US Auto Insurance

Jeff

Thinking about switching carriers. Found out 2 weekends ago that with Allstate, all you need to purchase is liability insurance. Does anyone else know a US company that will cover a vehicle 75 or so miles into Mexico?

S

Submarine

Liberty Mutual does and that's who I have. I think Farmers might too? I know American Family does not.

B

bahiatrader

If you want to limit yourself to going no further than Rocky Point for liability only, that's fine. I found it economical to purchase liability, comp and collision right in Rocky Point on an annual basis. Mexican insurance is cheaper if you purchase it in Mexico without the hassle of changing US companies or going through a US broker. I found it much more worry free and economical than any way I could purchase equal coverage in the US. I totaled a vehicle in Sonora, and everything was covered as stated in the policy. Payment was in US dollars, no hassle.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
21st Century does as well. I think it's a 65 mile limit. Probably cover you to Rocky Point, but I go further, so I buy an annual policy through Vagabundos. Hard to beat the coverage/price the Vags offer. Not to mention, trying to explain to El Jeffe that your US policy does cover you in Mexico in the event of an accident.

B

bahiatrader

They're an insurance company on the left side of Benito Juarez as you come from the US. They also have a Lukeville address and an email address. I didn't recieve a response from an email. There's usually someone there who can speak English. I really don't like to recommend the name of any business on the internet anyway. They even gave me a sticker to put in my windshield. It probably wouldn't hurt to check out some other agencies. They were recommended to me by a Rocky Point resident and they were the first and only one I tried. I've been getting insurance from them for seven or eight years. I hope that helps.

playaperro

El Pirata
I had Allstate and they do cover 60 miles south of the border, but they have restrictions, like if you wreck in order for them to pay out for damages both cars have to be covered
by allstate. I know if you shop around and get a price online the agent in Mexico will
Match it or beat the quote. I had luck with the Hartford and they don’t use agents I
Would feel a lot better getting full coverage from a local agent. I remember paying about $300.00 for the Year.

B

bahiatrader

Incidentally, the price I got in Rocky Point substanially beat anything I could find from Vagabondos. Likewise with any price I was able to get on line from San Carlos. A few more bucks for fuel and cervesa is always appreciated.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I have used Portugal for over 20 years for insurance on my Jeep as well as my trailer. I have never had to file a claim, knock on wood but have been happy with the price and the service.

S

Submarine

As I understand it, even though your US policy may cover you in Mexico you still need Mexican insurance. I'd rather not hassle with Mexican's at all if I need my truck repaired (search for RockyPtJoe's saga) so I have double coverage. I get an annual policy through Portugal for $80.