vacation info

don

Hi All!
Just a quick note regarding our vacation 5-16 thru the 24th. Had a minor mechanical problem on the way to RP on the 16th, which held us up for a night in Ajo.

We spent the night at the Copper Sands motel ($55.00) and we had two well behaved adult dogs and a 9 week old pup with us. No problem with the Mgrs. They run a nice place, clean room and they are open 24/7. We purchased vehicle insurance there for my wifes' car which our Daughter drove. They sell Mexican auto insurance 24/7!

The really nice thing was the ability of the Vern, the owner (tough, fit , 73, mechanical aptitude; he built a super 18 semi) to help with the repair by providing items needed for a temporary repair. The exhaust pipe just below the exhaust flange and burned completely through which caused the exhaust pipe to drop about an inch below manifold. So other than loud it was also blasting the rear a/c lines with hot exhaust, which would have destroyed high $ lines.
So, we arrived on Sunday about noon. Dropped the boat and gear off in Encanto, and headed into town to meet Sally/Happy at PDO, Stu and Pike at the Playa.
Meeting Sally/Happy and his Wife at PDO was enjoyable. One never knows how a first face to face meeting will go; especially when ones’ wife (mine) is along and she’s met only a few from the forum. Happy and his Wife treated us like family. Almost 2 hours flew by as we chatted about fishing, boats, forum, recipes, dining and trying to meet up for breakfast early Wednesday.
We went to the Playa to meet up with one very tired “Stu” and after several minutes we departed so he could collapse into bed. He and Connie fished long and hard for a couple of days. We attempted to drop in on Pike, but missed him while he was enjoying dinner.
Monday was a beautiful day, but I spent time finding a welding shop (Calle 13 and Cuarta on road to Sandy Beach) named Philchards(?). They did an excellent repair job, for a cheap price.
Found a great place for money /peso exchange, but ya’ gotta be there by 1:00 PM. There were offering 13.10 where banamex was offering 12.55. Banamex needed my passport for the exchange. This exchange (not Banamex) was located in the “mall” at the n/e corner of Sinola and Freemont.
Dinner at La Cuerva, beach time, spend a little time fishing due to winds, play with the pup and a great vacation except for getting sick from food in the states.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Despite it being short, it was good to finally meet you, Don. My wife and I also visited with Happy and his wife for a bit. You'd think a dogfight would have broken out, but exactly the opposite occurred. Happy and I chatted boats, lures, and fishing and the ladies hit it off well, too. They are both very nice people in person. Happy's internet persona I'll never understand, but I'd go fishing with him any day.

A

azbeachboy

I saw Happy last week also. He left a note on my trailer telling what space he was in. Happy Told me about meeting you guy's and how well it went. I have to admit I was surprised when he told Stuart came by. I've meet Happy before and he is nothing like his internet persona. He had nothing but good things to say about the the two of you!:fish:

don

Yeah Stu, you're right about sharing a fishin' day with Happy! He and his wife are always welcome aboard. Now, if his passport arrives soon, we can hook up for little inshore action.:boat:

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Despite it being short, it was good to finally meet you, Don. My wife and I also visited with Happy and his wife for a bit. You'd think a dogfight would have broken out, but exactly the opposite occurred. Happy and I chatted boats, lures, and fishing and the ladies hit it off well, too. They are both very nice people in person. Happy's internet persona I'll never understand, but I'd go fishing with him any day.
That's what everyone says about him. So weird.... Wish he'd learn to grow up online :)

You just might be a redneck if your fishing vessel is a................! That's so funny--right up there with the guy we saw probably about three years ago "cruising" around the Mirador area in his lazy-boy chair! I kid you not--it was a motorized recliner type chair big enough to seat two!