The Market Season is On Us !

JWT

User is currently banned
PPRES

Veggie and fruit alert ! To all locals who can spend an afternoon browsing produce stands for the latest endemic produce, trucks are arriving daily with specialties we have missed for a few months. Quantity is up and prices are down for the shiniest peppers ; Brussel sprouts are back; yellow corn is out there and Caborcan asparagus is on the way. So far all the asparagus has been the earlier Sinaloa variety which seems a bit travel weary when it gets here. Affordable mangos are on the next truck !

Is there a central area where the produce stands are located or are they spread all over? I don't recall seeing any when we drove around last winter. Thanks.

JWT

User is currently banned
The produce stands are actually indoor shops scattered throughout the city, including Ley's, Sante Fe, Walmart and Sam's Club, although the small independents are much more fun. I'd guess there are 50 small ones. All I can suggest is you ask a local person donde es fruiteria, and check them out until you find one that feels right. Prices differences from one small one to another are immeasurable....it's the shine on the peppers that matters most !

Landshark

Thanks. We'd been to all three of the larger grocery stores, but hadn't noticed the smaller markets. We feel much more "experienced" heading into our secod trip down!
We are not PPRES, just tourists, but we like the Fruiteria Sinaloa on Sinaloa north of Freemont about a 1/4 mile on the right. Works for us because we are on that end of town. Russ says he likes the California market on the corner of Constitucion and Samuel Ocaña. He is PPRES! I think either would be a good experience for you guys because they do make you feel "right at home."

Roberto

I vote for the Sinaloa Fruiteria. Despite what you resident expert says, the veggies at Walmart absoutely are the worst in town. YUK. Sams Clubs stuff looks good but in in larger packages, hard to inspect. The Santa Fe is a good choice and Ley is generaly ok too. But when you see the big trucks parked in front of the Sianloa Fruiteria unloading almost daily that's my choice. I think the family that owns and runs it is from Sinaloa. But yes there are lots of small shops throughout town, many of which I have never visited.

You know I have wondered for years and years what immeasurable means !! Thanks a lot.:):):) Obvioulley pays to know a PPRES who knows words too !!

MIRAMAR

We love Sinaloa Market- I say when I'm there I feel like I'm in Mexico (oh yeah, I am!). But the produce looks good, and the prices are great.

joanC

anyone if interested in finding a gem in your hometown, CS is open across the big street, Kino Blvd, from Numeros. It's like an expanded deli from heaven, offering many many things you may miss. Fresh frozen blueberries...no problem,,,rack of.spare ribs....beef ribs..... A great selection of foreign cheeses...mascarpone..blue cheese...got them all. Frozen specialty meat cuts...take your pick. A best seller is Cornish game hens. All seem to be at reasonable prices.

MIRAMAR

Wow Lagrima, it sounds nutricious, interesting,delicious and slimy at the same time, but thanks for sharing that with us. Makes me want to try it!

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Wow Lagrima, it sounds nutricious, interesting,delicious and slimy at the same time, but thanks for sharing that with us. Makes me want to try it!
You would probably enjoy it, it looks a little wierd when it is cooking...P.S. Miramar just east of Poblanos, toward Ace and on the same side of the street is a family from Oaxaca, that opened a restaurant named La Cocina Oxacana, its a little hole in the wall, but the food is probably the best Mexican food in RP.. all fresh...the corn tortillas are something else..the tamales wrapped in banana leaves, are the best....

Last edited:
You would probably enjoy it, it looks a little wierd when it is cooking...P.S. Miramar just east of Poblanos, toward Ace and on the same side of the street is a family from Oaxaca, that opened a restaurant named La Cocina Oxacana, its a little hole in the wall, but the food is probably the best Mexican food in RP.. all fresh...the corn tortillas are something else..the tamales wrapped in banana leaves, are the best....
Lagrimas, you got my attention with the tamales wrapped in banana leaves, what is in tamales?