Things I learned this trip

Landshark

Every time we come to RP we learn more stuff and this time was no different. We stopped at Sea Products as usual for shrimp and fish. Usually we buy the shrink-wrapped shelled and deveined pre-packaged 1/2 kg shrimp instead of the 2kg box. This time we bought both because a friend wanted me to bring him some back. The 2kg box of U15 cost $45 and had 53 shrimp. The 1/2kg pre-packaged of U15 cost $14 and had 18 shrimp. When I did the math I was surprised to find the final price was almost the same, $.85 per for the 2kg box, and $.88 per for the ready to cook 1/2kg package. No more boxes for me, the time, mess, and smell in the trash from shelling and deveining is not the fun part, and the shrimp are identical.

The next thing we learned is the VERY yellow chicken we've always been afraid of turned out to be the best chicken we've ever had...ever! We always thought is looked like a good case of salmonella poisoning about to happen. How wrong we were. Got 2 whole chickens at Super Ley and split them in half. Cooked them on a charcoal grill as usual and they were delicious. The flavor of the meat was so much better, and the white meat wasn't even close to being dry. No more chicken from home ever again. Can't wait until the next time down, always an adventure!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Great report. Yes the yellow chicken is superior. The chickens are fed marigolds which enhances the flavor of the meat naturally. I have heard that Super Let is starting to also sell the bleached white chickes so common north of the border....I would never buy that.

gup

Every time we come to RP we learn more stuff and this time was no different. We stopped at Sea Products as usual for shrimp and fish. Usually we buy the shrink-wrapped shelled and deveined pre-packaged 1/2 kg shrimp instead of the 2kg box. This time we bought both because a friend wanted me to bring him some back. The 2kg box of U15 cost $45 and had 53 shrimp. The 1/2kg pre-packaged of U15 cost $14 and had 18 shrimp. When I did the math I was surprised to find the final price was almost the same, $.85 per for the 2kg box, and $.88 per for the ready to cook 1/2kg package. No more boxes for me, the time, mess, and smell in the trash from shelling and deveining is not the fun part, and the shrimp are identical.

The next thing we learned is the VERY yellow chicken we've always been afraid of turned out to be the best chicken we've ever had...ever! We always thought is looked like a good case of salmonella poisoning about to happen. How wrong we were. Got 2 whole chickens at Super Ley and split them in half. Cooked them on a charcoal grill as usual and they were delicious. The flavor of the meat was so much better, and the white meat wasn't even close to being dry. No more chicken from home ever again. Can't wait until the next time down, always an adventure!
same here on that "yellow chicken", more fat than U.S. ones.

mis2810

That's what a chicken is supposed to look like. We've forgotten how they used to look when we were kids before they started injecting all kinds of cr*p into our food and GMO'ing the hell out of everything.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
It's kind of the same with the eggs......we don't refrigerate eggs in Mexico, no need. That is true until you wash the protective coating off the shells in the "purification" process for the USA markets. Once you wash them they must be in the fridge.

garyd

It's kind of the same with the eggs......we don't refrigerate eggs in Mexico, no need. That is true until you wash the protective coating off the shells in the "purification" process for the USA markets. Once you wash them they must be in the fridge.
And as long as they don't float when you put them in a bowl of water they are still good. No matter what the "use by" date says