Tropical Storm Simon

azdiva

after the much concerned Norbert, which was a dry fart here in Penasco. I hope this storm will be the same,
however after a few false flags from previous storms, don't be complacent. These storms are always unpredictable. Heavy rains like we had in Phoenix from Norbert would have been a disaster in RP. Keep watch and post any happenings.

It isn't that powerful a storm in the first place, and I'm thinking (hoping . . . pretty sure) that by the time it crosses the Baja it will have weakened considerably.

Simon had gotten up to a Cat 3 hurricane, but it is pretty weak now and when it crosses Baja it will weaken further and just provide some cooler temps
and some nice rain to RP and AZ.

BootNHat

We have had a nice gentle rain here for the last 4 hours. Of course it is enough to wash the dirt out of all the pot holes.

Any updates on the weather? I heard that it was raining quite hard. We're headed down this morning from Phoenix - if anyone has an update on the roads I'd appreciate it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mondone

Whitecaps
Anyone thinking of heading to or leaving Peñasco today, especially Playa Encanto, may want to think twice. I have already recorded 2.77 inches of rain since midnight. Simon is leaving a flooded mess and I can only imagine how bad the roads are.

apricot

Anyone thinking of heading to or leaving Peñasco today, especially Playa Encanto, may want to think twice. I have already recorded 2.77 inches of rain since midnight. Simon is leaving a flooded mess and I can only imagine how bad the roads are.
Thanks for the update. We have decided to delay our trip by a day or two. Please keep us posted on the weather.

mondone

Whitecaps
Per RP360-
Travel advisories - Oct 8 - for the moment. Roads between Puerto Peñasco - Caborca closed, as well as currently between Sonoyta - Puerto Penasco.

Oct 8. 11:30 a.m. - Travel update - Highway between Sonoyta and Puerto Peñasco is temporarily closed at about KM 10 (just outside Sonoyta) Federal Highway officials are monitoring situation and will advise once it opens up again.

Heard PDO folks had to turn around and head back to the RV park.

An owner at LP is being told by people coming back that sonoyta bridge is also closed. Lots of flooding to gila bend as well.

mondone

Whitecaps
Simon says – road is open!
A stretch along the Sonoyta – Puerto Peñasco highway was reopened after being shut down for about 4 hours on Oct. 8th, due to washes running over the highway at approximately KM 6.
The Communications Office in the municipality of Sonoyta confirmed the stretch of highway reopened around noon on Wednesday, after water in the wash began to decrease.
The temporary closure had been determined by the Civil Protection Board, with support of the Federal Police, in order to prevent accidents along the highway that was impacted for a number of hours by rain caused by the storm “Simon.”
For anyone planning to travel today, everyone is encouraged to remain alert to road conditions and any weather changes that may cause a rise in washes.

mondone

Whitecaps
85 still closed in two spots as of now. Between Ajo and Why, and the other between Why and Sonoyta.