Surfcast puerto penasco

AZdan117

Going to puerto penasco mid February. I am a surf caster from Rhode Island. I use top water lures and epoxy jigs. Will these lures work in rocky point?

Don Juan

Hi AZDan. I was born in providence, grew up in Warwick. I know several others down in RP from RI and Mass.

I'll be down Feb 3rd. Surf casting may work off the port next to wrecked on the reef. I prefer the estuary next to tessoro for Flounder, Corvina and other species.

31°16'51.5"N 113°26'14.1"W

I like swim bait with large eyes on jig head. 6 inch or so with paddle tail. Or a nice castmaster.

Follow Eric on Instagram....learned a lot from him

Keep in touch on FB.....let's go fishing

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
AZDan you are on the right track. I would add spoons as an option. Corvina are the only local fish that hit surface from my experience. The do not hit poppers, but love twitch baits and prop baits. You are not going to catch huge fish off the shore, so consider tackle you would use for large mouth bass. Corvina are similar to weakfish aka spotted sea trout in the Atlantic. The one in my picture is exceptionally large (my lifetime best from 50 years of casting).

Last edited:

Don Juan

Appreciate the information. We are staying at the Sandy Beach Resort. How is the fishing at this beach?
Personally I feel it's a waste. I've had luck here off the pier

Fishing Pier by Wrecked

Also here off the shore past JJs Cantina. You could eat lunch and hang out at JJS

CHOLLA Bay by JJs

Also see people fishing by the Marina (public launch) don't know that I'd eat anything I caught by the boats lol

Public Launch Area

These are good options if you don't care to venture out. You can try surf casting from the beach by the pier opposite side of Wrecked too. That pier has created quite a habitat for fish.

AZdan117

Thanks for those locations. What is the walking distance from the Sonoran sun Sandy beach resort. If we cross paths when I am there, I will buy you a beer for the intel.

john taber

Thanks for those locations. What is the walking distance from the Sonoran sun Sandy beach resort. If we cross paths when I am there, I will buy you a beer for the intel.
I am at the Sonoran Sea which is 3 condominium associations to the east. Right next to you to the west is a large white condo association called esmerelda. It's half finished and has a tiki bar called diegos. A little spendy but convenient for you - If you look past that to the west you're going to see a rock (man made pier) everyone calls the home port where they are supposed to have cruise ships in the future - LONG STORY....

You can walk out the center of that (its a road) and fish off the sides if you don't mind climbing or fish off the end which is more managable.

That's where listed this:

The others you will not want to walk to. Your fishing between esmerelda and that rock port should be decent.

The walk from Sonoran Sun to the Pier is under 1 mile. Low tide is easiest as the sand is more hard packed.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Appreciate the information. We are staying at the Sandy Beach Resort. How is the fishing at this beach?
There are a lot of people so not the best spot. Better to fish off the rocks near Cholla or the Malecon in town. I mostly fish an hour south which requires 4x4.

Old55

Well Known Member
I am at the Sonoran Sea which is 3 condominium associations to the east. Right next to you to the west is a large white condo association called esmerelda. It's half finished and has a tiki bar called diegos. A little spendy but convenient for you - If you look past that to the west you're going to see a rock (man made pier) everyone calls the home port where they are supposed to have cruise ships in the future - LONG STORY....

You can walk out the center of that (its a road) and fish off the sides if you don't mind climbing or fish off the end which is more managable.

That's where listed this:

The others you will not want to walk to. Your fishing between esmerelda and that rock port should be decent.

The walk from Sonoran Sun to the Pier is under 1 mile. Low tide is easiest as the sand is more hard packed.
John, so the guards are not stopping people from going out there anymore ? Cool

AZdan117

Going to be at the Sonoran Sun Sandy Beach Resort Feb 17. Any new reports about Surfcasting success in that area?

AZRob

Well Known Member
John, so the guards are not stopping people from going out there anymore ? Cool
I don't think he or others will be stopping people in general from going down to the beaches.
But there's going to be a big request to find someone to come out and tow someone from the beach. You know people are going to get stuck. I seen a new jeep get stuck. Last time we were down.

JoseAz

Well Known Member
The last hurricane event severly eroded the few pedestrian acess points on the east end of Las Conchas. Where there used to be foot trails between some houses, there are 15ft cliffs of eroded dunes. Some of the locations next to vacant lots are being used to bury some of the sea wall debris. Maybe they will reestablish that acess.

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
The last hurricane event severly eroded the few pedestrian acess points on the east end of Las Conchas. Where there used to be foot trails between some houses, there are 15ft cliffs of eroded dunes. Some of the locations next to vacant lots are being used to bury some of the sea wall debris. Maybe they will reestablish that acess.
Contractors are also dumping the construction debris/sea wall debris after the sun goes down and wherever they feel like it. I think the worst spot to dump was on the CEDO property. The homeowners getting renovations or sea wall repair need to assure the garbage is getting dumped properly. I’m sure the project was quoted including dump fees just another way Mexicans can shove a few more pesos in their pocket.

Old55

Well Known Member
Contractors are also dumping the construction debris/sea wall debris after the sun goes down and wherever they feel like it. I think the worst spot to dump was on the CEDO property. The homeowners getting renovations or sea wall repair need to assure the garbage is getting dumped properly. I’m sure the project was quoted including dump fees just another way Mexicans can shove a few more pesos in their pocket.
Where ever you go the local construction guys generally are the hardest on the environment. My Idaho mountain town is the same way.