Truck stolen at RP!

Hi all,

I was at the RC&TP concert last Saturday, and when I returned to where my truck was parked, it was gone!

I was parked at Calle13 and Plutarco in front of the Thrifty's ice cream.

We reported the stolen truck at the municipal police station around 1am, and at 3:30am, they showed up at my trailer and said that the PFP (federales) had found my truck! It was found in the desert about 30 miles from town towards Sonoita.

It took about 20 hours of visiting police, judges, public ministry officials, and lot of cab rides, but I ended up getting my truck back around 4pm on Monday. It was banged up from the theft, and all of the internal content were stolen, but they left the passports in the truck!?!

The funniest part of the whole thing was the jefe of the federales telling me that they used my truck to pull a stuck police pickup out of the sand...

Anyway, when I return in November, I'll have the brake pedal lock in the truck, and use cabs for being out at night...

I just sent in the estimate to ana compania de seguros, so I'm a little anxious to see how dealing with Mexican insurance works. Do any of you have any experience with it?

Thanks,

Jim

B

bahiatrader

It took me over a year to collect one time, but I've heard that others have collected more promptly.

That sucks.....almost sounds like the federales were involved...."fortunate" how they were able to locate your truck in the middle of the night halfway up to Sonoita that quickly!!! Maybe they needed to make a pickup (or dropoff) out in the desert!

Is it an older truck? Any kind of built-in security system?

B

BeachMom

When we had our accident we were required to mail in two estimates (along with the police and local adjusters report). They actually averaged the two estimates and sent us a check within 5 weeks ($3500.00). We had (still have) Ana Seguros.

The truck is a 2000 F250 crew cab. It had a roll top cover over the bed, that they stomped on to steal some of the contents.

No alarm system.

The insurance company has the police report, adjusters report and one estimate. I have one from another company to send them if they ask for it.

Beachmom- Thanks for the feedback! I'll be thrilled if this is all settled in 5 weeks!

I now have one of those locking mechanisms that locks up your brake pedal. It's supposed to be more secure than a club. I plan to use it in both RP and the US!

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Regards,

Jim

G

gunner

I feel for you!! Just last week my 2007 F350 Power Stroke was jacked from out front of the YMCA, in Prescott of all places. Unfortunatley they found the truck south of Mayer stripped to the bone. It happens more in the states then south of the border, doesn't make it right!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I wouldn't be without one. Someone tried to steal my old Jeep from a nightclub in Sonoyta a long time ago (while I was attending the Black and White Ball, no less!) and my current Jeep from in front of the old Cove at Miramar while I was asleep. It chirps at them and then goes off if they continue. It also has a gas kill. I haven't even had a broken window or slashed top since I've had them armed. Bad enough it's Just Empty Every Pocket! :lol: Worse to replace glass and tops! :( . Believe me, the peace of mind is worth the expense!

Kenny

gunner said:
I feel for you!! Just last week my 2007 F350 Power Stroke was jacked from out front of the YMCA, in Prescott of all places. Unfortunatley they found the truck south of Mayer stripped to the bone. It happens more in the states then south of the border, doesn't make it right!!
Wow gunner, sorry. That's right out in the open with lot's of traffic. Yep, Prescott's sure not the town it was just a short time ago.

Kenny

S

Submarine

When they strip the motor out of a Ford, they cut the frame rails behind the springs/radius arms and just rip it right out the front. Ruins the whole truck but they can do it in less than 15 minutes.

I use an alarm but mostly to just ward off your average stereo thieves. Really there isn't a lot you can do. If you want it back bad enough, get a live GPS tracker like Worldtracker: http://www.startechoutlet.com/GPRS.htm Better than Lojack because you can track it and notify police yourself instantly where it is.

Now if you really want to get technical rig it up like a bait car where you get an alert when it moves from the tracker and you can shut if off and lock the doors remotely. Then grab your trusty axe handle and clean house!

Minimal, sensible protection is the best bet with good insurance and a low deductible and modification coverage. This is another good reason to use Liberty Mutual or Allstate where you are covered into Mexico. I personally would not want it back after those bastards have their way with my truck.

Another trick I use in Mexico is find some local kid and pay him $20 to watch your truck while you are gone for any extended period of time. That kid will sit on your hood the entire time.

J

Jamie75

Kind of late responding...but we were involved in a accident in Penasco years ago in front of what is now known as Sammy's. A local ran the stop sign(back in the day, it was only a two way stop) and smashed the whole front end of my Accord. He had no insurance but took my husband to Pithaya and bought him a beer.(gee thanks..what a way to start a trip, we literally were there for an hour!) We went to the insurance adjuster in Penasco and he took pics and filled out the paper work..he had no copier so we had to cart his ass up to Jim Burr to make copies for 5 cents. We had to get 2 quotes and had to UPS them to Hermosillo. It took us 3 months to get our money but we got it. The damage to our car was nasty, but we could still drive it. Actually..this is horrible to admit, but we knew the people we got the two quotes from(they padded it because we found out the insurance co would only pay Mexican labor rates)and our check not only covered our repairs, but helped pay for our next trip down! :twisted:

Best of luck...it pays to have insurance!!!

E

El Semental

"Another trick I use in Mexico is find some local kid and pay him $20 to watch your truck while you are gone for any extended period of time. That kid will sit on your hood the entire time."

Yep, and for $30 from the car thieves they will help break the window so they can get in.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Jamie75 said:
Inka...I am confused? Did I miss something? :?
No you have not, it is just that when ever someopne mention some little white lie or some small twist in legal things cactus used to jump all over and the sirens went off and his policia style to reprimend? people comes out, I guess he has not been here for a while posting, that's all :eek:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
leigh said:
Read Sally arrested
Sorry, leigh I think you are confused, has nothing to do with sally being arrested has to do with cactusamigo, I am not sure if you know him or not since he has not posted in a while!!