US insurance for once a month trip back to Tucson and back

Ken&Liz

We are moving down to PP in a couple of months. I have 3 vehicles. Already insured for Mexico with Portugal. My 2012 Buick Enclave is insured with Geico. They are going to charge me $960 a year for a monthly trip to Tucson and back. Anyone that can tell me a more reasonable way of insuring the car for that trip?

girlfran

We are moving down to PP in a couple of months. I have 3 vehicles. Already insured for Mexico with Portugal. My 2012 Buick Enclave is insured with Geico. They are going to charge me $960 a year for a monthly trip to Tucson and back. Anyone that can tell me a more reasonable way of insuring the car for that trip?
I would insure the vehicle with the least book value. I use liberty mutual with only legal liability and a little extra for uninsured driver and I pay $34 a month for my 2011. $60. for 6 months in Mexico Hope this helps.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I bought a 2 day policy at Portugal 2 weeks ago. I do not have any US vehicle insurance any longer. I notified AZ the vehicle would not e driven on public roads in AZ and I get to keep a current plate for Mexico. Also for infrequent trips like that, rent a car at Bufalo. About $50 a day covers everything but gas. Sell the Buick, buy a Jeep!!

mondone

Whitecaps
I bought a 2 day policy at Portugal 2 weeks ago. I do not have any US vehicle insurance any longer. I notified AZ the vehicle would not e driven on public roads in AZ and I get to keep a current plate for Mexico. Also for infrequent trips like that, rent a car at Bufalo. About $50 a day covers everything but gas. Sell the Buick, buy a Jeep!!
Do you get a waiver for the emissions test? I'm tired of driving my 88 Pathfinder back to Phoenix every 2 years to re-register when I leave it in Mexico year round.

richwi

Well Known Member
If you live full time in Penasco register your cars in South Dakota. Do a google search on South Dakota non-resident car registration. Cheaper than AZ, no emissions required, no proof of insurance required

Roberto

Well Known Member
No one ever said anything about emissions tests. change your address to the gas station at Lukeville and none required.

mondone

Whitecaps
No one ever said anything about emissions tests. change your address to the gas station at Lukeville and none required.
I do take it back to Phoenix occasionally to do repairs and maintenance on it as I do not live here on a regular basis yet. ADOT website showing some kind of a waiver for emissions test if the vehicle has not been in AZ for the last 3 months, but doesn't state how long the waiver is good for as far as I can see.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I have METRO MILE car insurance on my second car that I use as a commuter/daily driver. I couldn't afford to pay Geico $92/month for liability only when I only drive the car 3 or 4 days a week. I've owned the car 3 years and have only put 9,000 miles on it.

I heard about METRO MILE. It's pay per mile car insurance. They are out of San Francisco and in my opinion it's a better deal than anything else for a situation like this. My policy is better than Geico by far. I get $0 deductible auto glass which I didn't have previously and the monthly base rate is only like $28. $.04 a mile after that. Not to exceed 250 miles in one day so if you drive to California or something you're not paying for the entire trip. I do believe the base cost and cost per mile is related to your vehicle's value. My car is a 1999 Honda Civic 4 door sedan. The car is in really good condition aside from some bad clear coat fading. Paying Geico $92/month to insure a $2,000 car is moronic. I bought this car for the 35 miles to the gallon fuel economy and to cut cost. After switching to MM the most that I have paid thus far is $48. My lowest has been $36.

It might be an option for you. Perfect for an alternate vehicle that sits half of the week or more.

mondone

Whitecaps
I have METRO MILE car insurance on my second car that I use as a commuter/daily driver. I couldn't afford to pay Geico $92/month for liability only when I only drive the car 3 or 4 days a week. I've owned the car 3 years and have only put 9,000 miles on it.

I heard about METRO MILE. It's pay per mile car insurance. They are out of San Francisco and in my opinion it's a better deal than anything else for a situation like this. My policy is better than Geico by far. I get $0 deductible auto glass which I didn't have previously and the monthly base rate is only like $28. $.04 a mile after that. Not to exceed 250 miles in one day so if you drive to California or something you're not paying for the entire trip. I do believe the base cost and cost per mile is related to your vehicle's value. My car is a 1999 Honda Civic 4 door sedan. The car is in really good condition aside from some bad clear coat fading. Paying Geico $92/month to insure a $2,000 car is moronic. I bought this car for the 35 miles to the gallon fuel economy and to cut cost. After switching to MM the most that I have paid thus far is $48. My lowest has been $36.

It might be an option for you. Perfect for an alternate vehicle that sits half of the week or more.
Problem with them is if I don’t have a mortgage on my home they will not even consider insuring me

mondone

Whitecaps
Any idea what the logic is behind that?
No clue whatsoever. When I submitted info for an auto quote they responded " We are currently not issuing policies to individuals who currently do not carry a mortgage on their primary residence." My house is payed for. Beats me.