The whales of Guerrero Negro Baja South

ben21

We went whale watching again - this time on the Eco fun. Went about 10 miles out and there were dozens of Fin whales. For our spring breakers (University of Pittsburgh and ASU) $35 and all you could drink was a bargain!
That's awesome. I've got a question for anyone that's been whale watching. If I were to go during the right season and book a charter, what are the odds that we would see whales like those pictured above? Sometimes it's a struggle to get people to go to Penasco, but I don't think many people realize there are whales of that size in the Sea of Cortez. Whale watching could be a great selling point. Thanks in advance...

YumaJames

In the couple years I've been boating in RP, from my experiences its always been very unpredictable. We usually fish about 50 miles out, and when we were heading out there about 3 weeks ago we only seen three whales, and a week later when we went out to the same spot we seen 30-40 whales, at one point we had about 7 whales right around the boat, and one whale put on an incredible show leaping out of the water. Sometimes the whales are 10 miles out, sometimes they're 30-50 miles out. I'd guesstimate that if you went out anytime in February or March you'll see at least one whale, but overall it's anyone's guess. I know, pretty vague answer. And as a side note, last year we seen a lot of dolphins every time we went out, this year we've seen hardly any.

Last edited:
We went whale watching again - this time on the Eco fun. Went about 10 miles out and there were dozens of Fin whales. For our spring breakers (University of Pittsburgh and ASU) $35 and all you could drink was a bargain!
WOW... University of Pittsburgh? That's a damn long trip. I'll bet they are loving the warm weather and the experience of seeing a whale... how cool for them