Surf Fishing in October

Roberto

I've rented a place in Las Conchas in mid Oct. Just wondering if there is any good fishing from the shore in that area?
What section are you renting in Unconscious ??
Watch for sea birds diving. When you see intense activity like that along the shore there are fish there. Many say incoming tide is best but there are areas there with rock structure that is under water at high tide and easily fished from shore. If you go out to the end past the big hi rise, Tesorro, you can fish the Marua estuary as the tide rips in. I see pangas working close in all the time.

AZRob

That area I had best luck 2 hrs before dark. Than right before sun rise. When tides out look for the deep cuts in the beach where the water gathers, so when tide comes in that is going to be the deep part with the scavenger fish in it and the bigger ones that eat them.
Last time I had bad luck with spoons I had great luck with rubber fish jigs 1/2 oz head with a curly tail with body green/black with silver flakes in it. I was killing with it. The fish bit the tail off and I was still nailing em with no tail.

Just watch when you wade out, the schools of bait fish will come close to you and what ever is chasing them will too. Look out for sharks chasing them, if you see a bunch of larger fish jumping out of the water, something is chasing them. PS at those times the rays come in to eat to. So shuffle your feet when walking.

Kelney

I just got back from an extended weekend off las Conchas. I had no one to go off shore with on my boat as my son is not a big fisherman so I headed to the beach and did OK. I was fishing with castmasters in a variety of colors as well as metal minnow looking casting jigs. When the fish were biting it did not matter what I threw at them, they bit it. Same thing for when they were not biting. No matter what I threw at them, they were having none of it. The secret for fishing that area, is if you want to have good success, you need to wade off shore to at minimum, waist level. At times you can be 50-75 yards from the water line. I see people fishing from the beach and they barely get their ankles wet and I rarely see them catch anything except at high tide. By the way, you will get hung up if your fishing with lures over a rocky section. It is very common for me to swim out to where my lure is and I give my pole a couple of bounces when I am over the spot and my lure is free. I then swim back to where I can touch bottom and start casting again. If your not a strong swimmer then I would suggest you bring a lot of lures. I am sure people watching me think I am nuts.

I caught a couple of "firsts" from shore. A lady fish, baby leopard grouper and a baby gulf grouper. My other mix bag included rock bass, trigger fish including a few pretty large ones that I typically see off shore and a sierra. I struck out on the corvina. I slayed them in June but they were having nothing to do with my lures this time around. They were jumping all around me teasing me though. Wish I had pics but as I mentioned I am typically away from the beach so I never get any pics as well I throw everything back as it is a hassle walk back to shore to put them in my cooler. I was also getting rocked up for the first time from shore. I just gave them a minute to settle down and then pulled hard in an upward motion and that seemed to work.

As Dan stated, "No such thing as bad fishin'" I was having a blast even during the time were I could not buy a bite.

YouNameIt

Going down on Weds for 5 days, staying at Encanto Living for the first time and looking forward to some peace and quite as well as some time on the water. I usually fly fish on stream and lakes but have a couple of surf casting poles but never did anything but hook up a sand weight with squid throw it out and wait...waiting for two years now with that strategy so looking to change my luck.

What is the rig and action using the lures?

Also going to try the estuary as my wife's girl friend told me she fished right off the south shore above the Mayan golf course and they killed them on lures (and she doesn't even fish).
I was surprised Mayan security let them fish there.

Any pointers are appreciated or at least tell me a fish story I can claim as my own to tell friends back home.

Kelney

I am a fan of light action rod and reels. I have surf rods and such but they are a little overkill for the action you will encounter from shore. If you have a spinning reel you use for the lakes and such, that will work fine. I had bought a Fin Nor 3000 series reel this summer and matched it up with a 6'6" 8-12 lb rod and it did well for me. I also had a cheap Quantum reel that I put on an old Zebco rod and I think I actually preferred this set up as it was a little lighter. The reel needed a good lube job when I got home as it was pretty crusty sounding at the end of the trip. Both were lined with 8lb flourocarbon.
You could get away with just getting an inexpensive spinning reel outfit from Walmart. Just bring a screw driver set and some reel lube if you partake in my style of shore fishing as the reel tends to spend a great deal of time underwater while you are releasing fish or sea weed.

I pretty much only fish LC and I always have a blast. Havent fished October before but if it pulls in fish like Kelney says im missing out. I usually am down in Feb and its slow fishing, really slow. I do agree with wading out in the water but I normally only do that on the outgoing and incoming AM tides and have lots of success.

I throw 1oz chrome/blue/silver lures in any shape but mostly in jig form. Also a drop shot rig with squid from the fish market or snails that you collect in the tide pools work best. If you get into small rock bass just cut one up for some bait as well. Either way the bait needs to be fresh.

I use a 6'6 inch medium rod with a penn 3000 series sargus reel and 12lb mono. That setup has done a ton of damage over the last 3 years. Good luck! I have a few youtube videos from the last two summer trips which are kind of long but worth the watch if you are bored.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wbplamf

VonDog

El Pescador
Just got back today but fished west of Wrecked on the Reef. Early am and late pm was the best with Rock bass, trigger, and even a small Golden spotted bass. Used lead head with soft plastics and a 1 oz cast master. x2 what Roberto said! I've had good luck fishing the edges of the Marua estuary wading out using anything from a cast masters to jigs and baiting up.