Verizon in Mexico!

JimMcG

I just wanted to report back that our AT&T hotspot created through the iPhone worked acceptably well this last time down and didn't seem to use up too much data. Heads up to Terry for sharing the news.

ben21

And on the Verizon end, used the $2/day thing over New Years weekend. Data wasn't great, perhaps due to all the tourists, should knows. Still nice to just keep my phone on and not worry about any crazy charges when I get back.

We did turn on the feature before heading down, but another person in our group didn't. They were however prompted in Sonoyta with a text to opt in the $2 deal.

you can get mexico ,canada plan for free for 2 years and you get 1 gb data , 500 min talk, 500 text and it's free. Leigh From verizon. Thats per month

ben21

I like the peace and put phone in airplane mode. One of the pluses to cross the border.

Email via wifi is always available and Whatsap can be used to talk, and receive calls using wifi. All free (whatsAp is Facebook owned and is .99cents a Year. )

2 $ a day seems expensive at $60mo, $720 yr.
It's geared towards tourists like myself, not residents. They only charge you the $2 while you're connected to international towers. Once you're back in the states, it automatically stops.

gord

I just returned to Canada from a 2 month visit to Mexico...Puerto Penasco, Lake Chapala, Guadalajara and points in between. On the way down I picked up a T-Mobile SIM for my iPhone 5S and put it on the new (as of July 2015) plan that provides for free everything in Mexico, US and Canada. The cost was $50 per month prepaid and required no long term commitment. The bill was in fact $50...no extra taxes or fees. Free unlimited voice and texts, and 1GB LTE data and unlimited lower speed data after the first 1GB each month.

Service was very good, even in some dodgy remote areas in Mexico. Not absolutely everywhere of course, but service in places where I did not expect it. Coverage through Puerto Penasco, including the Princesa resort was excellent.

Coverage in Phoenix and most of the way up I15 towards Canada was good. Montana was probably the poorest coverage. For some reason my wife's iPhone with a Canadian Rogers SIM got "more bars" in parts of Montana.

It worked fine in Canada as well although I only used it for a day or so before reverting to my Rogers SIM and Canadian phone number once back in Calgary.

I would use T-Mobile again if repeating the trip. In fact if they could provide service on a Canadian phone number (area code) and take over my long time cell phone number I would switch to T-Mobile permanently.
Update: the T-Mobile Simple Choice NA plan ($50/mo) now includes 2GB of LTE (fast) data before dropping to unlimited slower speed.

mis2810

Update: the T-Mobile Simple Choice NA plan ($50/mo) now includes 2GB of LTE (fast) data before dropping to unlimited slower speed.
That's what I've been using since August. LOVE IT. Never had to think about the phone - everything is FREE. I actually get better phone service in Mexico than I do in some parts of Phoenix. Go figure.

I'm not a heavy cell phone user, but just wanted the assurance of having service if I needed it. I chose the Verizon International Monthly Plan:

100 voice minutes
100 text messages (unlimited received)
100 MB data
$15.00/month

I can use the RV park Wi-Fi for e-mail, etc...

We are having a problem with making calls and receiving calls,mostly from each other. Telcel has had some operating problems so that has dropped service to us, I think.
We will be going back into T-M office to see if there is a telephone problem or what the problem is.

We are having a problem with making calls and receiving calls,mostly from each other. Telcel has had some operating problems so that has dropped service to us, I think.
We will be going back into T-M office to see if there is a telephone problem or what the problem is.
Bill
We had the same problem with our T-Mobile service on Saturday the 2nd, roaming with Tel-cel, the service worked great for
the prior 4 days and then on Sat. when we were heading back to PHX, we weren't able to send texts or make phone calls.

It worked fine after we crossed the border. The texts we did send were received but our phones in Mexico
showed the message, "unable to connect to network, please try later".

We tried 3 different phones. so it was a problem with Tel-cel.
Next trip, I will choose Movistar for the provider when I go into Roaming mode.

My T-Mo phones have always worked great in RP using Movistar, but on busy weekends, it would sometimes
take a few tries to make calls because the networks were overwhelmed.

Desert Diva, If you have a 4g phone it is free at Verizon. All you have to do is call them and they will switch your phone. You get 500 min. calls ,500 text and 1gig data at no charge. Better than spending 15.00. Just thought you would like to know. I personally like the free part, so I can buy more cold Indio's. Leigh

Desert Diva, If you have a 4g phone it is free at Verizon. All you have to do is call them and they will switch your phone. You get 500 min. calls ,500 text and 1gig data at no charge. Better than spending 15.00. Just thought you would like to know. I personally like the free part, so I can buy more cold Indio's. Leigh
Leigh,

I'm sure I don't qualify for this as I don't even qualify for the $2.00/day plan. I have an "old" plan with 450 minutes talk, 250 text messages, and UNLIMITED data (which I'm not giving up).

Cortez2

I'm on ATT it works great in PP but thinking to change to Sprint has anyone had any experience with Sprint in Mexico?

Last edited:
I'm on ATT it works great in PP but thinking to change to Sprint has anyone had any experience with Sprint in Mexico?
I have Sprint and added the plan for free calls to and in Mexico to my regular plan, in January while in Mexico I couldn't get my phone to dial out so I am giving them a call for any instruction since we are going next week, After we get back I'll let you know how it went. Thank goodness my fiance added the Mexico plan to his Cricket phone, when my Sprint one didn't work his worked perfectly!