Trip Report 9/18-9/22/2020

Haven't posted in a long time but am always reading on here. I love the trip reports, without them we most likely wouldn't have come at all this year, so I wanted to contribute our experience for others.

Arrived to line at the border at 1230p, it was backed up a little over 1/2 mile-was a 35 min wait. Right before the gas station, they were stopping traffic every few minutes to let the trucks cross for the giant waste-of-tax-payer-money wall. They had two lanes open going into Mexico and for the first time ever (or at least several years) I got the green light and military also waved us through. When I was coming up to the MX border light, two trucks with trailers that were crossing over to the US side at the very last minute, did a U-ey right back into Mexico between the end of the long US tent and border fence. One was a newer Super Duty Dually towing a probably 30ft enclosed cargo trailer; if he turned 1/8 inch tighter he would have fucked up the entire side of the trailer on the border fence...his driver side latch handle on the trailer was swung open, the fence closed it for him. I think at least one got a red in the last spot to pull over so I guess good for me? Set the cruise control after passing the military, only saw one cop kinda hidden if you were not paying attention. Got to the jacked up 32-way intersection just past the Pemex and Subway and it was multiple cars backed up. Looked like a newbie was too scared to turn left, he had plenty of opportunity if he woulda just gunned it, but whatever. Was about to go right and do the bypass instead of waiting, but then the cop that was hiding drove up to the intersection and two cops got out and halted all traffic except all of us making the left turn to PP; so that was a pleasant surprise. Despite the traffic at border, once we got out of town, traffic was pretty light. Did about 70 on the straightaway's and still a few peeps blew by us.

Side note-we still aren't 100% clear of the rules while driving, so all 5 of us were wearing masks in the truck from the border through Sonoyta and then once again when we started getting into Penasco. Looking at other cars, some were wearing, some weren't; I'd just rather avoid being messed with. And despite some others that "claim" this to be an issue, none of us passed out or felt faint due to lack of oxygen because none of us are babies.

Got to PDO at 230p after stopping for some ice and beer. Got a beachfront space for first time in several years (mostly b/c almost all our trips are spur of the moment and almost never planned in advance). Almost all beachfront spaces were full. Rest of park was empty. They really have done a nice job upgrading PDO. Everything was clean and new looking, fresh coats of paint everywhere all the way down to the parking curbs. The beachfront bar that was being built when we were there last November, was very large and nice and had a large pergola structure over the entire area. They had the bar covered up, but I wouldn't have been drinking there if it wasn't. There are even have two bathrooms butted up to the Pitaya Bar for PDO customers with an outdoor shower. The area just to the south of the office/bathrooms was also redone. There is a kids swing set and slide, and a (fake) grass area with benches, BBQ grills and sink, and the same pergola structure as down by the beach. And of course the new suites and pool where the old restaurant/mini mart were are really nice looking. We were allowed to use the pool, but didn't because the ocean was too perfect. They really did a good job at updating. They were looking forward to a good season, and then all of a sudden...this shit happens.

First few days were a little humid for me (or more likely just not used to it), but the water was the perfect temperature, not too hot, not too cold; so the majority of my time was spent as a floating turd in the ocean. The last two days had a nice breeze coming off the ocean which helped with the humidity and waves picked up a bit and were fun to play in. The beaches were fairly quiet, at least by us. Looking towards Manny's and the other side of Grenada Del Mar (which is public beach entrance if I'm not mistaken) looked a little more crowded, and there were some fairly large groups from what I could tell. Most of the vendors I recognize from the past were out-massage tables, jewelry, hats, jet skis, banana boats, burritos, etc. Almost all were respectful and kept their distance, wore their masks, and weren't too pushy, despite having a much smaller customer base to work with. There were a few non-vendors that came up and just flat out asked for money or food...I felt bad, but I cannot feed an entire city. A two-person quad with "official" looking people on them came by at least twice a day down the beach. The only wording I could see was on the back of the quad said Puerto Penasco. The rear person looked like he was recording everyone with his phone. Not sure what the point of recording was, but they did make people leave the beach at 7p if they were still in the water or not looking like they were packing up and getting ready to leave.

