UBER in Penasco??

Roberto

Well Known Member
Stepped out of a local hardware store and there was parked a small car with UBER in the rear window. A woman was standing by smiling at me and looking proud.

Anyone know if there is UBER in Penasco. the Taxi union will go ballistic if so.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
The taxis in Penasco are gangster and need to go away. The taxi standard MO is to rape & pillage all who enter their cab. Weak police and lack of law enforcement contribute. A general well publicized boycott of all taxis should commence immediately.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Do you think that applies to everyone or only tourists?? It's a big issue here because many do not own a vehicle and are depending on Taxis or Shanks Mare. A boycott is simply not feasible for locals. I don't think the locals put up with much bull from taxi drivers. Unfamiliar non residents are easy victims. As some call it, the " Tourist Tax". Along those lines, I will not shop at any place where the prices are not marked. Ihave bought at the Segundas but I always have a local check the price before I buy anything. If I ask, the price I get is usually 30 to 50% higher.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
I feel it’s just a general sense of lawlessness within an industry. Unions protect this unlawful behavior and without the ability to report and grade driver performance (which the taxi drivers and unions oppose because the truth would hurt them) the problem exists. Generally competition is good for any industry. Hopefully Uber & Lyft can put an end to this scumbag taxi industry in Penasco. Reporting and transparency is everything. Most organizations that fight reporting, transparency and informing the consumer are hiding criminality, and their own extortion efforts of the common folk who need the service and rely on it. For example; this conversation should be on an easy to find and read forum in Spanish & English where the locals and tourists can easily access it.

Last edited:
Hi all I am new to the page. My wife was a local down there. When we first met I used to do Uber in Phoenix and then go see her on the weekends in Penasco. She always used to tell me to take off my Uber sticker on my window while visiting because she said the taxi companies are owned by the mafia. This is common all throughout Mexico in order to launder money. With that being said the scumbag taxi industry in Penasco will never go away or let an Uber in as long as the cartels are in control of the taxis.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
The taxis in Penasco are gangster and need to go away. The taxi standard MO is to rape & pillage all who enter their cab. Weak police and lack of law enforcement contribute. A general well publicized boycott of all taxis should commence immediately.
You can read through my posts about this subject from the last 12 years... I refuse, absolutely REFUSE to ride in a taxi in Rocky Point after my GF (at the time) and I almost died because our driver went through a stop sign and we were almost t-boned. It was so bad that I made the guy pull over and we got out right there and I said never again. That's why I have always argued against the argument that you should NOT drink and drive and just get a taxi. Well if only everything was that simple. The issue is far more complex than that. Especially when you ALSO consider the price gouging that they TRY and get away with.

About 3 years ago I had been hanging out with ED B and some other local Cholla Bay residents at Banditos for some live music. My ride went home earlier than I wanted to so at the end of the night I was forced to take a cab. Before we get to the Cholla Bay entrance I ask how much do I owe? Cuanto Te debo compa... this guy goes, $20! I'm like WTFFF for a 3 mile ride?????!!!!!!!!! Obviously because I'm stubborn as hell I said NO CHANCE! Now, as I have mentioned before and as some of you know, I'm partially paralyzed below my waist but I can stand and walk some short distances with my walker. I tell the guy all I have is 200 pesos which was a complete LIE. The guy refused to drive me the rest of the way so I basically told him to go F himself and he let me out at the police station. I had to walk the rest of the way to the house I was staying at, at 3am, slightly intoxicated and partially paralyzed with a damn walker... Best part is like 3 or 4 cars and UTV's coming home for the night saw and passed me and not one person offered to assist. I was FULLY capable and prepared to walk since my decision was based on strong principle not to give into these CULEROS so it wasn't any of those people's fault not to stop and ask. Man o man that walk was a B!TCH that night LOLLLLL!

Furthermore, as others have said, the cabs are fronts for the cartel so no chance in hell Uber is coming to Rocky Point. All the cabs sell cocaine so no surprise there.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
You can read through my posts about this subject from the last 12 years... I refuse, absolutely REFUSE to ride in a taxi in Rocky Point after my GF (at the time) and I almost died because our driver went through a stop sign and we were almost t-boned. It was so bad that I made the guy pull over and we got out right there and I said never again. That's why I have always argued against the argument that you should NOT drink and drive and just get a taxi. Well if only everything was that simple. The issue is far more complex than that. Especially when you ALSO consider the price gouging that they TRY and get away with.

About 3 years ago I had been hanging out with ED B and some other local Cholla Bay residents at Banditos for some live music. My ride went home earlier than I wanted to so at the end of the night I was forced to take a cab. Before we get to the Cholla Bay entrance I ask how much do I owe? Cuanto Te debo compa... this guy goes, $20! I'm like WTFFF for a 3 mile ride?????!!!!!!!!! Obviously because I'm stubborn as hell I said NO CHANCE! Now, as I have mentioned before and as some of you know, I'm partially paralyzed below my waist but I can stand and walk some short distances with my walker. I tell the guy all I have is 200 pesos which was a complete LIE. The guy refused to drive me the rest of the way so I basically told him to go F himself and he let me out at the police station. I had to walk the rest of the way to the house I was staying at, at 3am, slightly intoxicated and partially paralyzed with a damn walker... Best part is like 3 or 4 cars and UTV's coming home for the night saw and passed me and not one person offered to assist. I was FULLY capable and prepared to walk since my decision was based on strong principle not to give into these CULEROS so it wasn't any of those people's fault not to stop and ask. Man o man that walk was a B!TCH that night LOLLLLL!

Furthermore, as others have said, the cabs are fronts for the cartel so no chance in hell Uber is coming to Rocky Point. All the cabs sell cocaine so no surprise there.
This story should be published in the local newspapers. Thank you.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Naomi and I were in a taxi in Las Vegas. The driver was from Iraq and he said very few nationals will work for the taxis in Las Vegas it is almost all immigrants because of how corrupt the union (he said mafia) is. Based on our experience I would say it is safe to say that the Taxi business is dirty every and Peñasco does not have the exclusive franchise on it. We still use taxis from time to time to get to the malecon etc, our fee is 30 pesos each each way. It's not perfect but it works for us. I will support the idea that the taxis are indeed run by a syndication made up of some very shady characters, I have had dealings with them for the past 11 years.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
And what does it cost in Phoenix to go a mile??
Uber doesn't work like that. They take account for time of day, day of the week, demand at that time, drivers working and how far you're going. Type of vehicle can be an added cost. The UberX, smallest 4 door sedan category, going 5 or 6 miles at low demand on like a Tuesday could be as low as $6. Now, you're not required to tip but you don't want to be an A-hole now do you? So you hook dude/dudet with $2 bucks... To go from Banditos to Cholla Bay in "states" prices it would be no more than $6 on the low and on high demand $11. Now obviously, the road is not paved and this isn't an apples to apples comparison but why does everything in Mexico have to be price gouging? Who can afford $20 one way cab rides for two or three days?