Too many trucks and busses on hwy 8

cmuchm

Does anyone know why the trucks and busses been routed via RP? The road seems to take a beatting for just two lanes.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
If you are talking about the coastal highway. Any trucks or buses that do not need to stop in Sonoyta would naturally use the coastal highway. Highway 2 from Sonoyta to San Luis is just the worst possible road probably in the world.....It is not safe at all - its always under construction - the shoulders drop off like crazy. I drove it twice in my life, I will go out of my way to avoid it at all cost! I think the trucks and buses feel the same way!

cmuchm

Yes the road between Sonoyta and RP. It seems after the Sonoyta Bridge feasco word is out to take the coastal hwy. Are there any plans to make it a 4 lanes since it is a major hwy route now? It going to be a mess when spring break start up.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I took a bus from Sonoyta to Mexicali once in the late 70's. It was scary until we got to La Rumerosa. Then it was positively terrifying....I was so terrified that I was crying.....The driver was going so fast that when he went around a curve, I could see sparks from the outside wheel being on the pavement....Even today I will never go on that road again!

I have been shocked at the increase in truck traffic on the highway between RP and Sonoita. I know the area has grown but the truck traffic seems to have grown by a much larger degree.
My Mexican highway story: after pre-running the Baja 1000 course we loaded the trailer and headed back to Phoenix from La Paz (had excellent street food in La Paz by the way) the highway is terrible all the way with crashed busses and smashed up semi-trucks littering the landscape. The bus and truck drivers give absolutely no courtesy and throw caution to the wind by hugging or continually riding the middle line of the highway, effectively playing "chicken" with oncoming traffic. Driving at night was terrifying and truly a death sentence. We passed through 24 Federale checkpoints from La Paz to the border but never once saw a highway patrol or the green angels. I would recommend limiting highway driving in Mexico at all costs.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I have been shocked at the increase in truck traffic on the highway between RP and Sonoita. I know the area has grown but the truck traffic seems to have grown by a much larger degree.
My Mexican highway story: after pre-running the Baja 1000 course we loaded the trailer and headed back to Phoenix from La Paz (had excellent street food in La Paz by the way) the highway is terrible all the way with crashed busses and smashed up semi-trucks littering the landscape. The bus and truck drivers give absolutely no courtesy and throw caution to the wind by hugging or continually riding the middle line of the highway, effectively playing "chicken" with oncoming traffic. Driving at night was terrifying and truly a death sentence. We passed through 24 Federale checkpoints from La Paz to the border but never once saw a highway patrol or the green angels. I would recommend limiting highway driving in Mexico at all costs.
Although I agree with you regarding this on select roads one thing I will point out is that the highway system is vastly improved and will continue to be a point of pride in Mexico. I drive to Tijuana and Ensenada more than a few times a year and the road system is top notch. From Nogales to Hermosillo and all points south is 4 lane divided highway and very good road. I have driven to Mexico several times in the last couple of years and I believe you would be amazed at the quality of the roads in general. More on this to follow must check facebook! lol

jerry

Ahh Senor "Glass is Half Full"......check out some of the stories in this paper and you will never drive at night again. One thing that is happening to increase the truck traffic is some of them are dodging the toll gate/customs check at Caborca-to-Santa Ana by taking the Coastal Highway to the outskirts of Kino then heading to Hermosilo.

Although I agree with you regarding this on select roads one thing I will point out is that the highway system is vastly improved and will continue to be a point of pride in Mexico. I drive to Tijuana and Ensenada more than a few times a year and the road system is top notch. From Nogales to Hermosillo and all points south is 4 lane divided highway and very good road. I have driven to Mexico several times in the last couple of years and I believe you would be amazed at the quality of the roads in general. More on this to follow must check facebook! lol

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Ahh Senor "Glass is Half Full"......check out some of the stories in this paper and you will never drive at night again. One thing that is happening to increase the truck traffic is some of them are dodging the toll gate/customs check at Caborca-to-Santa Ana by taking the Coastal Highway to the outskirts of Kino then heading to Hermosilo.

Personal experiences brutha nothing more than personal experiences. Glass all the way full btw I said I dont like 2 between Sonoyta and San Luis, I said I like the others just fine.....seems to be a balanced first hand view of things! If I seem dis ingenuousness I apologize - just calling it the way I see it!

Heading back to Mexico City soon....by car who da thunk it if it was soooo bad?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Apart from, the time Jerry one trucker from Penasco mentioned, saving about 2,000 peso's in fuel for the run betwwen Santa Ana and San Luis. Once they are out of Caborca, there are only a couple stops via the penasco route to San Luis. There might also be a savings on Kilometers traveled.