Trip Report 4/24-26 w/Obligatory Pics

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
La Puerca Plata's passport book is starting to fill up! We decided to tow the jet ski down this trip to try and get some fishing in. Saturday was looking the best with Sunday and Monday on the fence. Saturday morning's drive down was uneventful. We hadn't towed with the PIG yet so we were curious to see how she would do. Naturally a one ski trailer with 3 seater isn't really a true test of this vehicles towing capacity but I wanted to see how the trans temp does on the highway. Well, the towing was uneventful as well. You can barely feel anything back there. The trans temp never got above 120 on the gauge for the inline sending unit. My Torque Pro app that runs through the OBD never showed above 150 and I think there is about a 30 degree difference between the two normally so that was congruent. We got 14.4mpg on the way down. I've seen 14.8-15.5 as the low for the Tacoma towing the jet ski so the difference in mpg is negligible.

We had zero issues at the border. We got the green light but the EXOFICIAL stop with a hand gesture from the Aduana agent. He asked for the jet ski registration and said nothing of the dog in the back seat which was a first in a while. He walked back to the jet ski as I watched in the mirror I could tell he, like others, had absolutely no idea where to look on the jet ski for the VIN. He gave us a "show me something" job, acted like he was doing something and walked back over 30 seconds later with a "have a good day". No stop by the GUARDIA NACIONAL 30 ft later so we were on our way with the Sonoyta Crawl. We stopped at the big VIP Market (formerly Circle K) to get some CHELITAS BIEN FRIAS and while Claudia was in the store I got mean mugged like a MOFO while standing outside the vehicle with the dog by the Sonoyta Cops. I observed their behavior for about 10 minutes while we stopped. I saw that they sit back between the VIP and the paint store next door and watch that stop sign area where MEX 2 crosses the N/S bound traffic. They were darting out from there with lights on speeding after whoever... No idea. I just wanted to get the F out of there. Somehow, I hate Sonoyta but we always stop there. LOL We departed and continued with our crawl past the Buen Viaje, past the hill and past the first speed jump to 80KPH. Once we're around that first bend to the left we feel like we're out of Sonoyta and relax a little. It sucks that Sonoyta has to be the first and last thing you see on a GREAT weekend in Mexico. I would put $5/trip through Sonoyta in a collection bin for SONOYTA to never have to deal with feeling like I'm being preyed on again. That shit is intense for a worry wort like me. I'm a detail oriented person. I stress on every little detail about our trip and Sonoyta is a major heart ache. Once we get through there it's like YEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW we made it!!!!!!!! Donde estan las chellas bien frias?!

We arrived in Cholla Bay around 11am if I remember correctly. We ended up getting a late start in Phx and that killed our only real chance at getting good water for fishing. After eating and getting settled in we didn't get on the water until about 330pm. The water had actually started to calm considerably by then and the conditions were pretty damn good. We have a pretty good set up now, I motor the boat and pay attention to the sounder and Claudia sits in the back by the rods and handles that end of the business. We hadn't trolled more than 10 minutes when we hooked up with a small Halibut inside Pelican Point in those rocks going back in towards Tucson Beach. Claudia got that in and we got it into the boat. You can PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDD! (who can tell me what that's from? Any baseball guys/girls out there?) After that we decided to try and get a Corvina or Cabrilla so we motored around Pelican Point and started our troll with the bigger trolling lures going from West to East. We ended up getting a few really really big Triggers. One of them I swore was a really good sized Corvina. I would have put $100 initially that it was a Orange Mouth or Totoaba because it was pulling so hard that Trigger Fish never even came to mind. This thing got near the boat and went straight down under the boat and was like pulling line. I was really disappointed when we saw it was a Trigger! If I had to guess, 3.25-4 lbs. It was a big boy. After getting a few big triggers that we tossed back we realized that I hadn't looked at the tide report before we went out like I always do. I knew the tide was receding and I knew that it was a full moon/big tide weekend so I opted to tell Claudia that we should pry head back in to the bay to see what the situation is like. It's now 530pm and the situation was out of control. Apparently CB is now the COMMERCIAL PORT of Rocky Point. It reminds me of 2012 ish when the Mexican government came in with ConaPesca and Marines to remove the conch huka divers from Cholla Bay. Does anyone remember that??? Russ???? I was trying to remember exactly when that was but it reminds me exactly of that time.

So we get to the bay and there are 40 pangas staged waiting for their compas to go get the truck and trailer... The tide is now NEGATIVE and we're motoring the jet ski in 2 feet of water about half a mile from JJ's/boat ramp area. I knew we were FUCKED. There was absolutely zero chance we'd be able to get the ski onto the trailer. We would have had to get the Sequoia almost around the corner to the west going towards Tucson Beach. You just can't comprehend this situation unless you've been in and around Cholla Bay for years and years.... We would have been under 17 feet of water if it was high tide. When the tide gets this low you can't get the trailer in deep enough water to get the boat to float onto the trailer. This is why Villa and the boat launchers exist. So I got Claudia as close as I could and told her that if she sees Villa to tell him we need out. I could see from a very far distance that Villa was switching the trailer from the PIG to his launcher. At that moment I stopped stressing. Villa to the rescue!! ED B got some good photos of the mayhem from his patio. That's how far around the corner from JJ's we were putting on at. All in all, Villa got us out and we enjoyed a good dinner at Mr Fish Taco.

The next two days the wind came down off of the fence and the ocean was angry. The port was closed both Sunday and Monday so we decided to go out and romp the Sequoia around a little. After the PIGS inability to get up Competition Hill on it's first trip we were determined to check that off of the list. We bought this truck to tow and do things like sand and 4x4 well. After we realized this bullshit VSC traction control kills power in 4HI and there's no way to turn it off I started thinking we're stuck with a 4x4 soccer mom truck. VSC might be great for some inexperienced person taking their kids up a ski resort icey road or something but when you're in the sand you need/have to give it the beans and break traction on purpose. No more donuts??? No fish tails???? No CHANCE?>?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So we turned the center diff lock on and low and behold that is what turns the VSC off. After that it's a raped ape. We got up Competition multiple times without much effort after that. We never even aired the tires down so that was with 32 psi +-2... I have since learned that if you go under the hood and unplug the sensor from the master cylinder it turns the VSC off as well but who's got time for that?! What a ghetto solution. I might wire in a switch to disrupt the circuit when we just want 4Hi without the diff lock. Overall the Sequoia is a beast without the traction control so we're really happy about that. After Comp Hill we went over to our secret little beach spot by Wrecked RV park and almost got stuck below tide line in extremely deep sand and 30 degree embankment. Somehow I was able to keep going back and forward back and forward enough to get over to a small volcanic rock outcrop and got enough traction to get some steam initially to get up this 30 degree deep sand embankment. My heart was fucking pounding but the Sequoia center diff lock beasted that and we got out. The only real motivation I had to get out of that situation was hearing HOBIEVERN call me an idiot again. I didn't want to upset HOBIE VERN any further than I already have. I'm an idiot what can I say?

The only other thing to report on and it saddens me to have to say this but El Tapeo sucks. We tried 3 things and they were absolute let downs. We had two draft beers, couldn't even tell you which one because the waiter told us about them verbally as we never had a beer menu. I think they were IPA's but not certain. They were ok. I wasn't letting go in my pants or anything... Overall it was deeply disappointing. The worst part is that I ruined my ass sitting on hard wood for an hour and am still dealing with that 2 weeks later so El Tapeo keeps giving back over 2 weeks later.... SMH and because of that we were over it and ready for bed. So we went to bed hungry LOL the absolute worst. That's when you want to punch yourself in the face and ask why you didn't go with a guarantee like POLLO LUCAS OR LA VACA CHENTA for dinner. It would have been half the price, half the headache but nope, I'm a difficult son of a bitch. Damn, maybe Vern is right?????????????????

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
In continuation....

Other Take Aways:
  1. Does anyone know if/where they sell the EL JIMADOR NEW MIX canned drinks besides OXXO????? I used to drink them back 2007 or so and they are so good. It's decent alternative when I've had too much beer or out of the beer mood. The PALOMA is Squirt and Tequilla and absolutely BOMB. The other one I like is the VAMPIRO which they say is like a red Sangria with Tequilla but it's got a chemoy kind of bloody taste... BOOOOOOOOOMB!!!
  2. ED B's house. MASSIVE. It's all garage though LOL
  3. HIPPIE in Cholla Bay is trying to sell us our DREAM BOAT. 20ft center console with Evinrude 150. Boat looks pretty decent. With elbow grease could be amazing. It has shitter/shower inside the center console. He wants 8k.... We want this boat so bad!!! LOL I need to offload this YET SKY first... damn. Life is tough.

CHOLLA BAY 4 LIFE

GringoZona

Well Known Member
Great report, as always.

Thanks for the heads-up about the Policia trap at the VIP Market/ former Circle K at the intersection before Sonoyta proper, never had an issue there before.

I usually take the shortcut on the right after that intersection and go to the OXXO just before the main road to get a couple of six packs to throw on ice so it is ready when we get to Penasco. And there is a bathroom at the service station next door in the same complex if you still have to go again after stopping in Why. It happens!

I think the only reason I stop at that VIP thing anymore is to switch drivers if I was too busy putting on a playlist after crossing the border to pull over immediately or a friend wanted good coffee.

Oh also, sometimes I would leave at insane hours in Tucson, cross the border by 630am, and wasn't sure if that particular OXXO before you left Senota would be open, so the Circle K was the best gamble.

ChuckNoll

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy El Tapeo. They usually have three of their IPAs (West Coast, Hazy and DIPA if I recall correctly) as well as the Amber. All are made on site in a little nano brewery set up. The waiter we usually get is always pretty knowledgeable as is the brewer if he is there. We haven't tried a lot of the food, but what we did try we enjoyed.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Great report, as always.

Thanks for the heads-up about the Policia trap at the VIP Market/ former Circle K at the intersection before Sonoyta proper, never had an issue there before.

I usually take the shortcut on the right after that intersection and go to the OXXO just before the main road to get a couple of six packs to throw on ice so it is ready when we get to Penasco. And there is a bathroom at the service station next door in the same complex if you still have to go again after stopping in Why. It happens!

I think the only reason I stop at that VIP thing anymore is to switch drivers if I was too busy putting on a playlist after crossing the border to pull over immediately or a friend wanted good coffee.

Oh also, sometimes I would leave at insane hours in Tucson, cross the border by 630am, and wasn't sure if that particular OXXO before you left Senota would be open, so the Circle K was the best gamble.
It's possible it was completely random but the behavior looked to have intent so I doubt it. We always pull around back where the gas valves are in the ground. I usually park on the side of the roped off area for those ground valves. While leaving plenty of room to the right where the Sherman Williams Paint store is (recently burned) for other cars to go around the building and exit back towards the front where the pumps are and all the commercial semi trucks park right there across from Tacos Serape... It's our normal spot regardless if we're towing. When towing, it's about the only spot. Not sure why but we usually make this our ATM stop too LOL... What's that saying about old habits??? So pretty much the process is always this: park, Claudia goes in for ATM and beer and I sit out in the vehicle and change out our sim cards to TELCEL for 4G data and text/calling domestically in Mexico. This time I noticed an unreasonable amount of police presence there. Again, it seemed like there was a system. They were parked back by the semi trucks and then would speed out with lights on. Another one then came around the building from the front, around the roped off gas valves in the back, put laser beams through my forehead and then parked in almost the same spot the other one had been sitting. In that 7 minutes it takes her inside I saw that and then two other cops that had their lights on going east coming from the west of VIP on Mex2 in the direction of San Luis. To be quite honest, I don't recall one being at the normal spot at the Buen Viaje sign at the end of town... again, maybe random.

We've actually never used that OXXO at the end of the shortcut street that DEFINITELY DOES NOT EXIST. It looks nice and I never see it busy so maybe the way to go in the future. They might even have a stockpile of my EL JIMADORS that I can barely find in RP. Each OXXO will have like 2 cans... and they're not sold in packs. Not sure why. They are SUPER FANTASTICA!

rplarry

Well Known Member
La Puerca Plata's passport book is starting to fill up! We decided to tow the jet ski down this trip to try and get some fishing in. Saturday was looking the best with Sunday and Monday on the fence. Saturday morning's drive down was uneventful. We hadn't towed with the PIG yet so we were curious to see how she would do. Naturally a one ski trailer with 3 seater isn't really a true test of this vehicles towing capacity but I wanted to see how the trans temp does on the highway. Well, the towing was uneventful as well. You can barely feel anything back there. The trans temp never got above 120 on the gauge for the inline sending unit. My Torque Pro app that runs through the OBD never showed above 150 and I think there is about a 30 degree difference between the two normally so that was congruent. We got 14.4mpg on the way down. I've seen 14.8-15.5 as the low for the Tacoma towing the jet ski so the difference in mpg is negligible.

We had zero issues at the border. We got the green light but the EXOFICIAL stop with a hand gesture from the Aduana agent. He asked for the jet ski registration and said nothing of the dog in the back seat which was a first in a while. He walked back to the jet ski as I watched in the mirror I could tell he, like others, had absolutely no idea where to look on the jet ski for the VIN. He gave us a "show me something" job, acted like he was doing something and walked back over 30 seconds later with a "have a good day". No stop by the GUARDIA NACIONAL 30 ft later so we were on our way with the Sonoyta Crawl. We stopped at the big VIP Market (formerly Circle K) to get some CHELITAS BIEN FRIAS and while Claudia was in the store I got mean mugged like a MOFO while standing outside the vehicle with the dog by the Sonoyta Cops. I observed their behavior for about 10 minutes while we stopped. I saw that they sit back between the VIP and the paint store next door and watch that stop sign area where MEX 2 crosses the N/S bound traffic. They were darting out from there with lights on speeding after whoever... No idea. I just wanted to get the F out of there. Somehow, I hate Sonoyta but we always stop there. LOL We departed and continued with our crawl past the Buen Viaje, past the hill and past the first speed jump to 80KPH. Once we're around that first bend to the left we feel like we're out of Sonoyta and relax a little. It sucks that Sonoyta has to be the first and last thing you see on a GREAT weekend in Mexico. I would put $5/trip through Sonoyta in a collection bin for SONOYTA to never have to deal with feeling like I'm being preyed on again. That shit is intense for a worry wort like me. I'm a detail oriented person. I stress on every little detail about our trip and Sonoyta is a major heart ache. Once we get through there it's like YEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW we made it!!!!!!!! Donde estan las chellas bien frias?!

We arrived in Cholla Bay around 11am if I remember correctly. We ended up getting a late start in Phx and that killed our only real chance at getting good water for fishing. After eating and getting settled in we didn't get on the water until about 330pm. The water had actually started to calm considerably by then and the conditions were pretty damn good. We have a pretty good set up now, I motor the boat and pay attention to the sounder and Claudia sits in the back by the rods and handles that end of the business. We hadn't trolled more than 10 minutes when we hooked up with a small Halibut inside Pelican Point in those rocks going back in towards Tucson Beach. Claudia got that in and we got it into the boat. You can PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDD! (who can tell me what that's from? Any baseball guys/girls out there?) After that we decided to try and get a Corvina or Cabrilla so we motored around Pelican Point and started our troll with the bigger trolling lures going from West to East. We ended up getting a few really really big Triggers. One of them I swore was a really good sized Corvina. I would have put $100 initially that it was a Orange Mouth or Totoaba because it was pulling so hard that Trigger Fish never even came to mind. This thing got near the boat and went straight down under the boat and was like pulling line. I was really disappointed when we saw it was a Trigger! If I had to guess, 3.25-4 lbs. It was a big boy. After getting a few big triggers that we tossed back we realized that I hadn't looked at the tide report before we went out like I always do. I knew the tide was receding and I knew that it was a full moon/big tide weekend so I opted to tell Claudia that we should pry head back in to the bay to see what the situation is like. It's now 530pm and the situation was out of control. Apparently CB is now the COMMERCIAL PORT of Rocky Point. It reminds me of 2012 ish when the Mexican government came in with ConaPesca and Marines to remove the conch huka divers from Cholla Bay. Does anyone remember that??? Russ???? I was trying to remember exactly when that was but it reminds me exactly of that time.

So we get to the bay and there are 40 pangas staged waiting for their compas to go get the truck and trailer... The tide is now NEGATIVE and we're motoring the jet ski in 2 feet of water about half a mile from JJ's/boat ramp area. I knew we were FUCKED. There was absolutely zero chance we'd be able to get the ski onto the trailer. We would have had to get the Sequoia almost around the corner to the west going towards Tucson Beach. You just can't comprehend this situation unless you've been in and around Cholla Bay for years and years.... We would have been under 17 feet of water if it was high tide. When the tide gets this low you can't get the trailer in deep enough water to get the boat to float onto the trailer. This is why Villa and the boat launchers exist. So I got Claudia as close as I could and told her that if she sees Villa to tell him we need out. I could see from a very far distance that Villa was switching the trailer from the PIG to his launcher. At that moment I stopped stressing. Villa to the rescue!! ED B got some good photos of the mayhem from his patio. That's how far around the corner from JJ's we were putting on at. All in all, Villa got us out and we enjoyed a good dinner at Mr Fish Taco.

The next two days the wind came down off of the fence and the ocean was angry. The port was closed both Sunday and Monday so we decided to go out and romp the Sequoia around a little. After the PIGS inability to get up Competition Hill on it's first trip we were determined to check that off of the list. We bought this truck to tow and do things like sand and 4x4 well. After we realized this bullshit VSC traction control kills power in 4HI and there's no way to turn it off I started thinking we're stuck with a 4x4 soccer mom truck. VSC might be great for some inexperienced person taking their kids up a ski resort icey road or something but when you're in the sand you need/have to give it the beans and break traction on purpose. No more donuts??? No fish tails???? No CHANCE?>?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So we turned the center diff lock on and low and behold that is what turns the VSC off. After that it's a raped ape. We got up Competition multiple times without much effort after that. We never even aired the tires down so that was with 32 psi +-2... I have since learned that if you go under the hood and unplug the sensor from the master cylinder it turns the VSC off as well but who's got time for that?! What a ghetto solution. I might wire in a switch to disrupt the circuit when we just want 4Hi without the diff lock. Overall the Sequoia is a beast without the traction control so we're really happy about that. After Comp Hill we went over to our secret little beach spot by Wrecked RV park and almost got stuck below tide line in extremely deep sand and 30 degree embankment. Somehow I was able to keep going back and forward back and forward enough to get over to a small volcanic rock outcrop and got enough traction to get some steam initially to get up this 30 degree deep sand embankment. My heart was fucking pounding but the Sequoia center diff lock beasted that and we got out. The only real motivation I had to get out of that situation was hearing HOBIEVERN call me an idiot again. I didn't want to upset HOBIE VERN any further than I already have. I'm an idiot what can I say?

The only other thing to report on and it saddens me to have to say this but El Tapeo sucks. We tried 3 things and they were absolute let downs. We had two draft beers, couldn't even tell you which one because the waiter told us about them verbally as we never had a beer menu. I think they were IPA's but not certain. They were ok. I wasn't letting go in my pants or anything... Overall it was deeply disappointing. The worst part is that I ruined my ass sitting on hard wood for an hour and am still dealing with that 2 weeks later so El Tapeo keeps giving back over 2 weeks later.... SMH and because of that we were over it and ready for bed. So we went to bed hungry LOL the absolute worst. That's when you want to punch yourself in the face and ask why you didn't go with a guarantee like POLLO LUCAS OR LA VACA CHENTA for dinner. It would have been half the price, half the headache but nope, I'm a difficult son of a bitch. Damn, maybe Vern is right?????????????????
Great report Joe.

Your reports are like a mini documentary, very detailed and colorful.

As a writer, you put the reader in the action as if they were there !

Very cool. Thanks for the report.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Great report Joe.

Your reports are like a mini documentary, very detailed and colorful.

As a writer, you put the reader in the action as if they were there !

Very cool. Thanks for the report.
Thank you sir. I'm certainly no JJ but I try to provide detail.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Thanks Joe,

I do have a lot to contribute here but the mini tyrant in control here want's none of it.

Surprised he hasn't required a scanned proof of your Covid vax certificate in order for someone to even look at this forum.

"Nineteen eighty four comes knocking at the door"!

Later,

JJ

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Thanks Joe,

I do have a lot to contribute here but the mini tyrant in control here want's none of it.

Surprised he hasn't required a scanned proof of your Covid vax certificate in order for someone to even look at this forum.

Later,

JJ
84 was a good year! That's when ol Joey boy came into this world.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Thanks Joe,

Later,

JJ
I need some tips and information regarding my new center console. I'm going to create a thread in the fishing section.