Surf Fishing Basics

ericmday

Hello! I've always fished lakes in AZ. But interested in surf fishing RP this June. Purchased a long pole and sufficient reel. I am a total newbie here! What kind of line should i put on the reel? What is the basic set up? Have purchased some spoons and kastmasters. Also want to try bait. Thanks for your help!

rplarry

Well Known Member
Hello! I've always fished lakes in AZ. But interested in surf fishing RP this June. Purchased a long pole and sufficient reel. I am a total newbie here! What kind of line should i put on the reel? What is the basic set up? Have purchased some spoons and kastmasters. Also want to try bait. Thanks for your help!
Welcome.

Most everyone on this site is super helpful. However, this question has probably been asked about 100x and there is a wealth of information you scan, search and read through. I would suggest you do that and than feel free to come back with specific questions you might have once you have read through a ton of informative prior Q & A posts.

GEEKMEISTER

I have a great suggestion. Just use your bass rod with a Shad rattle bait and cast and retrieve. I slammed 6 halibut off the beach at the Reef! It is better when the tide is going out after high tide.

audsley

Well Known Member
Braid is a mess when you get a tangle but will get you farther out there. I recommend it for shore fishing for that reason. Walmart sells Power Pro braid 10 lb test and up. The guys who fish the shore around Rocky Point can better advise you regarding line weight. Where I go I never use smaller than 50 lb and usually tie on at least 10 feet of fluorocarbon to absorb the shock of a hard hit, but I doubt you'll need that there.

If you wade be very careful about sting rays especially in June. They're more plentiful in warmer water. And I happen to believe they're worse when the tide is going out.

ernesto

Well Known Member
I've been fishing the reef off Las Conchas a long time. You couldn't help bet catch trigger and bass. They bite on anything, but corvina and flounder are the prize. Haven't caught anything in the last 3 months. Snorkeled and kayaked out and there is nothing. Anyone got any idea what happened to the reef fish?

estevan

My spinning setup is a 10' surf rod, Penn Pursuit III, braided line with fluorocarbon leader. 1 oz kastmasters and krocodile spoons work well. I like using a Sabiki Rig with a krocodile spoon sometimes. Baitfishing I use a hi-lo rig with a 1.5-2 oz pyramid sinker. Squid is the best bait but a cut up fish works fine. Fly fishing is also effective from shore and the most fun.

AzUmassted

My spinning setup is a 10' surf rod, Penn Pursuit III, braided line with fluorocarbon leader. 1 oz kastmasters and krocodile spoons work well. I like using a Sabiki Rig with a krocodile spoon sometimes. Baitfishing I use a hi-lo rig with a 1.5-2 oz pyramid sinker. Squid is the best bait but a cut up fish works fine. Fly fishing is also effective from shore and the most fun.
I'm headed down on friday to do some Fly Fishing from the beach, anything around right now? recos for colors, patterns sizes?

ernesto

Well Known Member
I've been fishing the reef off Las Conchas a long time. You couldn't help bet catch trigger and bass. They bite on anything, but corvina and flounder are the prize. Haven't caught anything in the last 3 months. Snorkeled and kayaked out and there is nothing. Anyone got any idea what happened to the reef fish?
No replies eh? I've talked to numerous people fishing on the beach. All report the same. Something has changed.

estevan

I'm headed down on friday to do some Fly Fishing from the beach, anything around right now? recos for colors, patterns sizes?
I replied to your other post, but size 2 clousers, chartreuse/white during the day and black when it gets dark. I've had some of my best fishing down there with a headlamp on. Poppers are fun but not always as effective. It's more about finding the fish than what you're throwing.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I saw on IG pangas gill netting right outside the first estuary last week... Pry a good a chance that's why nobody is catching anything.