a few moments, my agent crossed over to address me again. "Waiting for something?", with the air of 'You Been Here For Hour, You Go Now!' "Um yeah... passport?" The agent not letting on that he forgot to get the passport from the 'processor' as he summoned my release sheepishly stated, "It's coming". Like I was going to come down next week to pick it up! As the all in important document was returned to my hand, I asked the agent out of curiosity why I was pulled over? "Randomed" was the answer. As I walked back to my car, gleefully knowing I had 'beaten' the system again and would return with all the same confidence as I did when this all started a short while before. But out the corner of my eye, I saw an attractive, gentrified couple who owned a brand new Ford, being led away to the holding room, her sobbing and wailing away (just kidding!) to await their fate in the hands of US Agents.

Its been said that border patrol/customs agents some days are quite nice and on other days can be in a foul mood, but keep in mind, US Agents take their jobs seriously and so should you, at all times.

Passport in hand, freedom in check, my reliable old car fired right up and I eased out of the stall and headed north. Now I was really hungry! Why would I want a little marijuana spoil my day and ruin a dinner reservation with friends at Little Saigon in Glendale that night?

PS. All of this occurred in less than 15 minutes, once the gate agent finished with (condemned) me.

The Dire Straights CD going north never sounded so good.

Buen Viaje a Todas

Be safe out there fellow Rocky Point friends.

Reporting live from my crib in sunny Phoenix, I'm Mr. PHX :twisted:

Last edited:
I came back across by myself last summer on a Wednesday afternoon. Truck not very loaded up just basically my cooler, fishing gear, and some beach toys. Got asked about 36 different questions. How much is my vehicle worth? What did i pay for it? When did i get it? Did i pay cash or take a loan out? Do i own a home? Whats my job? etc etc etc. The officer spent some time under the truck, kicked my tires, tapped my truck bed fender wells and then sent me to an inspection bay. Even though i have nothing to worry about you start to think what if. Anyways they end up scoping the gas tank with a camera and finding nothing. Sent me on the way but that day the border patrol agents didnt even dare crack a smile or pretend like they were even trying to be nice. Guess i was there on one of those days where they arent being nice. I went back 4 months later with 2 others in my truck that didnt have passports and just drivers licenses/birth cert and was in and out with no questions asked. Just some days i guess.....

JimMcG

We came back across to the US last Monday afternoon to no line, and very friendly and informative agents. From the banter we learned that the passcards go to one expedited line for scanning, and the passports go to another line. The scanning equipment can't read the passport chip and the passcard chip can't always be read either. We were asked the usual questions and passed through with a friendly, "have a good day".

playaperro

El Pirata
Looks like passcard chip is the way to go I have an older passport what do i need to do to get a card, I need my passport going down monday.

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
Sooooo, I'm getting mixed reviews about my story. Mi Amigos, its a story. Someone told me I should be a writer, someone told me I am fueling the fire regarding fear of the border. Help me out here. Weigh in and tell me the good things you got out of my story.

Kenny

What I'm getting out of this thread is the positive response to the card, and that a lot of people are looking at it a lot differently than they did just a short time ago.

If you get pulled over for secondary inspection, it's the agent's job to unload your vehicle and perform the inspection. It's also his job to replace and repack your items the way he found them. That's what the agents get paid for. You don't have to do their job. They can ask you anything, but it's your responsibility to know your rights. If you have a problem with any individual agent, ask to speak to a supervisor. I'm surprised nobody picked up on this earlier. Comments?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
The one time in 38 years that I was ever pulled over for a secondary, the agents completely unloaded and took my van apart. There was stuff piled 5 feet high. They even took my door panels off......Did they reload and put my van back together? No. I even said something about it and got a belligerent and sarcastic response......

Meh. I specifically pack the top items in the trunk last because they are delicate in some nature and/or need to be accessed quickly further on in the trip. You really think your inspector is going to take the bag at the bottom of the pile and pack everything he/she took out in reverse? Doubtful.

Ladyjeeper - As I posted previously, the agents can ask you to do anything. If you comply, you are doing their job. In the case that you cite, you have a perfect right to stand your ground, and request a supervisor, especially if you have been treated in a disrespectful manner.

Yeah, seriously, in the US, when they raid your home of suspected drug dealing or whatever, I've seen it several times that the MANTIS, SWAT teams or whomever are not responsible for damages or turning your home upside down, even if you were wrongfully searched. I'm sure you can seek damages afterward, with mixed results (especially if they, like, shot you when you were trying to defend your home, thinking it was a bunch of thugs posing as actual federal marshals, etc.), but yeah, I don't see that scenario happening at the border. Though, open minds here, would love to get more info on it, Jack!

Roberto

ICE Special Agents acting under border search authority may search, detain, seize, retain, and share electronic devices, or information contained therein, with or without individual suspicion.

The powers that ICE has are frightening. Al Quida has been very effective in reducing Freedom in teh US doncha think.

If you read between the lines in the document, they can retain your device for 30 days...with extensions for "cause" for a longer period of time.

GZa - Border Agents have the authority to do what is necessary to accomplish a legal compliance search of anything coming into the US. Several years ago, there was a case involving the interior of a vehicle being severely damaged during a routine border inspection. The court ruled in favor of the defendant, and the Government had to pay to have the vehicle restored to its original condition. Due to the lapse of time since this decision, there may be memory decay on the part of the Border Inspection Agents, and a new challenge may be necessary in order to define responsibility for restoring the condition of vehicles or items searched.

Border Inspection Agents have the right and authority under Title 10 of the US Code to search you and your vehicle entering the country, but you are not required to provide labor in assisting with such search. You also have the right to observe them during the search process. There have been instances of personal items being tampered with, stolen, or even contraband planted. All agents aren't honest. That's why there is an Internal Investigations Division.

Roberto - Although ICE is specifically mentioned in the electronic device inspection policy, it applies to all Border Inspection Agents, and only at border entry points. ICE primarilly has jurisdiction inside the country beyond the 100 mile border limit, picking up responsibility from the Border Patrol. Actually, the Border Patrol isn't allowed to work in some cities within the 100 mile border limit. Tucson is an example. Tucson is within 100 miles of the border, but is under the jurisdiction of ICE, not the Border Patrol.

Roberto -

"Al Quida has been very effective in reducing Freedom in teh US doncha think."

I don't agree. It's the Marxist Obama Administration that uses any excuse possible to restrict the freedom of US citizens. For example, why is it necessary for US Border Agents to be armed with machine guns, inspecting US citizens leaving the country, while those weapons aren't necessary for inspecting foreignors entering the US? Wake up America!