The New Airport Opens

jerry

Boy it would seem they have to fix up the road before they open it. Plus it still was dirt as you enter it as of last friday. Still good news!

Arizona's Beach" will now be only a short flight away.
A new international airport in Puerto Peñasco — also known as Rocky Point — is to open next week. Initially, there will be service for private and executive flights, and the hope is to have commercial flights to and from Tucson, Phoenix and Hermosillo beginning in January.
The Mar de Cortes International Airport was built by Operadora Aeroportuaria Golfo de Cortes. S.E. de C.V. with an initial investment of $45 million, said Fernando Antillón, airport director.
"This is a terminal that is going to keep growing … according to the demand," said Antillón.
The airport is 20 miles south of Puerto Peñasco and about 60 miles from the U.S. border. Puerto Peñasco is 35 minutes by air from Phoenix and one hour from Los Angeles.
The terminal will be inaugurated next Thursday by Mexico's president, Felipe Calderón, as well as representatives from the tourism industry.
It will be fully operational by 2012, but currently its 1.55-mile concrete runway is capable of handling all types of service and aircraft up to Boeing 757s and similar aircraft, according to airport officials.
Antillón said the next phase of the construction will bring the total investment in the project to nearly $80 million.
The airport is operated by a subsidiary of conglomerate Grupo Vidanta, which is currently building several resort and residential developments in the region. Grupo Vidanta built and operates the Mayan Palace in Rocky Point.
Airport construction started in 2007. At that time, Grupo Vidanta built in six months a provisional airport to accommodate a Mexico-U.S. border governors conference in Puerto Peñasco.
Contact reporter Mariana Alvarado at 573-4597 or [email protected]

has any one physicaly gone out to the new airport? wonder if it is open to the public or not? we were not allowed entrance last time we were down.

jerry

And there not even friends.
Debi had one interesting fact...the cost of a speeding ticket if you don't pay the bribe.Of course you don't have to worry about that Kenny being invisible to the police and all that!

"They put the airport way out to keep the planes out of the city, they have "Planners" unlike the US who keeps cutting the education programs. I have been going down for about 20 years as well so finally bought at Mayan Place and totally love it. I've even driven down alone and not had any problem. I've seen things happen and they have been handled very well, you get a ticket for speeding and go back to the police station and pay $16.00 and your on your way again. No court date, no $100.00 traffic school no $100.00 tickets it's simple, I was speeding, paid the ticket now go on with life. I'm glad all you folks afraid of darker skinned people don't want to go, more room for those of us who know how to have fun and enjoy others having fun. I have found the people of Mexico just want you to have a good time, just be respectful. There is no reason you should believe your better than anyone we all have our good and bad. Mexico is beautiful if you get a chance to travel."

InkaRoads

cronopiador
has any one physicaly gone out to the new airport? wonder if it is open to the public or not? we were not allowed entrance last time we were down.
I drove down there about a week ago and the person I talked to told me that the control tower is under construction and that it should be completed by January, kind of calls my attention that now they say it is ready to be open, at the time I could not even see a tower at all, so might be an underground control tower :eek3:

Roberto

I drove down there about a week ago and the person I talked to told me that the control tower is under construction and that it should be completed by January, kind of calls my attention that now they say it is ready to be open, at the time I could not even see a tower at all, so might be an underground control tower :eek3:
Since there are NO airplanes you don't really need a control tower, right. Huge savings in money.

just got an email that the old airporrt is closed and x ed off there will be no direct flights to penasco until they get imigration and customs in place according to the Baja Bush Pilots

Kenny

Kenny being invisible to the police and all that!
What about the cop who waved at me Jerry?:cool: You know, the one you thought was going to give me a ticket.

I like that way of thinking about saving money Roberto. Lets see, hey I've got it! If we tear down some of the pigeon coups...never mind.:???:

Kenny...that would sure help the occupancy rate on the existing ones....and help the cash flow for those who bought as an "investement"....:eek:;):evil:

C

Clichfuh

I have a question about...

Where on Earth would you like to go for a one month long vacation?