Trip to Lobos

CBFinet

Well after a few failed attempts I finally made it to Puerto Lobos. I was trying to get there last Spring but it never happened. This time my wife and I went down for a quick overnight trip. We left Rocky Point mid-morning and made it down in just about 2 hours.

We drove around and scoped out the town first and settled on a spot just north of the lighthouse to set up camp. The beach here was too soft/shallow to launch my zodiac but we planned on driving over to the other side of the lighthouse to launch the boat ( I have a 2WD SUV).

After setting up camp and relaxing with a few beers we headed over to the other side of the point to go out for what we thought would be a quick trip. I recently picked up a '79 15hp Johnson as an upgrade to the 6 horse I was using before. I went through it and rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel pump, water pump housing/impeller, and replaced some fuel lines and lower unit oil. We got out a ways and were just picking up mid-size sand bass and then decided to head in as the sun was about to go down- the motor wouldn't work... it would run and go into gear but we weren't going anywhere.

At this point I got on the oars and started rowing back. We were at least 2 miles from where we launched and it was getting dark fast- thankfully we had the lighthouse as a reference point. So with my wife leaning over the bow of the boat with a flashlight watching for rocks and our dog getting nervous we finally got back to the car and packed things up. At that point we were glad to have camp set up and went about making dinner and enjoying some cocktails. It turns out the prop spun the bushing/hub and that was why we weren't going anywhere. I know we lightly hit a shallow sand bar on the way out but it must have been ready to go when I bought the motor. My fault for not checking it out better.

The next day we had planned to get up early and get out before high tide so that we could find some points/shallow reefs by slack tide. With the motor not working we decided to sleep in a bit and make breakfast. Eventually we were visited by a really sweet beach dog (stray) that probably had the best meal of his life. We went out in the zodiac later near the light house just rowing a ways out from shore. We caught countless sand bass and trigger fish as well as a silver colored fish shaped similar to a trigger that I couldn't ID. We were visited by a seal and some dolphins but unfortunately didn't get any pics of them as I just had my phone with me.

THANK YOU to everyone to responded to my previous posts. It didn't turn out quite like I wanted (motor issues) but we had a great time and managed to catch a few fish. I just wish we had more time...

It looks like I may be headed down to Lobos again Jan. 6-8 spending two nights camping on the beach and definitely doing more fishing this time. I got a new prop for the zodiac and a bunch of new gear thanks to Cabela's gift cards as well as a Garmin GPS to mark whatever spots we find. I'll be with 1 or 2 other guys just tent camping on the beach but if anyone would like to meet up any of those days please let me know. I'm happy to take people out fishing.

Enjoy the pics!

[/URL][/IMG]