True story and why you need to check your ceiling fans.

Edge Handyman

Funny, true, scary story, one night while my family and i where sleeping, I heard a loud crash from the living-room, I grabbed the first thing i could find...my wife. lol :clown: (Kidding!) A golf club. I slowly walked down the hall to the living-room thinking someone just crashed through the front window. I turned on the light to find the glass coffee table was broken in many pieces with the ceiling fan blade laying in the middle. Don't make the same mistake and possibly loose your head... Inspect the fan each year. Turn it off first, then gently lift up and down on each blade to ensure they are firmly attached. If the assembly includes a light fixture, check the glass bulbs for cracks or chips. Then look at the light bulbs and pull easily on the light or fan's dangling strings, if any. Firmly secure any loose parts or replace those that are broken or not working as they should. If you notice any shorts in the electrical system, or a blinking light in the assembly, call an electrician (Edge) to check it out.

Life1

Funny you would say that. I had a light fixture drop and hit me in the head. Wasn't injured but for a little bump on my head. Really shocked me to say the least. Good advice to check those things out.:p

playaperro

El Pirata
I clean and check my fans like every six years, how do change the light bulbs now that they quit selling the old type, I have them on remote control with a dimmer switch and the new type don't let me dim, its all or nothing..Use blue locktite on the screws...

Edge Handyman

Blue locktite is a great idea! Home Depot makes a florescent dimmable bulb. Not sure if it's available here. The EcoSmart 23-Watt (100W) Dimmable Soft White CFL Light Bulb (E)

jerry

Well Known Member
Ok i have one...valves under sinks etc....most construction in RP is substandard and the cheapest of the cheap tends to go to crap...replace with good ones

Roberto

Well Known Member
Ok i have one...valves under sinks etc....most construction in RP is substandard and the cheapest of the cheap tends to go to crap...replace with good ones
Yes, those zinc alloy water shut off valves dissolve in the Penasco water. Yep, dissolve. Several occasions we found homes that were empty for a long time flooded with water. The pump will run and cook itself then. First thought was the maid had wacked it with a mop or something but that was not the case on investigation. You can find solid brass shut offs in the US, that's the ticket for here.

playaperro

El Pirata
Si, I have another, garage doors springs, Worst feeling in the world when going somewhere and the door falls apart!

Roberto

Well Known Member
I wonder is it would make sense to install a water softening system on a house here. Had a similar situation in the Rio Grande Valley of New Mexico,water softener was necessary the water was so hard.

Edge Handyman

Hey Roberto, Soft water systems work great and would always be ideal if there was no black pipe used for all or some of the plumbing. I've seen a lot of it here on older buildings.
I was the largest evap cooler installer in Arizona and had many customers that didn't understand why their new evap cooler rusted out in a few years after installing a soft water system...even though it was Teflon coated it would work it's way under coating. Even the blower wheel would rust out from the soft water evaporating. It can be destructive. That's salt at work for you!!