Triggerfish

B

bahiatrader

Although I rarely see anything about trigerfish on this website, It's one of the predominant fish caught in the Rocky Point area. I particularloy like it's sweet, almost lobster like taste. Whether baked, broiled or fried it is always good when garnished with lobster sauce. Following is a lobster sauce recipe that's quick, easy and tasty.
LOBSTER SAUCE
Ingredients:
2 or 3 large garlic cloves
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup sweet white wine (or 1 tbs of sugar with dry dry white wine)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. fresh or ground ginger*
2 egg whites
2 tbs corn starch
1/4 cup water
*(prefferably fresh ground which is cheaper than the commercially ground kind. You'll probably need to bring ginger from the US. I don't think I've ever found any in a Mexican market.

Directions:
Combine all sauce ingredients except egg whites, water for corn starch and corn starch in a sauce pan and heat to almost boiling.

Mix corn starch with 1/4 cup of water and add to the sauce ingredients.

Heat quickly to integrate thickener. Briefly wisk egg whites and pour over top while on med/high heat. Allow eggs whites to cook without stirring until whites appear mostly cooked. Stir with a spoon 2 or 3 times so as not to destroy integrity of egg whites (keeping large pieces of egg).

I hope you enjoy it. There's another type of lobster sauce made with black beans, but this one is qiuck easy and delicious.
Trigger fish makes pretty good ceviche also.

B

bahiatrader

My wife usually makes the lobster sauce even though I originally taught her how to make it with chicken broth. She told me that instead of using chicken broth, she'll make a stock out of trigger fish heads and bones if she has time. I like it both ways. Sometimes she'll chop up some jalapeños and throw them in. Incidentally, don't let one bite you. They've got powerful jaws. I had one take a big hunk out of my finger when I first started catching them. Once bitten...

Some friends of mine used to spend months in their rv at Playa Bonita....he was from Barbados and his wife was German and an excellent cook.....he'd spend a couple of hours fishing every day off the beach in his inflatable dink and always caught triggerfish. His wife cooked them up....sauteed with a lot of onion.....fantastic......didn't smell or taste like fish...almost a pork chop texture

My wife usually makes the lobster sauce even though I originally taught her how to make it with chicken broth. She told me that instead of using chicken broth, she'll make a stock out of trigger fish heads and bones if she has time. I like it both ways. Sometimes she'll chop up some jalapeños and throw them in. Incidentally, don't let one bite you. They've got powerful jaws. I had one take a big hunk out of my finger when I first started catching them. Once bitten...
They are the ugliest fish I've seen.....used to dry out the heads, then pull out the teeth/jaw when my daughter was young....nasty looking....maybe like a piranha????

Kenny

I've always called them the Bluegill of the Sea of Cortez, and like Bluegill, pound for pound, one of the fighting-est fish around; and they taste good too!

Last edited:

AZ ROB

I had them cut into strips and thrown on the grill mmmmm tasted similar to lobster. make a really good mac and cheese with small pcs of trigger fish...

B

bahiatrader

If any fish has a "fishy" smell it has bugun to decay. It should be cooked immediately after catching or vacuum packed and frozen. I always buy a bag of ice to put in my fish cooler when I'm fishing. A buck for a bag of ice is well worth the investment. If a fish market has a "fishy" smell, I walk out and look elsewhere. I even smell fish before I buy it in the US. I was once served fishy smelling mahi mahi at Hooter's in 'Vegas. They did serve me a big sea bass steak which was delicious. The chef came out and apologized to us. I don't like rotten fish.

B

bahiatrader

I had them cut into strips and thrown on the grill mmmmm tasted similar to lobster. make a really good mac and cheese with small pcs of trigger fish...
I think that's why trigger fish is good with lobster sauce. The smell and taste are very similar. Good eating. I almost always stop and catch a few triggers for on-board fish tacos.fish tacos 2.jpg I now have a flat propane stove that's safer to use. I once had a Coleman gasoline stove that caught on fire. It burned some of the upholstery on my engine cover before the frire extinguisher came out and the stove went over the side. A working fire extinguisher is a must on a boat.

Last edited by a moderator: