Trip report 4/27 to 5/02

Scrounger

The corvina were hitting in front of the reef trailer park. There was a ton of bait fish hanging around the shore. Then we did a half day with Rocky Point Fish services for the kids to 12 mile reef. We caught two yellowtail trolling out and in, a nice pinto bass and a mess of triggers and cabrilla. Mmm ? It’s not letting me load pics… I guess it never happened

Tmecke

Thanks for the report. Heading down Friday morning for 8 days, mostly surf fishing somewhere between Las Conchas and La Pinta. Hoping the flat fish are still in the area.
No pics...never happened, so they say.
Like this forum never happened. ;

Scrounger

Thanks for the report. Heading down Friday morning for 8 days, mostly surf fishing somewhere between Las Conchas and La Pinta. Hoping the flat fish are still in the area.
No pics...never happened, so they say.
Like this forum never happened. ;
The corvina were hitting in front of the reef trailer park. There was a ton of bait fish hanging around the shore. Then we did a half day with Rocky Point Fish services for the kids to 12 mile reef. We caught two yellowtail trolling out and in, a nice pinto bass and a mess of triggers and cabrilla. Mmm ? It’s not letting me load pics… I guess it never happened

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
I am headed to Sto Tomas next friday to monday. I will let you know how it goes, and try to post proof if the site allows.

Tmecke

Haven't fished the estuaries yet, but fishing is good in Las Conchas. Some good Corvina and some big fat Leather jackets. I also caught a California Corbina and some fish I have never seen before. I did catch a Sierra Mackerel, believe it or not.(I have photos). At high tide while wading in chest deep water I launched a 1.5oz castmaster as far I could into a boil. I'm guessing it's been 40+ years since I caught a Sierra Mac and I believe the first from shore. Great trip so far.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
They are voracious toothy mouthed scaly little predators.

Stick a habenero chili in their mouth then run a wire coat hanger up their bung hole into the chili, dip them in a spiced up beer batter then deep fry them in manteca until golden brown.

Dee-Licious! Be sure to have a dental pick and plenty of floss on hand as well as lots of Bud Lite to wash out your mouth.

Tmecke

I'll pass on the bud light. Got the Gluten flu. I miss fresh lard loaded flower tortillas more than anything.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Great vids Tmeke!

Try one of those Lady Fish aka in Mehico: "Machete". You will never forget it!

There are tons of them on the shallow shell bottom shoals on the east side of Isla San Jorge. They will always take a trolled lure like a Rebel Fast Track. A blast to catch, good fighters and big jumpers.

Creepy looking with those huge eyes but actually quite pretty fish with the bright yellow face. Many years ago I caught a boat load maybe twenty and some get pretty big. Thought my wolf pack would just dig them grilled on the barbie here at home as we do with anything we can do a "meat run".

After they cooled and we finished grilling our Sierra steaks we let the dogs at them. They took a sniff then PISSED ON THEM!

I picked at the meat and noted that they actually had more bones than meat, even worse than a carp. I did do a taste test and the closest description that I could conjure up in the English language was "old warm moldy wet cardboard". No fish taste at all.

Funny thing though, the California Sea Lions based at La Isla just love stealing them as you pull them in. They grab them and in one slap knock the lure out of the fishes mouth the swallow them in one gulp.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
TJ the spit should be real good Saturday mid afternoon.
I will be fishing the whole beach and looking for pelicans diving. We do love the Pico de
Gavilan and the "cup' or "jaguey" just to the north. That was where we camped back in the day.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Four days of red hot corvina and large pompano fishing! The corvina were varied in size and skewed heavily to the shortfin variety the first two days. Size increased as it shifted to mostly orange mouth variety last two days. Each midday we found pinned bait pods just north of Jaguey fishing village. we were frequently all hooked up at the same time the rest of the day. I tried to reel in fast and erratic to try NOT to get hooked up to no avail. My friend let his Kastmaster sit on the bottom and a pompano picked it up. This was in the top five of all my hundred or so trips to Santo Tomas. The best part was that there was a red hot top water bite every day. My friend was killing it with a bright green Super Spook. I tried the Whopper Plopper that never caught any fish and they went nuts on it. Kastmasters and Dixie Jets were also hot lures. I hated to leave.

Although I was too busy to do much photography I do have some>>>

mondone

Whitecaps
Why do they call these yellow forked-tailed fish pompano down here? They are leatherjackets, hardly a pompano. Whole different fish.