Visa questions

For those that "live" in RP what kind of visa do you get? We plan to be there a year or so but we frequently have to return to the states for work. Can we just do the FMM each time we leave and return?

Roberto

I would just stick with the FMM and not worry about it. Don't think you have to turn it in when you leave Mex. to visit the US. I don't know anyone that has ever been asked for a Mex visa unless you are working, have a business and need a Hacienda number or buy real estate.

What about the 6 month expiration? Do I need to turn it back in before that, go back north and come back down to "renew it"?

Roberto

As I understand it you are supposed to turn it in at expiration. Not sure about location, someone said it had to be retruned at the location it was purchased but ?? I guess you can just reapply for a new one when you turn in the expiring one. If you are going north close to the expiration date I would think you could just stop on the way up and cancel it, then simply apply for one when you come back down. None of this appears to be computerized, at least at Sonoyta and it seems they have no way to know much. You are only supposed to have one but a friend, for whatever reason, applied for and was issued an FMM while holding a valid FM2. Another person had an expired FM3 that was not cancelled but was issued an FMM.