We ate a lot of burritos and drank lots of beer. We did not travel anywhere except to Michigan Market for beer and ice, and kept our distance from everyone and wore our masks when we were not at beach or RV. We got some food from beach vendors and from the Pitaya Bar and only ate up at the RV or our spot on the beach. The Pitaya Bar had a nice sized crowd almost every night, I imagine Manny's did too as we could hear it and see some crowds from far. But besides the bar employees wearing masks, you wouldn't have noticed there was any hint of a virus floating around; almost all the gringos were getting nice and blasted up in each others Covid faces. Pass.

We left PDO Tuesday at 830am and got to the border at 10am. Only saw one Sonoyta cop, he was sitting at the collection point south of town, and there was an actual person in it. Other than that, several Federales driving south in town. No cars crossing at border when we arrived. One lane open, X-Ray machines non-operational. I was fully expecting to get my shit pipe blasted from the BP but he was extremely pleasant. Just asked for our passports and where we were going, made fun of the Browns, and sent us on our merry way.

Everything considered, glad we made the trip as I was jonesing to get my bronze-on at the beach.

Haven't posted in a long time but am always reading on here. I love the trip reports, without them we most likely wouldn't have come at all this year, so I wanted to contribute our experience for others.

Arrived to line at the border at 1230p, it was backed up a little over 1/2 mile-was a 35 min wait. Right before the gas station, they were stopping traffic every few minutes to let the trucks cross for the giant waste-of-tax-payer-money wall. They had two lanes open going into Mexico and for the first time ever (or at least several years) I got the green light and military also waved us through. When I was coming up to the MX border light, two trucks with trailers that were crossing over to the US side at the very last minute, did a U-ey right back into Mexico between the end of the long US tent and border fence. One was a newer Super Duty Dually towing a probably 30ft enclosed cargo trailer; if he turned 1/8 inch tighter he would have fucked up the entire side of the trailer on the border fence...his driver side latch handle on the trailer was swung open, the fence closed it for him. I think at least one got a red in the last spot to pull over so I guess good for me? Set the cruise control after passing the military, only saw one cop kinda hidden if you were not paying attention. Got to the jacked up 32-way intersection just past the Pemex and Subway and it was multiple cars backed up. Looked like a newbie was too scared to turn left, he had plenty of opportunity if he woulda just gunned it, but whatever. Was about to go right and do the bypass instead of waiting, but then the cop that was hiding drove up to the intersection and two cops got out and halted all traffic except all of us making the left turn to PP; so that was a pleasant surprise. Despite the traffic at border, once we got out of town, traffic was pretty light. Did about 70 on the straightaway's and still a few peeps blew by us.

Side note-we still aren't 100% clear of the rules while driving, so all 5 of us were wearing masks in the truck from the border through Sonoyta and then once again when we started getting into Penasco. Looking at other cars, some were wearing, some weren't; I'd just rather avoid being messed with. And despite some others that "claim" this to be an issue, none of us passed out or felt faint due to lack of oxygen because none of us are babies.

Got to PDO at 230p after stopping for some ice and beer. Got a beachfront space for first time in several years (mostly b/c almost all our trips are spur of the moment and almost never planned in advance). Almost all beachfront spaces were full. Rest of park was empty. They really have done a nice job upgrading PDO. Everything was clean and new looking, fresh coats of paint everywhere all the way down to the parking curbs. The beachfront bar that was being built when we were there last November, was very large and nice and had a large pergola structure over the entire area. They had the bar covered up, but I wouldn't have been drinking there if it wasn't. There are even have two bathrooms butted up to the Pitaya Bar for PDO customers with an outdoor shower. The area just to the south of the office/bathrooms was also redone. There is a kids swing set and slide, and a (fake) grass area with benches, BBQ grills and sink, and the same pergola structure as down by the beach. And of course the new suites and pool where the old restaurant/mini mart were are really nice looking. We were allowed to use the pool, but didn't because the ocean was too perfect. They really did a good job at updating. They were looking forward to a good season, and then all of a sudden...this shit happens.

