Teen leaves brain at the border and dies in RP from red bull overdose

Kenny

Maybe you should find the thread on this subject
16 year old AZ girl could not buy alcohol in Penasco to get wasted so she bought the next best thing, 'red bull'. Drinks lots of that and no water, goes into cardiac arrest from dehydration, dies in Penasco. And yes you guessed it, it is all mexico's fault. American exceptionalism at its best

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/peoria/2014/06/19/peoria-teen-lanna-hamann-dead-remembered-abrk/10832373/
Maybe you should find our thread on this tragedy so you can see just how ignorant your post is.

Roberto

This is very old news and has been discussed here. Word has been that the Redbull was mixed with alcohol which was provided by the adults of the family with whom she travelled to Penasco.

garyd

I just found the post, it was not properly named so I missed it. http://www.rockypointtalk.com/threads/mexico-not-blamed-this-time-for-a-change.9195/

I do disagree with Mexican authorities wanting to get monetary compensation for spending their resources to handle this avoidable tragedy. If a place is to be promoted for turism, local government needs to foot the funding for these types of tourist tragedies.
I don't mean to make this sound like a political agenda, but why does everyone else have to pay for someone else's mistakes or misfortunes. My heart goes out to the parents who lost a child, as I did myself. However why is it PP's financial responsibility?

Roberto

Would like to know 'what' the money requested pays for. Over $13,000 seems like a big number to me. Guess is for a lot of red tape, taxes, application fees, fines, mordita, etc. The family should be prepared to pay physical transport costs and perhaps some incidental expenses incurred here. The govt. should forego or not have on record at all red tape expenses. That's just MHO.

garyd

Would like to know 'what' the money requested pays for. Over $13,000 seems like a big number to me. Guess is for a lot of red tape, taxes, application fees, fines, mordita, etc. The family should be prepared to pay physical transport costs and perhaps some incidental expenses incurred here. The govt. should forego or not have on record at all red tape expenses. That's just MHO.
I agree it seems very high but why should the citizens of PP, Sonora or Mexico have to pay anything?

I could be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that the $13,000 was for not only the expenses incurred in rp but also for the funeral expenses in az.

TICO-T

I could be wrong but i thought i read somewhere that the $13,000 was for not only the expenses incurred in rp but also for the funeral expenses in az.
No way! This 16 year/old had no passport and there were some questions about her birth certificate. Foreign countries do not pay for our funerals when we die in their country. A terrible mess! A shame she did not have intelligent parents and also it seems the same for her friends parents in RP.

Landshark

Rosy said in another post the family spent $2320 to get her home. The rest was for funeral expense in AZ.

jerry

I don't mean to make this sound like a political agenda, but why does everyone else have to pay for someone else's mistakes or misfortunes. My heart goes out to the parents who lost a child, as I did myself. However why is it PP's financial responsibility?
Because we are not savages I guess.We help people that get into trouble all the time....I just helped some dipshits from Honduras that thought this was a good time of year to hike from the Mexican border 50 miles across the mountains to San Simon....don't these people own calendar ?

AZRob

I still don't know why the Mexican police did not arrest the parents that took the girl down there with them. Why were they not watching out for her safety?????? Why are they not sitting in Mexico Jail right now?????? That is at least manslaughter charges...

garyd

Because we are not savages I guess.We help people that get into trouble all the time....I just helped some dipshits from Honduras that thought this was a good time of year to hike from the Mexican border 50 miles across the mountains to San Simon....don't these people own calendar ?
I agree, you chose to help it was not not mandated. It is called Charity o Catidad.

Roberto

This smells like a big fat civil suite in the US. If it was true that the host family provided the alcohol, seems like there is real liability there. It's a tragedy made for laywers to make money off.

apricot

This smells like a big fat civil suite in the US. If it was true that the host family provided the alcohol, seems like there is real liability there. It's a tragedy made for laywers to make money off.
I know it was mentioned previously in this forum that she also drank alcohol, but there have been a lot of articles written about this girl's death and not a single one has mentioned that she drank alcohol with her energy drinks that day.

"There has been no indication that Hamann was also drinking alcohol on the day she died." http://time.com/2894272/social-media-campaign-takes-aim-at-red-bull-following-teens-death/

Landshark

I really hated to see another threat started about losing Lanna. Especially when it focused on her alleged drinking, liability of her caretakers, the overcharging & uncooperative Mexican government, etc. While it seems most of this stuff is highly exaggerated, it really doesn't matter anyway. There has been a terrible tragedy and she is gone. Why can't we just let her rest in peace? What's the point of making her look bad by saying she was drinking & "left her brain at the border." She was a hard working student athlete who was loved & respected by many people. Why can't we just leave it at that?

garyd

I really hated to see another threat started about losing Lanna. Especially when it focused on her alleged drinking, liability of her caretakers, the overcharging & uncooperative Mexican government, etc. While it seems most of this stuff is highly exaggerated, it really doesn't matter anyway. There has been a terrible tragedy and she is gone. Why can't we just let her rest in peace? What's the point of making her look bad by saying she was drinking & "left her brain at the border." She was a hard working student athlete who was loved & respected by many people. Why can't we just leave it at that?
AMEN

InkaRoads

cronopiador
The majority of the people is enamored with the sight of gore and blood in their lives and worst of they rejoice on speculation!! IMHO

I agree and for many, many trips to Mexico " there but for the grace of god, go I"