The drive from border to RP is perilous!

P Cullom

Getting through Sonoita was a piece of cake. We have been driving down here for years but this was the first drive that was truly scary. Truck after truck and some cars going 110-120 mph pulling trailers kept passing 3 cars in a row that were going 75 mph. They were barely feet from our car!! We saw several near head on collisions. This was Friday, daytime. Years ago we were the first car to come up to a head on collision. American kids vs a truck with a Mexican family. Beer cans and bodies everywhere. Quite a few injured and we rendered aid and called for help. It was nighttime. I don't want to ever see that again. It's not worth getting to town a half hour faster. I hope the drive home is safer. What is wrong with people? The police should set up a speed trap in the middle of the two towns to save lives! They could also make a lot of money! True speeders.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Yet most of the people on these boards claim nobody ever speeds and the cops that stop them are all corrupt.......
LOL, the only one who don't speed are the delivery trucks or Mexican's driving older cars.

Once cleared of Sonoyta, most US plated cars are going north of 75mph with many doing 85-100mph.
Way too many trucks pulling toys or trailers have no business even trying to pass lines of cars, I've seen too many close calls
or the aftermath of one of them not quite making it.
You are correct many of the Sonoyta Policia tend to look at corruption and preying on visitors as an income booster.

rplarry

Well Known Member
Yet most of the people on these boards claim nobody ever speeds and the cops that stop them are all corrupt.......
No they don’t , you purposeful instigator.

99.9% of the comments on this board and thread revolve around shake downs and corrupt cops in Sonoyta pimping people who have OBEYED the law , stopped at stop signs and have driven the speed limit and still have been illegally pulled over for mordida and extortion.

And, 99.9 of those same people agree that there are assholes who drive way to fast and reckless when they get past Sonoyta.

We are talking two completely separate conversations here you instigator little guy.

Show us all 1 time whenever anybody has been ticketed within 2 miles outside of Sonoyta. It has never happened because the cops do not run speed traps outside of the 40 km crawl and stop sign trap of Sonoyta.

If they were at all interested in public safety, they would have a heyday pulling people over and taking them to jail for driving like idiots after they get out of town. That is not their interest. It’s the easy money, with their fat bellies and their slow squad cars, that have no interest in pulling over real criminal traffic violations.

And you know it, you dipshit

Last edited:

Hobie Vern

Well Known Member
Hit the border about 10:30 Sunday morning. Got the green light like everyone else. No stop at the National Guard. Eased through town didn't see one cop. Did have one A$$HOLE headed North out in the passing lane making Southbound traffic pull over to the side, otherwise there would have been a head on!!!

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
No they don’t , you purposeful instigator.

99.9% of the comments on this board and thread revolve around shake downs and corrupt cops in Sonoyta pimping people who have OBEYED the law , stopped at stop signs and have driven the speed limit and still have been illegally pulled over for mordida and extortion.

And, 99.9 of those same people agree that there are assholes who drive way to fast and reckless when they get past Sonoyta.

We are talking two completely separate conversations here you instigator little guy.

Show us all 1 time whenever anybody has been ticketed within 2 miles outside of Sonoyta. It has never happened because the cops do not run speed traps outside of the 40 km crawl and stop sign trap of Sonoyta.

If they were at all interested in public safety, they would have a heyday pulling people over and taking them to jail for driving like idiots after they get out of town. That is not their interest. It’s the easy money, with their fat bellies and their slow squad cars, that have no interest in pulling over real criminal traffic violations.

And you know it, you dipshit
You know you have lost the debate when you resort to name calling. 99.9% of people claim to be little angels on the road. When they rightfully get stopped for speeding or other unlawful activity, they proclaim their innocence. Most people hate the police until they need them. All police are not perfect, but the vast majority of them are honest humans trying to do an incredibly difficult job.
The reason they patrol the city is that is what they are paid to do. Speeding is infinitely more dangerous in the populated areas. I am surprised you don't know that. Actually, I lied, I am not surprised you don't know that.

mondone

Whitecaps
Bus collides with tractor-trailers in Sonora, killing 16

The bus collided with one truck and then was struck in turn by another

Published on Friday, September 3, 2021

A stationary tractor-trailer on a highway in Sonora appears to have triggered an accident that left 16 people dead early Thursday.
State officials said 22 people were injured in the crash involving a bus and two tractor-trailers, one of which had stopped near the side of the road. The bus struck the latter truck and was in turn hit by the other, which was approaching from the other direction.
The accident occurred at 4:30 a.m. on the Sonoyta-San Luis Río Colorado highway.

