Trying to figure out Telcel USB Modem

Miakko

Telcel tells us they don't have available lines to hook up internet to our house so we've gotten a Telcel USB modem. My spanish isn't great but if I understood correctly, I need to go to Oxxo to buy a card to somehow add data to the modem to keep using it? Does this sound right?

Miakko

They told us the monthly rate for 6gb of data would be about $381 a month. Is the 18 month contract pricemuch better

jerry

They told us the monthly rate for 6gb of data would be about $381 a month. Is the 18 month contract pricemuch better
I think (unless it has changed) you had to get that long a contract...ours (we split with the house next door) comes to less than forty bucks a month..if you stay away from video...10 gb lasts a long time

GV Jack

Snorin God
OK, let me kick in my 2 cents here.

Miakko, do you have the Tecel AMIGO USB Modem stick? If so, here is a web page where you can sign up for various amounts of Data Usage.

https://www.recarga.telcel.com/TelcelMXExternalWebAnonymous/enter.do

On this page you put in your phone number, which is for the stick, and put a dot for a comparison page, submit and it will give you a page with a
number of options. During my last trip we used 1 gig in six days. That is roughly 1021 MB. There was no streaming video in that usage. As Jerry
said, that will eat up tons of data in a very short time. I have found the AMIGO stick to be very good most of the time. We go to Las Conchas, down
on the beach and the service is mostly good. Not as fast as cable here, but good. On a rare occaission it really slows dow, but not often.

Now, I'm not sure what Jerry is refering to as far as sharing with his neighbor and all that. I suspect it is not the AMIGO stick, but as has happened
a few times in my life, I COULD be wrong. The one I am using is good for short stays. If I were to have a place, I would certainly switch to a more
long term deal.

I hope this helps.

GV

jerry

jack you can get a dlink wireless router you can plug the stick into..costs 29 bucks on amazon

GV Jack

Snorin God
Really, that's intereresting. I've got to believe the Amigo stick would work on that.

An 18 month deal wouldn't be too good for me. I only get down about 3 to 4 times a year.

If I let everyone else hook up their devices to that the MB's would fly away. :rofl:

Miakko

We do have the Amigo USB Modem stick. Had no idea that it would work plugged into a router - will certainly check that out. I figured that I will use roughly 12gb every 30 days; no video just work related.

GV Jack

Snorin God
I did some searching on the router deal and wasn't able to find a router that would take the USB stick. They all seemed to take the ethernet plugs.

Wow, 12 gigs every 30 days. That's gonna cost. That's about $60.00 a month. Hope it's deductable..; )

mis2810

There's probably an adaptor that fits the USB to conver it to the ethernet plug, but good luck trying to find that in Mexico. But then again, what do I know. I tried to install a wireless router in the condo I stayed in last month and completely screwed it up.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Mis, I bet you got something there. An adapter might do it. That'll give me something to search for tomorrow.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Bingo..here it is. [h=1]Female USB A to Male Ethernet RJ45 Plug Adapter New [/h]
Try Amazon or Best Buy.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Oops.. the whole thing went down the drain.

The USB stick needs power and the only place it gets it is from the Laptop/PC.

So unless someone has abetter idea, your stuck using it in the computer without a router.

What Jerry must be talking about is an ethernet cord coming from a powered modem into the router. Right Jer???

jerry

Well i own one dlink makes it...discontinued and only 30 bucks I'm packed up to go home but will get you the link

GV Jack

Snorin God
Thanks,Playa. There is an adapter available but I was concerned about powering the USB Broadband once it's connected to the router.

It struck me last night that the router has power so now I wonder if that would power the stick. So many questions, so little time.

If your end goal is to have Wifi without a router....you can do this with your laptop or desktop computer provided that you have a Wifi card already and you are running a OS higher then XP.

Simply go to your wireless setup screen and create an ad-hoc network. Plug your Telcel USB into the computer and others can use your internet thru your ad-hoc network