unfinished projects

Have not heard anything about Mexico pulling out the eminent domain on most of these projects, no one interested in buying them till the recovery.

Landshark

Yes....our exposed rebar and cracking on porch was pretty minimal,the walls were Built with 20 inch Performwall .Just used it out of caution.....is yours just in spots? You could just Seal it and put an overlay over it..Could consider a big fix ( cut out rusted Rebar and replace after chipping out concrete...yikes...then patch)or just enjoy the Miracle of nature reclaiming its territory.
Yes, just in spots. Some minor so far, others basically falling apart. We have done everything from minor patches to complete tear out & rebuilds, but haven't used a sealer to waterproof the areas. Sounds like that is the key to slow down the problem. Just recently our contractor talked about Drylok sealer. I assume you think Innerseal DPS is a better product??? He says they use Drylok when building water cisterns to seal them up. He is suggesting sealing our masonry/boveda domes prior to applying elastomeric.

jerry

Well it seemed to be a good product but I used it because I got it from a project leftovers...SOCOADA in Y Griega carries a mexican version.Sometimes their shit is way more industrial...Jorge 6371174087 speaks English and knows the products.

As for the Original question on the thread I think Robert is right.Why would you jump into a litigation swamp? Plus when the Homeport is finished and the ship is stuck in Port with everyone flushing the days buffet load of turds it might be smart to see which way those baby Ruth's are floating....toward the paddleboarders at Las Conchas or headed up to Chola Bay.........mmmm...clam digging anyone?

We have problems with rebar developing rust within the concrete & swelling causing the concrete to crack & split open. The beginning of the end. Seems like in your case the rust would have run down the rebar into the concrete over the years and create future failures. So your saying you sealed up the rebar & old concrete with Innerseal DPS to provent this? The theory being with an absence of moisture the rust process will permanently stop?
I have been chipping rusty rebar out of the concrete on my porch. The rebar in the concrete was completely decimated by rust and had turned to powder in many cases. The expanding rusty repair cracked and spalled the concrete and broke the edges off in some areas. The rust continued to eat the rebar deep into areas that were apparently solid from the outside. I see a lot of cracks in my parapet walls which I have been caulking but I suspect rusty rebar is the culprit. If your concrete is cracked or spalled from rusty rebar there is no fix other than hacking out the damaged areas and rebuilding , in my opinion. My parapet walls are next on my list to demo and rebuild.

Terry C

I seen the same thing on a drive way I had taken out and repoured. The rebar was rusted to the point of falling apart. It was installed 1/2 way into the pour too. The problem I think is they use # 3 rebar vs # 4 used here in the US.

jerry

There is a beach house at Santo Tomas done by a Caborca builder that used #3 rebar on the retaining walls and used it sparsly.....waiting for it to crumble....so far it looks ok though

Well it seemed to be a good product but I used it because I got it from a project leftovers...SOCOADA in Y Griega carries a mexican version.Sometimes their shit is way more industrial...Jorge 6371174087 speaks English and knows the products.

As for the Original question on the thread I think Robert is right.Why would you jump into a litigation swamp? Plus when the Homeport is finished and the ship is stuck in Port with everyone flushing the days buffet load of turds it might be smart to see which way those baby Ruth's are floating....toward the paddleboarders at Las Conchas or headed up to Chola Bay.........mmmm...clam digging anyone?
Never know, it may attract the elusive Cotez Caca Eating Croaker and start a whole new sport fishing bonanza right there at Sandy Beach!

Roberto

Not to hijack a thread, regarding the unfinished projects, here's my guess FWIW.

Fact is land ownership in Mexico is not like in the US. If there is a dispute, it can take many years to resolve, if ever. There are actually constitutional issues regarding land ownership. It's the main reason for the last revolution.

One project with which I have some familiarity is an example of the possibilities. There are several parties involved. 1. The land owner who holds a valid title to the property. 2. The developer who also might have investors. 3. The contractor who might not have been paid all he is owed. 4. A Mexican Bank which loaned money to the project. 5. Individuals who purchased in the project.
NOne of htese parties can do anything without the other's cooperation and agreement.

In a legal dispute it seems that each of the above has a legal interest in the project. If all agree the project could sell. But everyone will have to take a large loss. If they are all pissed off, which is prolly usual, war is waged. a Gordian knot of leins is filed.

One of the most active developers who was involved in several of the unfinised projects typically had several layers of involved parties. Often he had not one penny in the project yet paid himself well. With the promise of riches the land owner provided the land, with the promise of riches private investors forked over buckets of cash to the deveoper, with the promise of high profits the contractor pushed ahead of the income curve. With the promise of rapid increases in value, private buyers bid up prices. Then the bottom fell out. The developer is absent. Rumor is he has a home in Spain and one in Nicaragua.

