Surf fishing from the Mirador the last weekend of March...

Anyone have input on whether this will be a good time? The sole reason for this trip is fishing, and a good buddy of mine is flying in from Idaho just to make this trip with me. We'll be there from the 28th thru the 31st and plan on surf fishing all day, and maybe hoping on a boat if we feel frisky. Full moon is the 27th and I'm hoping the tides will be good then?

Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated!

Roberto

I would go out to La Pinta or the Morua and spend the days fishing there. Should be very quiet with miles of beautiful beach. The Mirador is not so much impacted by Semana Santa as Sandy beach but with the new public beach there might be more action. Calle 13 takes the brunt of the action so plan on avoiding that area day and night.

mondone

Whitecaps
I got a new fishing kayak that I plan to use of my beach in Encanto, but now you have me thinking of also using it in Morua behind me. What part of the estuary is a good place to fish and what can I expect to catch next week?

Roberto

I'd fish the mouth of the estuary as the tide comes in. Paddle out and float in along the tide, back and forth. Who knows what you will catch but I have seen some nice corvina come right off the beach.

I got a new fishing kayak that I plan to use of my beach in Encanto, but now you have me thinking of also using it in Morua behind me. What part of the estuary is a good place to fish and what can I expect to catch next week?
I've caught nice corvina right off the beach in Encanto. Usually evenings seem good. But the estuary mouth is a better bet - especially if the tide is high morning or evening.

mondone

Whitecaps
I've caught nice corvina right off the beach in Encanto. Usually evenings seem good. But the estuary mouth is a better bet - especially if the tide is high morning or evening.
Best bet Kastmasters? Crankbaits? What size and what wt. of line and gear? What about bait like rock bass or trigger pieces? I have never eaten corvina. Are they good eating? Best way to prepare them?

jerry

I like to cook the Corvina on individual foil on the closed webber with lime,peppers,garlic,olive oil....they are great for fish tacos

Best bet Kastmasters? Crankbaits? What size and what wt. of line and gear? What about bait like rock bass or trigger pieces? I have never eaten corvina. Are they good eating? Best way to prepare them?
Everyone swears by Kastmasters, but I always do better with Crankbaits. I use saltwater crankbaits, usually blue and silver but other colors seem fine, in about 4" size. I like Rebel Fast-trac, but it doesn't matter. If they're biting, they'll hit anything so it's really what can stay in the strike zone, can cast well, and not get hung up. Disclaimer, I've caught corvina right near the Encanto beach *while fishing from my kayak*. I've never had much success catching them fishing from shore but others have. From shore, Kastmasters are nice because they cast so far.

I only seem to catch rock bass, puffers, and guitar fish on bait.

Roberto

Thanks for the info, folks. What is semana santa??
It is absoulutely the busiest time of the year here. Folks come from all over Sonora and Baja as well as from the US.

Just occured to me to ask if you had reservations or a place to stay as rentals are usually jammed. The RV parks should be alright but I would check even there.

Yea I do already have confirmed reservations so I'll definitely be coming down. Had I known it was going to be so busy we would have planned another date, but my buddy has has already bought his flight from Idaho and the room is already paid for. So it's going down. Looks like we'll have to deal with whatever hand we're dealt :) still better than being at work :)