Until It's Gone

Bob Oso

I've always wondered what the impact would be to Puerto Penasco if the tourist stopped coming. Now, I guess I know. They had a segment on one of the morning shows today with images of how vacant it was. And a few interviews with local business owners on their thoughts. Neither seemed too encouraging. One thing that kind of surprised me was I always thought a lot of nationals from surrounding area's vacationed in P.P. as well, and it would help offset the lack of US visitors. Maybe it's different once it gets closer to the weekend. It's just been a little over three weeks since the border closing, and I think the realization of how significant US visitors are to their economy is finally settling in.

Just curious what everyone's opinion is on how you think the returning vacationers will be regarded by the locals once the border re-opens. Same ol' - same ol' .... happy to start earning an income again .... increase prices on tourist attractions and activities .... or just plain take the gringos for everything they can.

If you had a penny resting in the palm of your hand a Mexican can turn that penny into a dime right before your very eyes. That dime will also have come from your pocket without your knowledge.
Prices will rise they are digging a big hole atm. This includes American owned restaurants

Old55

No nationals are coming now because route is too dangerous.
This describes what is going on and why the immigrant flood came our way last month. 5 dead last night on the Santa Ana road .https://www.borderlandbeat.com/2023/12/alfas-deltas-split-from-chapitos.html

playaperro

El Pirata
No nationals are coming now because route is too dangerous.
This describes what is going on and why the immigrant flood came our way last month. 5 dead last night on the Santa Ana road .https://www.borderlandbeat.com/2023/12/alfas-deltas-split-from-chapitos.html
A family of five from Penasco driving at 11.30 at night.
They are taking donations to help bring them to Penasco.
Condolences to their families it must be a nightmare for them.

playaperro

El Pirata
I've always wondered what the impact would be to Puerto Penasco if the tourist stopped coming. Now, I guess I know. They had a segment on one of the morning shows today with images of how vacant it was. And a few interviews with local business owners on their thoughts. Neither seemed too encouraging. One thing that kind of surprised me was I always thought a lot of nationals from surrounding area's vacationed in P.P. as well, and it would help offset the lack of US visitors. Maybe it's different once it gets closer to the weekend. It's just been a little over three weeks since the border closing, and I think the realization of how significant US visitors are to their economy is finally settling in.

Just curious what everyone's opinion is on how you think the returning vacationers will be regarded by the locals once the border re-opens. Same ol' - same ol' .... happy to start earning an income again .... increase prices on tourist attractions and activities .... or just plain take the gringos for everything they can.
Tourists places are empty.

azdiva

There is also a good chance of a complete southern border shutdown, Similar to Gaza, Afghanistan, 1939 Poland, and British Hong Kong.
Refuges are pouring in seeking asylum with no stopping. Rail traffic in Eagle Pass has essentially seized, essentially creating a blockade.
Imports from Mexico are becoming strained ie. beer, liquor, auto parts, autos, electronics, furniture, and most important agriculture. The
Penasco situation is dire and won't be long until alot will capitulate and either walk away from the monthly expenses, and some will no doubt stay.
Although be prepared with any announcement of border closing in which American citizens will be extremely vetted and at the 11th hour a rush
to cross at any costs including leaving all belongings behind at the border line. Have an alternative travel plan in place air or sea is well advised. And
very important to remember, in Mexico... Mexican citizens come First!

playaperro

El Pirata
There is also a good chance of a complete southern border shutdown, Similar to Gaza, Afghanistan, 1939 Poland, and British Hong Kong.
Refuges are pouring in seeking asylum with no stopping. Rail traffic in Eagle Pass has essentially seized, essentially creating a blockade.
Imports from Mexico are becoming strained ie. beer, liquor, auto parts, autos, electronics, furniture, and most important agriculture. The
Penasco situation is dire and won't be long until alot will capitulate and either walk away from the monthly expenses, and some will no doubt stay.
Although be prepared with any announcement of border closing in which American citizens will be extremely vetted and at the 11th hour a rush
to cross at any costs including leaving all belongings behind at the border line. Have an alternative travel plan in place air or sea is well advised. And
Not good.

corndog

The covid shutdown was 4 months minimum with nobody allowed in (even home owners) and they survived that, border shut down is 16 days now, just not a big deal yet...

Last edited:

corndog

That's really a well thought out post.. really a possibilty.. The last mass exodus was from the end 2007 to the beginning of 2009..

Last edited:

audsley

I had assumed American tourism was at a seasonal low this time of year anyway so doubt it would hurt RP's economy that much. Tourist/vacation towns make hay while the sun shines and plan for slow periods in the calendar. If Lukeville is still closed by early March it should be pretty devastating.

However, I only know what goes on in RP when I choose to be there and in Puerto Lobos. That's March to end of June, then late September to mid-November. I spend Thanksgiving through end of February in Tucson, where tens of thousands of American snowbirds choose to be and for good reason.

Am I wrong? Maybe year round RP residents seem something different.

Old55

This will work out but in the meantime anyone crazy enough to drive on those pothole and cartel filled roads in a severe rain event Friday is a gambling man!

Bob Oso

This will work out but in the meantime anyone crazy enough to drive on those pothole and cartel filled roads in a severe rain event Friday is a gambling man!
Was talking with my neighbor the other day. Every year him and a group of his pals ( 55+ yrs old ) spend a week fishing in San Carlos. From Nogales to San Carlos, they were pulled over 8 times and ended up spending over $3500.00US in mordida fees. A couple of them were fluent in Spanish which helped keep them out of jail. Hopefully it does work out at some point.

Old55

Was talking with my neighbor the other day. Every year him and a group of his pals ( 55+ yrs old ) spend a week fishing in San Carlos. From Nogales to San Carlos, they were pulled over 8 times and ended up spending over $3500.00US in mordida fees. A couple of them were fluent in Spanish which helped keep them out of jail. Hopefully it does work out at some point.
Bob , ouch !
The amounts they are beginning the negotiation at have really increased. In Santa Ana on a Friday they say “ok we can go to the judge but not till Monday” They really are working over their countrymen headed home for the Hollidays ……resentment of their success I guess.

AZRob

I'm glad we went on vacation month before this can of worms they opened up.
When will it be normal again.

rplarry

I had assumed American tourism was at a seasonal low this time of year anyway so doubt it would hurt RP's economy that much. Tourist/vacation towns make hay while the sun shines and plan for slow periods in the calendar. If Lukeville is still closed by early March it should be pretty devastating.

However, I only know what goes on in RP when I choose to be there and in Puerto Lobos. That's March to end of June, then late September to mid-November. I spend Thanksgiving through end of February in Tucson, where tens of thousands of American snowbirds choose to be and for good reason.

Am I wrong? Maybe year round RP residents seem something different.
I agree with the economy and business being slower in December and January, as compared to say May, June or July.

However, in normal times with the border open, I would say business from Americans might be down 60% or so during these slower months. That would leave the locals “ surviving“ until the busier months. And they plan for the slower time periods.

But going to 40% off the highs of the spring and summer and taking it to almost 0%, that will be devastating

Another factor to consider is that the local Mexican population regularly spends money in the Penasco economy. As an example, take La Curva four instance. While they get a lot of American business., when we dine there, there are usually many Mexican families eating there as well. With the border closed and the economy getting completely crushed, the trickle down and ripple effect will cause Mexicans locally to not be able to spend as much money in the local economy as well.

A real double whammy. So tragic