First few days were a little humid for me (or more likely just not used to it), but the water was the perfect temperature, not too hot, not too cold; so the majority of my time was spent as a floating turd in the ocean. The last two days had a nice breeze coming off the ocean which helped with the humidity and waves picked up a bit and were fun to play in. The beaches were fairly quiet, at least by us. Looking towards Manny's and the other side of Grenada Del Mar (which is public beach entrance if I'm not mistaken) looked a little more crowded, and there were some fairly large groups from what I could tell. Most of the vendors I recognize from the past were out-massage tables, jewelry, hats, jet skis, banana boats, burritos, etc. Almost all were respectful and kept their distance, wore their masks, and weren't too pushy, despite having a much smaller customer base to work with. There were a few non-vendors that came up and just flat out asked for money or food...I felt bad, but I cannot feed an entire city. A two-person quad with "official" looking people on them came by at least twice a day down the beach. The only wording I could see was on the back of the quad said Puerto Penasco. The rear person looked like he was recording everyone with his phone. Not sure what the point of recording was, but they did make people leave the beach at 7p if they were still in the water or not looking like they were packing up and getting ready to leave.

We ate a lot of burritos and drank lots of beer. We did not travel anywhere except to Michigan Market for beer and ice, and kept our distance from everyone and wore our masks when we were not at beach or RV. We got some food from beach vendors and from the Pitaya Bar and only ate up at the RV or our spot on the beach. The Pitaya Bar had a nice sized crowd almost every night, I imagine Manny's did too as we could hear it and see some crowds from far. But besides the bar employees wearing masks, you wouldn't have noticed there was any hint of a virus floating around; almost all the gringos were getting nice and blasted up in each others Covid faces. Pass.

We left PDO Tuesday at 830am and got to the border at 10am. Only saw one Sonoyta cop, he was sitting at the collection point south of town, and there was an actual person in it. Other than that, several Federales driving south in town. No cars crossing at border when we arrived. One lane open, X-Ray machines non-operational. I was fully expecting to get my shit pipe blasted from the BP but he was extremely pleasant. Just asked for our passports and where we were going, made fun of the Browns, and sent us on our merry way.

Everything considered, glad we made the trip as I was jonesing to get my bronze-on at the beach.
That is a good report. Last time we went to Nogales for medicine and contact lenses back in July the officer at the border said don't wear that Dolphins hat again or I wont let you in Go Bills! Then at the checkpoint the officer also said the same thing Go Bills! In August we went to Patagonia lake to cool off and returning the agent at the checkpoint in Tubac said don't wear that hat again which this time was the Chicago Bears had I own because I like both Bears & Dolphins. He said Go Bills! LOL. I think Tucson sector brought down a bunch of agents from the Niagara sector to help or something.

Last edited:
That is a good report. Last time we went to Nogales for medicine and contact lenses back in July the officer at the border said don't wear that Dolphins hat again or I wont let you in Go Bills!
I cross the border daily and have a prominent Bills decal on the back of my truck. Over the years I have been shocked at how many customs agents are from Buffalo. I think many are building up seniority down south so they can eventually put in for a transfer back home. GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, I have noticed many of them seem to be from the great lakes region. This last BP agent said he was a Lions fan, so he couldn't rip them too bad. I've never really had any issues going north across the border from MX b/c they are always too busy making fun of the Browns (north into Canada completely opposite, those Canadian BP don't mess around).

I guess moral of the story is, if you want an easy time crossing the border, put something Browns related on your car.