Traveling to Rocky Point for the first time. Plan to do it this winter

Landshark

Well Known Member
Power is no different than here in the US, roads are good other than an occasional pothole, no different than rural US. What have you heard specifically?

Bayman

I heard that the power maybe turned off from time to time and the roads have been washed out due to heavy rains. We may end up in Playa Encanto. Does that make a difference regarding power/roads?

gup

Playa Encanto is ok; interior roads a little ruddy; Power, never was turned OFF, during flooding.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Pretty much what Gup said. The roads were washed out by the 2 hurricanes in October but have been repaired and are in good shape. A little rough in places like dirt roads can be but not a problem for cars. Electricity is very dependable and rarely ever goes down. You won’t find a nicer beach anywhere around RP. Hope you have a great time!

Bayman

Thanks for the update. We are looking forward to scouting out the area. If we bring down our camping trailer, any suggestions which RV park/s to stay in?

gup

Playa Benito; Just north of the highrise condos..(12-15 stories high) or new one, just a little N. of playa Benito.

Bayman

Thank you gup and Hobie Vern for the info. I did contact the Reef RV Park but I'll check out the others as well.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Depends a lot on what you like. the Reef is a bit of a drive to town, beautiful beach,quiet and isolated. Play de Oro is close to most everything in town, you can walk to a few restaurants, including Capones. Playa Bonita is on a beautiful but busy beach but closer than the Reef but they do have a restaurant there. . I would go to Play de Oro then scout around. Do not know about other amenities. there are a couple of pace back from the beach.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
The thing I dislike about the reef RV park is you have to look at the unfinished cluster called the cruise port jetty.
Used to love going over there just to day camp and use the beach for ($20). After they closed access to Sandy Beach.