Terminal tackel

Hi All

I know I ask a lot of questions and may seem a little dumb. Almost all of my last many years of fishing has been in lakes and rivers. My dad used to fish Salmon commercially in Norther California so I have some of his old plastic stuff etc. The salt water is a new experience and I want to do it right.

Well the boat is getting done and it is now time to start making some tackle. I need to know what you all would recommend to have on hand when I go out. Circle hook sizes, leader size and length etc. What about wire leaders, they would seem less prone to rock abrasion. If there is a cheaper place to buy than to make that would also be nice to know. I also need to buy my anchor and rope. Rope purchase was talked about some months ago on the old site but I don't know where that person bought his. I am thinking I need 400 ft. but also do not know what type of rope to buy. Looking at anchors, I was wondering about the one with the two points on the end and with the reverse pull chain attachment on its side.

I do so appreciate all the help I get here!

Don't Worry Be Happy
Bill

dmcauley

Bill, I got a fantastic price on rope on e-bay- The most popular type of anchor is the grappling hook type which I purchased @ Bass Pros. 200-400 lb leader is recommended

:boat:

Kelney

I bought my anchor line via ebay as well. Best prices by far. The mighty mite style anchors work best because you want it to grab on rocks. They also bend some so you will not lose your anchor. The Mexican rebar version which I have is available at the marine store across from La Curva for about $25 I think. Unless your First Mate has a strong back, I would highly recommend the poor mans windlass http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_8969____SearchResults

B

bahiatrader

I also recommend the Mighty Mite or the Mexican concrete-rebar version. I had to leave a Danforth type hooked to the bottom. I also left one hung in a gill net, but that's another story. I sold my boat to the guy who was fishing with me about two hours before, so it wasn't my anchor any more. Rebar and concrete are cheap and a suitable anchor is easy to make.

RIC

http://www.captharry.com/product/Termin ... l/421.html
sizes 6/0, 7/0, 8/0, and 9/0

http://www.captharry.com/product/Termin ... l/409.html

sizes 8/0, 9/0, 10/0, and 11/0

the links above are a couple of my favorite hooks. they are not stainless but are very strong and resist corrosion very well, also, they are fairly inexpensive. i have tried the more expensive owner gorilla hooks but they seem to me to corrode faster than the duratin mustads. i would stick with heavier mono vs wire as you will get more strikes on the mono and it is easier on the live baits. jinkai leader material is my favorite in the smoke blue color. 60-300 lb test would be needed depending on what species you are targeting.

pick up an anchor at the marine store. the mighty might ones look better and do not rust all over your boat but they seem to me to bend too easily when the wind and/or current is pulling the boat hard while at anchor.

ric

http://www.RICSROCKYPOINTFISHING.COM

B

bahiatrader

That's cool Ric. I've been buying stuff from Captain Harry's for a number of years. The selection of gear is great, and prices are good. They're a bunch of good guys who are apparently fishermen also. They went out of their way to fill a rush order for me once.
The Mighty Mite anchors might not leave a bunch of rust around. A sack of ready-mix and a piece of rebar to make a couple of anchors out of is considerably cheaper than the seventy or eighty bucks you'd pay for a Mighty Mite at West Marine. A cheap can of spray paint might solve the rust problem. Poor folks have poor ways...

Sounds my way to make the anchor. As I Landscape I have lots of pieces of heavy PVC pipe for the barrel. What size on the rebar and how many tines?

Based on the way the economy is I am getting close to being poor. Like I said before it may be that Mexico here I come.

Don't Worry Be Happy
Bill

B

bahiatrader

PVC pipe would be great. Half a length of 1/2" rebar will make four good size strong but bendable tines with a solid loop for your chain at the top. You can vary your weight by length and size of the PVC. I wish I had thought of that. I was once in the landscape/nursery business myself too.

dmcauley

I agree with Ric about the rebar anchors but for myself I went with the mighty mite for aesthetics on the new boat- I know the tines bend but may be reshaped- This is one of the features- I don't always use an anchor but having a good one is a plus when the wind comes up :usa: :mexico:

:boat:

Sixty

I still need to take pics of the anchor I built.

I used 5 tines made from bent 5/8" mild steel rod & welded them to 1-1/4" sched 40 steel pipe. It looks nice (alot nicer than rebar anchors) and has worked well at lake mead. It also fit in the pulpit rollers for the windlass. I filled the pipe with sand & welded caps on the end with a small ring at the top. Took less than an hour to build, but i have alot of fab tools and steel in my garage.

My main choice for mild steel over rebar is I like the elastic properties better & it bends easier. Stainless would have been real nice, but $$$ also.

I pt 600' of 1/2" rope on my boat as well as a 25' chain rode. Even 600' is short for anything but casual anchoring on deep reefs

B

bahiatrader

By the way, Captain Harry's email is [email protected] They've always been really good about answering promptly. They might not be WalMart prices sometimes, but the quality and sevice are great.