Tamale hunt

bringitbig

Well Known Member
Coming down for the bike rally in a few weeks and I want to bring some tamales back. 2 years ago I found a guy that sells them out of his converted van or truck. I think he was on Sinaola, north of Fransciso Kino. He had his van on the west side of the road. The van didn't look like it had moved in a long time, I think it was white in color. He had several different types and oh so good. I can't find him using aerial maps as I was hoping he has been in that location for a lengthy time. Can anyone clarify where he is? And/or other places to get good tamales, and different varieties?

Thanks.

Landshark

Well Known Member
I like the tamales from the tortillaria on Sinola, the one about a block south of the fruiteria, same side of the road. Never tried taking them back since they contain meat and it is prohibited at the border.

Last edited:

bringitbig

Well Known Member
Would this place be where they used to sell tortillas on the porch but now have a little yellow building? Name starts with a L.

Landshark

Well Known Member
That's the place! In addition to great tortillas they sell homemade tamales. The lady that makes them is usually there. They are red beef tamales with a piece of potato, a slice of chili, and an olive cooked into them. We usually dig in while still parked out front!

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
I found this place a few trips back while en route to Panaderia Cornejo for bread/doughnuts. You just take Calle 13 east and its right on the corner where you turn left to get to Cornejo (which is also fantastic BTW). I'm not a tamale expert but we liked both the corn and beef ones we tried (and my wife is Mexican so I guess that should count for something that she liked them jaja). Only thing is you need to get there earlish, sometimes the lady only stays until 9am or so- when they're gone gone, they're gone, and she's gone too. I called the number and its an older lady, so it seems she sends the tamales off with someone else to man the roadside stand. I think anyone who speaks spanish could call to make an order and pickup either there or at the lady's house.

I'm definitely gonna try the place on Sinaloa now to compare!

Last edited:

HILL BOY

Well Known Member
The last time we came back across the US side they told me Tamales were OK to bring back sometimes you justify don't know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddez

I found this place a few trips back while en route to Panaderia Cornejo for bread/doughnuts. You just take Calle 13 east and its right on the corner where you turn left to get to Cornejos (which is also fantastic BTW). I'm not a tamale expert but we liked both the corn and beef ones we tried (and my wife is Mexican so I guess that should count for something that she liked them jaja). Only thing is you need to get there earlish, sometimes the lady only stays until 9am or so- when they're gone gone, they're gone, and she's gone too. I called the number and its an older lady, so it seems she sends the tamales off with someone else to man the roadside stand. I think anyone who speaks spanish could call to make an order and pickup either there or at the lady's house.

Where is Panaderia Cornejo?

Landshark

Well Known Member
Where is Panaderia Cornejo?
From Fremont go north on Sinaloa, past Fruiteria Sinaloa, to the four way stop where the OXXO is. Go right about 6 or 7 blocks to the stop sign just past a grade school on the left. Turn left and go one block, turn right and it is about 3 blocks down on the left.

bringitbig

Well Known Member
Looks like lots of information. I'm gonna try Cornejo for sure. I usually go to Reggies for donuts, but I'm always expanding my choices.

bringitbig

Well Known Member
I found this place a few trips back while en route to Panaderia Cornejo for bread/doughnuts. You just take Calle 13 east and its right on the corner where you turn left to get to Cornejo (which is also fantastic BTW). I'm not a tamale expert but we liked both the corn and beef ones we tried (and my wife is Mexican so I guess that should count for something that she liked them jaja). Only thing is you need to get there earlish, sometimes the lady only stays until 9am or so- when they're gone gone, they're gone, and she's gone too. I called the number and its an older lady, so it seems she sends the tamales off with someone else to man the roadside stand. I think anyone who speaks spanish could call to make an order and pickup either there or at the lady's house.

Is it right where Miguel Hidalgo Y Castillo hits Francisco Javier Mina?

bringitbig

Well Known Member
Yeah, she sets up right in front of that shack. In the picture you actually see the sign folded up inside. Its right on Miguel Hidalgo, on the right hand side at that intersection.
I can't find it looking at google maps. Intersection of Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla and what?

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
Just checked on Google Maps at it should be on the corner of Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla (aka Calle 13) and Juventino Rosas.

bringitbig

Well Known Member
Found it. Thank you Marty. Heading down in a couple of days. Weather is gonna be awesome. Fun times for sure.