Tucson chamber visits Peñasco

Roberto, I think they mean owners with permanent residence status (this is easier for the goverment to track when it comes to statistics). This would include all the US residents who own their units and rent them out (many hardly come down, but they may have permanent residency status). So I could see 10k or so with 'residency' status.
IDK about that many absentee owners? it's possible, but wouldn't many of the renters be from the US? Let's run some numbers.

To support a number of 10,000 with RP, having a 50-60,000 population with these 10,000 US included,
would mean a ratio of 4 1/2 Mexicans to one from the US. I have never seen a ratio of US people that high, (other than some of the bar/restaurants)
it is more like 10-12 to one.
Bear this out by going to the grocery stores, Bodega, Sam's, etc. the ratio is 10-1 Mex/US or higher.
(sometimes when we're at Super Ley, we are the only Gringos in there)

I have seen many times where some RP official will report some very inflated numbers on big weekends, I have seen it over and over the past 20 years.

Doesn't having 10,000 people to pitch to sound much better than 2,000?

In the end the boosters have to paint a nice rosy picture in order to attract all the investment $$ they so desperately want.
And by stretching the truth a bit, goes along way to achieving that goal. Upbeat news is better than downbeat news
(this not only a RP behavior, all boosters promote like this for their pet projects all over the world)
Down off my, box of soap.;)

JimMcG

I think the important consideration is whether or not the movers and shakers can remedy the existing problems and deliver on their latest upbeat projections. Restoring lost credibility would be a good first step.

jerry

It is a natural landing spot for Mexicans deported blended families,American contractors with judgements ( check Az supreme Court data for some familiar names) and early retirement types...the future is bright ...now is the time to buy!!!!

Roberto

To support a number of 10,000 with RP, having a 50-60,000 population with these 10,000 US included,
would mean a ratio of 4 1/2 Mexicans to one from the US. I have never seen a ratio of US people that high, (other than some of the bar/restaurants)
it is more like 10-12 to one.
Bear this out by going to the grocery stores, Bodega, Sam's, etc. the ratio is 10-1 Mex/US or higher.
(sometimes when we're at Super Ley, we are the only Gringos in there)

It helps me to imagine a group that large to get an idea if it is reasonable. If you placed 10 people in a row with 10 more 5 feet behind that group would cover about 5,000 feet or one mile. Gives you a visual idea what 10K people would look like. That's a lot of folk. Yes I am often the only non native in the stores, even the Bodega.

And by stretching the truth a bit, goes along way to achieving that goal. Upbeat news is better than downbeat news
(this not only a RP behavior, all boosters promote like this for their pet projects all over the world)

Exactly. While presented as a 'news' article it is a good example of what we used to fall a 'puff piece' supporting something or the other. Lots of positive talk but few actual facts and of little of consequence. Small town papers need to do this to survive. It was not an 'Advertorial' per se but close to one. MOst people who read them know this already.

Roberto

Hmmm, maybe I made it all up as there is no reference in the online posted article to the 10,000 OR the private-public group ???o_Oo_Oo_O

Kenny

Exactly. While presented as a 'news' article it is a good example of what we used to fall a 'puff piece' supporting something or the other. Lots of positive talk but few actual facts and of little of consequence. Small town papers need to do this to survive. It was not an 'Advertorial' per se but close to one. MOst people who read them know this already.
Mmmmmm, where I'm from I think we just call it Bullshit.:D

Roberto

Mmmmmm, where I'm from I think we just call it Bullshit.:D

In fairness to the publication is is the hometown paper for Sierra Vista and they do a nice job covering local news that no one from out of town cares about. Soccer teams, etc. Fills a useful void in local info for the locals.

Hmmm, maybe I made it all up as there is no reference in the online posted article to the 10,000 OR the private-public group ???o_Oo_Oo_O
Nothing against you, Roberto. Just the overflowing glass of optimism the report had in it.
For a project of this magnitude to succeed, RP needs to take the training wheels off the bike and do this thing the right way, very quickly,
There are many support services for this that need to get updated in such a short amount of time, 2017 is right around the corner.

Roberto

Seriously, look at the original article. Those references no longer appear in the article !! Some one must have scourged them !!

Seriously, look at the original article. Those references no longer appear in the article !! Some one must have scourged them !!
Humm! That article is missing much of the info from when I originally read it. They must follow this forum. LOL

Would they have maybe factored in an average, for example if they included Americans in Puerto Penasco during La Semana Santa and all other major holidays to come up with that number?

jerry

"Diana Nieves explained that the construction company had determined that the natural rock they were using was not efficient. They stopped construction to strategize and after several months, began manufacturing a concrete product with local labor. The delay caused a challenge in the steady continuation of federal funds. Now, fortunately, after the brief delay, the public-private partnership in charge of the construction is back on track and very optimistic."

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward