Trip report 4/27 to 5/02

Old55

Well Known Member
Four days of red hot corvina and large pompano fishing! The corvina were varied in size and skewed heavily to the shortfin variety the first two days. Size increased as it shifted to mostly orange mouth variety last two days. Each midday we found pinned bait pods just north of Jaguey fishing village. we were frequently all hooked up at the same time the rest of the day. I tried to reel in fast and erratic to try NOT to get hooked up to no avail. My friend let his Kastmaster sit on the bottom and a pompano picked it up. This was in the top five of all my hundred or so trips to Santo Tomas. The best part was that there was a red hot top water bite every day. My friend was killing it with a bright green Super Spook. I tried the Whopper Plopper that never caught any fish and they went nuts on it. Kastmasters and Dixie Jets were also hot lures. I hated to leave.

Although I was too busy to do much photography I do have some>>>

Great report,
Any opinions which is the best of bad options …head back Monday or Tuesday .

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
It was never a "port". The entire thing is man made by the US Army Corps of Engineers for use as a means to get war materiel to sea if the Pacific ports were blown to shit by the Japs. That included a rail line from the FUSA to the dock that still stands next to the parking lot at the malecon.

Old55

Well Known Member
It was never a "port". The entire thing is man made by the US Army Corps of Engineers for use as a means to get war materiel to sea if the Pacific ports were blown to shit by the Japs. That included a rail line from the FUSA to the dock that still stands next to the parking lot at the malecon.
Ah the smell of a half truth in the morning….the real story is “1826 that retired Lt. Robert William Hale Hardy of the British Royal Fleet was sailing along the coasts of Sonora and Baja California searching for pearls and precious metals in the sailing ship La Bruja (the witch). He baptized the point Rocky Point and it was identified as Rocky Point on marine maps until General Lázaro Cárdenas (who was to become president of Mexico in the 1930’s) changed it to Puerto Punta Peñasco (Port Rocky Point). Americans dropped the Port, and Mexicans the Punta.”