Trouble in Mexico.

Don Juan

Story by Luke Gentile • Yesterday 1:30 PM

A 19-foot great white shark decapitated a man in front of horrified witnesses earlier this month, claiming the first reported shark attack victim of 2023.
Massive great white decapitates man as fishermen look on in horror
Massive great white decapitates man as fishermen look on in horror© Provided by Washington Examiner
The attack occurred on Jan. 5 in the waters off the coast of San Jose Beach in Mexico's Tobari Bay, according to a report.
The victim, identified as Manuel Lopez, was diving when "the animal attacked him, ripping off his head and biting both shoulders," Jose Bernal, a fisherman who witnessed the attack, said.
Witnesses to the scene said Lopez was diving for ax tripe, a species of mollusk similar to scallops, and had been diving to depths of 59 feet without an air tank, according to the report.
Google bahia de tobari and filter on news

WOW

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
Google bahia de tobari and filter on news

WOW

A great white shark decapitated a diver off the coast of Mexico in front of surprised fishermen.

In the first deadly shark attack of 2023, Manuel López was scuba diving off San José beach in Tobari Bay on the west coast of Mexico when the shark attacked him on January 5.

López, a man in his 50s, had his head severed from his body by the 19-foot (5.7-meter) shark.

Fisherman José Bernal told Tracking Sharks that López "was diving when the animal attacked him, tore off his head and bit both of his shoulders."

Lopez had been diving to a depth of about 18 meters (59 feet) to collect scallop calluses, a scallop-like mollusk, on the ocean floor when the shark attacked.

Old55

Well Known Member
A great white shark decapitated a diver off the coast of Mexico in front of surprised fishermen.

In the first deadly shark attack of 2023, Manuel López was scuba diving off San José beach in Tobari Bay on the west coast of Mexico when the shark attacked him on January 5.

López, a man in his 50s, had his head severed from his body by the 19-foot (5.7-meter) shark.

Fisherman José Bernal told Tracking Sharks that López "was diving when the animal attacked him, tore off his head and bit both of his shoulders."

Lopez had been diving to a depth of about 18 meters (59 feet) to collect scallop calluses, a scallop-like mollusk, on the ocean floor when the shark attacked.
Sort of pro shark on this one.These guys just strip the sea of shellfish etc . More great whites at Lobos and the island means less seal Yellow tail theft too..

Tmecke

That make more sense. Deeper colder water down there. GW sightings this far north are pretty rare as far as I know.

ernesto

Well Known Member
Are you referring to the clam diver that got hit between the Islas and the mainland to the East?
A scuba diver is dead after he was attacked by what is believed to have been a shark in the waters off Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, on Tuesday. Nahum Verdugo, 37, had gone fishing with friends in an area known as Haway, 10 kilometers southeast of Isla San Jorge.Dec 20, 2018

Last edited:

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
Are you referring to the clam diver that got hit between the Islas and the mainland to the East?
A scuba diver is dead after he was attacked by what is believed to have been a shark in the waters off Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, on Tuesday. Nahum Verdugo, 37, had gone fishing with friends in an area known as Haway, 10 kilometers southeast of Isla San Jorge.Dec 20, 2018
This was a recreational diver in 2020 to the best of my recollection. But we don’t have journalism or even social media of the same standard as in the US, so who knows. I probably saw it on Rocky Point 360.

Old55

Well Known Member
The seal that ripped a foot of skin off the women divers thigh at Bird Island 10 years ago is a bigger threat.The story is on this forum. Whites do come to Bird Island

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The seal that ripped a foot of skin off the women divers thigh at Bird Island 10 years ago is a bigger threat.The story is on this forum. Whites do come to Bird Island
They indeed do. Hooked up on one myself several years ago. We were fishing out of a panga at the time. One of the reasons (besides aggressive sea lions) to stay in the boat at the island.

ernesto

Well Known Member
So this incident was 6 miles southeast of Isla San Jorge, Not even close. I used to dive at the island with the Lobos once in awhile. Lars was usually the divemaster, sometimes Rupert. In their years of diving there, never saw a shark, Lars did tell me of a huge great white hauled in to La Pinta by a panga that was caught in the deep water south of the island. I saw a juvenile hammerhead swimming the surface off Las Conchas when I was Hobie sailing there last year. It was about 2 feet long, kinda surprised me tho. I have never heard of an attack near Penasco by swimmers.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
"HAWEY 6.2 miles SE of the island" That would be the panguero fish camp at Punta Jaguey north of Santo Thomas. The waters from the beach at the campo are wide shallow shoals of shells all the way out to Isla San Jorge. The area is now being stripped bare of the hairy oysters that the locals are selling as "callo" which means "scallop" in Gringo. I've tried every way possible to cook them in a manner to make them edible. Nothing short of mincing them into tiny fragments will work, even then its like chewing away on a chunk of old rubber inner tube that you end up swallowing for no nutritional gain whatsoever.

The sick and dying California Sea Lions that haul out and breed on the island which by the way are not seals at all end up on the beach there and many have massive wounds from some type of large sharks. We see them regularly washed up on that beach. There are dolphins and porpoises with bite wounds as well. Great Whites target marine mammals with thick layers of fat as in Sea Lions and often times just take one huge bite then leave the wounded animal to die.

I have seen two huge Great Whites at El Golfo that were tangled up in gill nets then brought to shore by the pangueros. That was back in the 70's.

They were without a doubt man eaters.

JJ

Last edited:

Old55

Well Known Member
Reminds me of the time the Humbolt squid ate all those guys in the over loaded panga …

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Never heard about "all those guys" that got eaten by the squid.

Anyway for years there were two Great White Shark jaws on display in El Golfo. One was on a ranch gateway on the north end of town, the other on the gateway at the "T" in the road to PP. Both were big enough to swallow a normal sized human. Years ago there was an enormous Black Marlin wired to a barbed wire fence at the north end that was at least fifteen feet long.

There used to be a guy at Rodeo Drive that sold shark jaws and teeth who had a set on the wall that was almost two feet wide. He claimed that it came from PP.

My wife found a Megladon tooth on a little dry lake bed up in the hills west of Bahia San Fransisquito BC a few years back.

JJ

corndog

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
Last edited:

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
The LA Times went to a lot of Mexican mom and pop pharmacies in tourist areas and bought pain pills and aderal. Test strips showed that most were fentanyl or meth. This will be a big story. A UCLA study is getting similar results.

Old55

Well Known Member
The LA Times went to a lot of Mexican mom and pop pharmacies in tourist areas and bought pain pills and aderal. Test strips showed that most were fentanyl or meth. This will be a big story. A UCLA study is getting similar results.

Crap…I would be pissed if I bought some adderal for a night of hard drinking and it was actually Fentanyl