The Buffalo Soldiers invade Mexico 1916

Roberto

Intersting stuff. Would be fun to identify and follow the trail and battlefields. Same as with the Mex. Revolution. Lots of locations in Chihuahua.

jerry

Intersting stuff. Would be fun to identify and follow the trail and battlefields. Same as with the Mex. Revolution. Lots of locations in Chihuahua.
I did that in Spain in 1977.Following George Orwells route in Homage to Catalonia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homage_to_Catalonia....then lost the photos the next year when a change of fortune had me living in a wino hotel in Reno.They threw my stuff away when I was tossed in jail for a few days..
we should map it out..road trip..then try to sell the idea for a documentary.

I live outside of Fort Huachuca which is where the Buffalo Soldiers were based out of. Fort Huachuca has a great museum in three separate buildings if anyone likes history like I do. We're also about 20 miles from Tombstone, so there are some neat things for visitors to see in this corner of Arizona. On the punitive campaigns right before the U.S. entered World War I, there is an old camp about 15 miles from where I live that housed soldiers during that campaign that still remains to this date. I remember exploring the grounds and going in different buildings before it was fenced off as there is currently an effort to preserve it. I believe I still have some photos I took from that excursion and I'll look around and see if I can't upload them here. Here is a link to the museum page: http://huachucamuseum.com/

El Gato

I live outside of Fort Huachuca which is where the Buffalo Soldiers were based out of. Fort Huachuca has a great museum in three separate buildings if anyone likes history like I do. We're also about 20 miles from Tombstone, so there are some neat things for visitors to see in this corner of Arizona. On the punitive campaigns right before the U.S. entered World War I, there is an old camp about 15 miles from where I live that housed soldiers during that campaign that still remains to this date. I remember exploring the grounds and going in different buildings before it was fenced off as there is currently an effort to preserve it. I believe I still have some photos I took from that excursion and I'll look around and see if I can't upload them here. Here is a link to the museum page: http://huachucamuseum.com/
We lived fairly close - North of Douglas by about 35 miles. Used to take the grandkids to that museum and we all loved it. When I was a kid the AZ National guard did their summer stint there (had been closed down) - we got to live in Gen. Crook's house on base. Had our Siamese cats with us and they were excellent at killing scorpions, of which there were tons, and the Commander negotiated with my Mom over that house - we could stay there for the two weeks if he could borrow the Siamese to clean out the scorpions in their place. There were also so many rattlesnakes that they used them for target practice. And an antelope was so tame that he would wander around the base - and occasional butt the guys when they were standing in line for drills.

That whole area is a wonderful place to visit (when you aren't visiting Penasco lol) - so much history.