Thursday's accident scene in Sonora.
Thursday's accident scene in Sonora.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Wrong again. You got nothing but two wrong feet! I have seen NO ONE state that speeding is not a problem between the two cities. I have seen ONLY talk of the corrupt cops in Sonoita harassing non-speeders.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
Wrong again. You got nothing but two wrong feet! I have seen NO ONE state that speeding is not a problem between the two cities. I have seen ONLY talk of the corrupt cops in Sonoita harassing non-speeders.
Ahh, you woke up. The speeding you witness between the two towns OFTEN continues into Sonoyta. Slow down and you won't have problems. Oh, those non-speeders you mention, they were most likely speeding. You can go back to sleep now.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Ahh, you woke up. The speeding you witness between the two towns OFTEN continues into Sonoyta. Slow down and you won't have problems. Oh, those non-speeders you mention, they were most likely speeding. You can go back to sleep now.
Wrong again! No one can speed going north in to Sonoyta due to the always present radar cop and the red cross stop. The speeding between the two towns is very dangerous. One note: my friend was driving way too fast about half way between Sonoyta and Penasco, several years ago and we were pulled over by a Federal Highway officer, who was very nice, polite, told us he could confiscate our truck if he wanted to and then told us to be smart and slow down. So I know there are patrols out there between the towns sometimes.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
In the Yucatan, on major 50 mph highways they have installed double speed bumps- they are well marked and have good signage and these speedbumps definitely slow traffic down.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
You know you have lost the debate when you resort to name calling. 99.9% of people claim to be little angels on the road. When they rightfully get stopped for speeding or other unlawful activity, they proclaim their innocence. Most people hate the police until they need them. All police are not perfect, but the vast majority of them are honest humans trying to do an incredibly difficult job.
The reason they patrol the city is that is what they are paid to do. Speeding is infinitely more dangerous in the populated areas. I am surprised you don't know that. Actually, I lied, I am not surprised you don't know that.
One part I forgot to include in our trip report mainly because the report was for the boat, was that we were almost a victim of the Sonoyta Police Shakedown.

About 100 yards or more from the 40kph sign I started to slow from 80kph. This is well before the little "knoll" that the 40kph sign is on. At this point there is no line of sight in either direction from BUEN VIAJE sign to this position. As we came up the "knoll" still yards short of the 40kph sign I was already going 20mph. We got to the 40kph sign right at the top of the "knoll" doing 18-20mph and now in direct line of sight with BUEN VIAJE sign. I put the PUERCO PLATA in first gear to slow our pace to a mere 15mph crawl as we came down the "knoll" now noticing that there were two cops standing in the road where the normal red cross collection is under BUEN VIAJE sign.

It was 7:30pm and more than DUSK at this point as well. I proceeded with the exceedingly slow speed of 15 to 18mph. As we got within 50 feet we could see one officer had the radar gun pointed at us and the other officer was standing there holding a clipboard.

He motioned us TO STOP. Now kind of frustrated I pulled up and rolled down the window and sarcastically said, QUE ONDA? Almost like, what could you possibly need from me right now??????!!!! I clearly wasn't speeding.

The guy looked at me, then looked at Claudia and saw her pointing her phone right at him understanding that we had been recording the ENTIRE TIME from before the 40kph sign until that point exactly.

WE ALSO BOTH HAD OUR MASKS ON!!!!

So now what?! Now what COULD BE the next issue???? Nothing....

He said have a good day.

So 100% that was about to be some bullshit about some unknown law or speeding or masks or seat belt or YOU NAME IT... 100%. Plane and simple. We were about to be harassed.

We executed our plan to perfection and I believe it was the difference in this instance. This was the same advice that I gave to the NEW forum member that posted a week or two ago that I'm sure will never return to the forum again.

I actually thought this might have been the first time being PULLED OVER for GOING TOO SLOW... Still waiting for that one. I think if I was a gambling man I'd say we'll hear it eventually!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
One other note from that night that pertains to this thread.

Right before the incident posted above we almost had a similar situation as this tour bus incident. I don't know which KM post it was but it was the first long straight away south of Sonoyta so about 10 minutes south of Sonoyta heading north. It was dusk and up in the distance I could faintly see what I thought was a stationary car/truck/semi on fire. I didn't see flames but faint red light and black smoke. I was only doing about 68mph but as we got up on it, it was actually moving at about 5 to 10mph. It was not on fire but it was a big rig or tractor trailer that was barely running just dumping smoke with the most faint NON WORKING tail lights being covered in this smoke you could barely see this fucking thing.

This guy was only half way on the shoulder though... like the mexicans like to do when letting you pass... EXCEPT! Right at that moment another car was coming the other way and there was NO WAY we were all fitting. Luckily enough I have enough wherewithal to understand WTF is happening in SPLIT SECOND DECISIONS despite what Hobie Vern believes. I got on the brakes so damn hard and basically almost came to a complete stop to avoid killing anyone or myself.

DUSK and DAWN are dangerous because your headlights aren't as effective. I've come up hard on cars that were moving but only going 25 or 30 mph with no working tail lights more than one time over the years. It's by far the biggest liability in Mexico. Highway driving.

Last edited:

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Yeah, you must be right. No one can speed going north into Sonoyta....
Do you even read what you write?
Yes, and I also have comprehension. NO ONE can speed going north to Sonoyta with the ever present radar cop & Red Cross stop. Please read Mexico Joe’s post.