The Last Vaquita?

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Estero.........

We counted sixteen full sized trawlers in that area today at around two PM on our way back to Yuma. Stopped on the cliffs near Campo Las Brisas and checked them out with binoculars, all were in full bottom drag mode with outriggers out and trawls deployed lazily scrapping what might be left on the bottom out there.

So much for the "protected zone".

We did find a freshly dead adult Vaquita yesterday on the beach near the tip of Salinas Point.

More on that manana!

JJ

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Miramar..........

Yes, Salinas Point with Saint George Island out on the western horizon.

We saw Vaquitas lazily hunting within a stones throw just offshore along that beach twice last spring.

JJ

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Hey Estero.....................

That link has a full on ATTACK VIRUS embedded in it! I would advise no one to open it. Took me two hours to scour it from my my PC.

JJ

Estero

Well Known Member
Hey Estero.....................

That link has a full on ATTACK VIRUS embedded in it! I would advise no one to open it. Took me two hours to scour it from my my PC.

JJ
No it doesn't, it is simply a generic Yahoo news link. You must have something else going on with your puter. Probably some malware you already have on your pc that hijacks yahoo links and issues a redirect. Download and run malwarebytes. In any case, below is the text for those afraid to click the link.

Fishermen in Mexico shoot down environmental group's drone

Associated Press
December 27, 2017
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The environmental group Sea Shepherd said fishermen fired 25 shots at one of its night-vision drones in Mexico's Gulf of California, bringing it down.

Various drones have been employed to patrol the Gulf, also known as the Sea of Cortez, to combat illegal fishing and save the critically endangered vaquita marina, the world's smallest porpoise.

Poachers often set out at night to set nets for totoaba, a fish whose swim bladder is prized in China. But vaquitas often get caught in totoaba nets, causing the population to plunge to less than 30.

Sea Shepherd has been the target of demonstrations by fishermen in the past, but said the Christmas Eve shooting represented "a new level of violence."

The group said Tuesday that its drone had located four small boats illegally fishing for totoaba.

Men on three of the boats were observed firing at the device until its camera shut off.

The drone was then listed as "disconnected," indicating it went down.

In the past, fishermen have thrown rocks and bricks at drones, staged demonstrations demanding that Sea Shepherd boats be expelled, burned vehicles and patrol boats, and beat inspectors from the office of environmental protection, but this is the first time they fired guns.

In other parts of the world, Sea Shepherd vessels have rammed into whaling ships to deter illegal activities.

But in the Gulf, the group has peacefully patrolled the waters, looking for vaquitas dead or alive and gill nets, which it removes.

The patrol effort has been welcomed by the Mexican government, which has had a difficult time enforcing a ban on gill net fishing because fishermen use fast boats and lead vessels on hours-long chases.

Sometimes, pickup trucks drop boat trailers onto beaches and haul off small fishing crafts before authorities arrive.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Ya know..........

You sound like someone dealing out Jamaican justice.

Rasta Man murders tourist. Rasta Man not guilty because if tourist not there Rasta Man wouldn't been able to kill him. Tourist guilty of his own murder.

JJ

jerry

Well Known Member
Well Jim's reply is unusual....still this drone shooting is pretty crazy...guns being illegal and all...they better have worn masks...

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Now that WAS COOL! Jerry. Especially sans the stinking virus..............

That panguero was using a full auto military rifle. Maybe now the Wanna Be Sea Shepard kids might think about the possibility of a military grade RPG to the hull just at the water line for screwing with a business that is none of their business.

It'll be pretty cool to see that tub full of fagola foreigners jumpin into that fifty degree water as it goes down in an air polluting blaze tomorrow afternoon as we head down for the PP Feliz Anyo Nueveo festivities.

Maybe you aren't aware of the fact that every commercial fishing boat in the world has a handy rifle of some sort at close hand for a testy Sea Lion, Mako Shark, Great White, three hundred pound Halibut or pesky Piratas. Very acceptable Law of the Sea everywhere. I have always carried twelve gauge double 00 buckshot on my boats to put through my flare gun for just such an occasion.

I'll never forget back when I was five or six and my grand pappy Amos and my dad would cruise up to Las Ilas Coronados and pick off a bunch of Chivos off the cliffs with surplus M1 Garrand rifles. We would come back close to shore and gaff one or two and bring em back home to San Diego for a neighborhood goat grab barbie along with a six hundred pound Black Sea Bass divvied up amongst the hood.

JJ

jerry

Well Known Member
Now that WAS COOL! Jerry. Especially sans the stinking virus..............

That panguero was using a full auto military rifle. Maybe now the Wanna Be Sea Shepard kids might think about the possibility of a military grade RPG to the hull just at the water line for screwing with a business that is none of their business.

It'll be pretty cool to see that tub full of fagola foreigners jumpin into that fifty degree water as it goes down in an air polluting blaze tomorrow afternoon as we head down for the PP Feliz Anyo Nueveo festivities.

Maybe you aren't aware of the fact that every commercial fishing boat in the world has a handy rifle of some sort at close hand for a testy Sea Lion, Mako Shark, Great White, three hundred pound Halibut or pesky Piratas. Very acceptable Law of the Sea everywhere. I have always carried twelve gauge double 00 buckshot on my boats to put through my flare gun for just such an occasion.

I'll never forget back when I was five or six and my grand pappy Amos and my dad would cruise up to Las Ilas Coronados and pick off a bunch of Chivos off the cliffs with surplus M1 Garrand rifles. We would come back close to shore and gaff one or two and bring em back home to San Diego for a neighborhood goat grab barbie along with a six hundred pound Black Sea Bass divvied up amongst the hood.

JJ
jim, you have the soul of a bloody poet.... still that boat full of frenchies,aussies and american hipsters is winning....they got Leonardo on board ..he got the mini president and his men with guns........they have put a big dent in the illegal fishing up there....