I asked around about the possibility of the Gov. taking over but no one has ever heard of such an event in Mexico. Might be possible though. Guess if it became a real issue of public safety they might be able to move.

JimMcG

Not to hijack a thread, regarding the unfinished projects, here's my guess FWIW.

Fact is land ownership in Mexico is not like in the US. If there is a dispute, it can take many years to resolve, if ever. There are actually constitutional issues regarding land ownership. It's the main reason for the last revolution.

One project with which I have some familiarity is an example of the possibilities. There are several parties involved. 1. The land owner who holds a valid title to the property. 2. The developer who also might have investors. 3. The contractor who might not have been paid all he is owed. 4. A Mexican Bank which loaned money to the project. 5. Individuals who purchased in the project.
NOne of htese parties can do anything without the other's cooperation and agreement.

In a legal dispute it seems that each of the above has a legal interest in the project. If all agree the project could sell. But everyone will have to take a large loss. If they are all pissed off, which is prolly usual, war is waged. a Gordian knot of leins is filed.

One of the most active developers who was involved in several of the unfinised projects typically had several layers of involved parties. Often he had not one penny in the project yet paid himself well. With the promise of riches the land owner provided the land, with the promise of riches private investors forked over buckets of cash to the deveoper, with the promise of high profits the contractor pushed ahead of the income curve. With the promise of rapid increases in value, private buyers bid up prices. Then the bottom fell out. The developer is absent. Rumor is he has a home in Spain and one in Nicaragua.

I asked around about the possibility of the Gov. taking over but no one has ever heard of such an event in Mexico. Might be possible though. Guess if it became a real issue of public safety they might be able to move.
It doesn't happen often without the participation of some heavy hitters with connections and something to gain, but I have seen it happen in San Carlos, Sonora in the late 70s, early 80s where a project was in such a legal mess that the governor finally declared eminent domain and after a few years, finally resolved the issue, pretty much fairly to all parties of interest. Today it is one the more successful projects with a very high occupancy record.

I have also seen an eyesore, partially constructed beachfront highrise closeby, eventually torn down, thereby eliminating a prominent monument to failure.

It can be done by the right people if so desired.

Roberto

That's good to know Jim. I thought it should be possible. I like the 'if so desired' comment !! Thanks.

I seen the same thing on a drive way I had taken out and repoured. The rebar was rusted to the point of falling apart. It was installed 1/2 way into the pour too. The problem I think is they use # 3 rebar vs # 4 used here in the US.
FYI: I now believe that incredibly close inspection of the original work while it is being completed is essential. I found that part of the "pour" or thickness on my patio slimmed down to only two inches from the standard 4". When you put already rusty rebar in and it starts to expand in a two inch pour it will not last long.
On the other hand, in Scottsdale, I have had to demo concrete that was installed 100% by the book by very experienced crews. It just cracked in the middle of the floor for no reason. The concrete guys said sometimes no matter what this happens.

There is a beach house at Santo Tomas done by a Caborca builder that used #3 rebar on the retaining walls and used it sparsly.....waiting for it to crumble....so far it looks ok though
J: concrete and masonry is so bizarre. Sometimes all of the precautions and proper technique in the world don't help and then some guy builds with no proper usage of materials and the project lasts forever.

Landshark

We recently had a small retaining wall built and the rebar issue came up between the contractor and his lead guy on the job. The lead guy was mid 50's and said he had been doing it his entire life, said everybody tends to use too much rebar which leads to rust-related failure. Contractor wanted rebar everywhere, this guy argued to use it sparingly to provide strength and support only where needed. Lead guy won the battle, built the wall his way. It's basically on the dunes and has held up good so far. Wish he had been there when the porch railings were built. They are full of rebar including cross braces to provide spacing for the side forms. Of course the cross braces are flush with the edge of the railing and exposed when completed and have lead to major rusting and failure. Tearing them out and replacing them this spring using lead guy's method. Also will be using Drylok on everything built or repaired in the future. The neighbor used it on his pre-cast pillars when they were repaired and painted about the same time as ours were, by the same guy. His still look great and ours which didn't get Drylok are shot and need another repair. It's impossible to stop the damage from the sea breeze but hoping to slow it down. The maintenance is out of control...

Dirt, you need to buy the Germans house in Santo Tomas....lots of concrete adventure to be had...
J: I seem to glom on to projects like the one you are mentioning. Is it the White House with the large front porch?
After you read my book recommendation I want to hear what you think.