Verizon Cell Phone

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
All my buddies were on Verizon and phones were working in Penasco. Sprint never did, so I switched and now it doesn't work. Really wishing I hadn't bought that smart phone. Makes me feel, well, not smart? ATT Tmobile still working for you guys? It may be worth my time to fight them to let me out of my bait and switch, I mean cell phone contract. That's what I get for not going down often enough. At least I am going to Riviera Maya for work this week and they claim my phone will work there. Do I believe that?

TJ the surfcaster

Keep a loose drag and your rod tip up! And shuffle your feet!

D

DTPHX

Last I knew Verizon didn't work at all in RP, Did something change?

M

m4shawn

Verizon no bueno

Have had Verizon for many years and can confirm that it does not work past a half mile into Sonoyta; I was told by a Verizon customer service person that they have no tower in use there, and that is why.
I have heard through the grapevine from friends that their AT&T cell sevice does work, and I have personally borrowed a friend's AT&T phone and it did, in fact work fine making calls to the U.S from PP.

This is an old thread....but to update....ATT and TMobile work in Mexico. Verizon and Alltell DO NOT. Don't get suckered into the Verizon World Phone....it is GSM, but not the US/Mexico GSM frequencies. I was thinking of switching back to Verizon, but a friend has one, and he was down in RP this weekend....it didn't work. It works on the Europe/Asia frequencies of GSM

I have ATT and have been using it in RP for over 2 years. $4.95 a month and I'm not sure, but I think it is .59 cents per minute to AZ.

You can call ahead and add it to the phone for the time you will need it in RP.

For $4.95 a month I just leave it in place. Too much hastle to add and delete the service since we have been going to RP quite frequently.

Sunshine

I bought a Telcel phone for 22 bucks it's pay as you go. I also signed up on a deal which gives you 20 minutes to the states for 1.05 with no per minute charge.

My AT&T Blackberry works great...actually even better then in the US...both voice and data. The EDGE wireless internet is much faster in Mexico, I think cause of there is less people on it, thus more band with. I'm on the Mexico plan with AT&T...5 bucks a month and something like 60 cents a minute. Data is extra, something like .01 cents per kb...and 25-50 cents a text message.

For our house, we brought a unlocked GSM phone from Ebay...10 bucks. Went a Telcel store and brought a Sim card, 20 bucks. Have the Telcel person activate the Sim card in english...that way when you add minutes, the call in menu is in english.

Once activated, the Telcel sim card is good as long as you use it every 3 months. Minutes can be brought at any convenince store in blocks of 100, 200 and 300 minutes.

My AT&T Blackberry works great...actually even better then in the US...both voice and data. The EDGE wireless internet is much faster in Mexico, I think cause of there is less people on it, thus more band with. I'm on the Mexico plan with AT&T...5 bucks a month and something like 60 cents a minute. Data is extra, something like .01 cents per kb...and 25-50 cents a text message.

For our house, we brought a unlocked GSM phone from Ebay...10 bucks. Went a Telcel store and brought a Sim card, 20 bucks. Have the Telcel person activate the Sim card in english...that way when you add minutes, the call in menu is in english.

Once activated, the Telcel sim card is good as long as you use it every 3 months. Minutes can be brought at any convenince store in blocks of 100, 200 and 300 minutes.
It's in blocks of 100/200/300 PESOS.....not minutes. I use it (Amigo)...just went to the main Telcel store on Benito Juarez before I left and got the 1 peso per minute service (local)...you need to have been with Amigo for a year.

Does your Blackberry have wifi? If so, which model do you have? I'm ready to switch carriers (have ATT), but may stay with them if I find the right phone for the right $$

Does your Blackberry have wifi? If so, which model do you have? I'm ready to switch carriers (have ATT), but may stay with them if I find the right phone for the right $$
Yes it has wifi...its the Blackberry 8820 from AT&T. The wifi is almost worthless...look into the T-Mobile wifi. T-Mobile has free calls on its wifi...don't know that works in Mexico?

C

cactusamigo

Skype is the cheapest way to call home. You can't get any cheaper than free! Load Skype on your laptop, and have your family members/friends load it on their computers at home. Most motels, restaurants, cafes, etc. have free wifi.