Telcel 3g wireless internet

ernesto

Does anyone have experience with the Telcel wireless network? I just ordered one . It's pretty inexpensive at $35/month with todays exchange rate.I hear the speeds are OK but not superfast. Hoping to connect it to my laptop and Magicjack for free long distance to the US. Magicjack only works well with faster connections.Will post a review when I get it running.You have to sign an 18 month contract and without a Mexican credit card they do a background check and require a deposit. This may be a viable alternative to the DSL that Telmex offers thru a conventional hard wire and modem.

Jim

I have had infinitum(?) from telmex for a long time. It is DSL and no different in speed from Qwest in the states. I also have the majicjack and just leave the computer on 24/7. I get calls from my family and friends as if I were living in the states. You choose your area code and they assign a local number for that area code. For about 100 bucks for 5 years it beats the HE** out of Vonage at $25 a month.

Jim said:
I have had infinitum(?) from telmex for a long time. It is DSL and no different in speed from Qwest in the states. I also have the majicjack and just leave the computer on 24/7. I get calls from my family and friends as if I were living in the states. You choose your area code and they assign a local number for that area code. For about 100 bucks for 5 years it beats the HE** out of Vonage at $25 a month.
Jim...what does the service cost you (infinitum)....my friend has a phone line already from Telmex...and was thinking of paying for the difference to set up DSL down there???

MagicJack works great as long as the dsl is a decent speed and is not fluctuating. I tried it with some wifi from one of the rv parks and it was no better then Skype. When I used it with a steady, high speed line, it worked great.

Jim

Sorry, I was in Tucson for a few days without a computer. I am not a computer guy but I have a home phone and internet and it is less than $50 USD per month. (my wife pays the bills). I have had no problems whatsoever with speed and the majicjack working fine. I got another one for my office in Old Port so that I could have a number in Tucson and Phoenix.

Spoke to the owner of the rv park I'm in, and she pays 384 pesos/month for a phone line and internet at her home!!!! That's less then $30 USD at the current rate of exchange........

Sounds like I'm going to have to check into that. A friend in my park already has a phone line....just may piggybak on hers to get the internet and install a wifi router in her rv.....