Vote/comment on the top ten upscale restaurants

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
Funny how I've been down so many times, from camping on Sandy Beach, to invading a slab in Cholla, to bar hopping, and condo-ing, to many restaurants over the years, but never really ate at all the great places. Help me out by defining the upscale restaurants of the area. Of course we love the carts and stalls and all that...:veg:

DJ le gourmand

Let the foodie times roll!

Last edited:

tortuga

Not exactly sure what you mean by "upscale". but here are some of my favorite "eat inside" restaurants:

Coffee Haus
Both Ramon's
Sapporo
Flavio's
Las Olas
Mickey's
Aladinos
Pink Cadillac
Mare Blu Bistro

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I don't have 10 but I like
The old Ramon's
Fortune Express
Portofino's before it closed
Mary's
The rest are taco stands... Brissa's has the best papa sonora. Chon's has the best sonoran hot dog....I need to get out more.....

AZ ROB

The little house up the street from the Camel Toe has the best "Mexican Breakfeast"
Mar Blu on Sandy beach
Mickeys for the all you can eat pasta on Thursdays
Every place Russ took us on the Taco/Hotdog tour
Fuentes for the Mexican soup
BooBar for Shrimp Coctail

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
Pink Cadillac? Have to check it out..!

Upscale is usually sit-down, air conned, servers, tuxedos, etc okay, tux jackets are too old school!

Not exactly sure what you mean by "upscale". but here are some of my favorite "eat inside" restaurants:

Coffee Haus
Both Ramon's
Sapporo
Flavio's
Las Olas
Mickey's
Aladinos
Pink Cadillac
Mare Blu Bistro

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
:chef:We loved the food at BarDebby but sadly... a sign of the times. We have moved on to Mary's after getting to know Roxy. :coldone: Too bad the chef from BDebby didn't move over there.

Anyone know where Enrique landed after getting the sack from Sr. Amigos? Nice, nice guy. US educatedMexico - SEALS - Boyce 0309 017.jpg Would the lighting make them BluePoint oysters? lol

Last edited:
We had breakfast at Vina del Mar one day last summer (sorry, can't remember exactly which month it was) and were very pleasantly surprised. I think it is more along the lines of "upscale"....... Can't speak for anything other than breakfast, but it was good and the service was great as well!!!

Sorry, that is the name of the hotel............the name of the restaurant escapes me now, but I know someone can help me out???? (Maria something or something Maria???)

Yes, we had really great experiences with Maria Bonita's inside the Vina del Mar Hotel, did breakfast and afternoon drinks two different days. I love how secluded it feels, and the landscaping and tiling reminds me of old-school Mexico--or is it '50s Hollywood or Hotel Coronado I'm thinking of? Either way, you just kind of expect Cary Grant or Marilyn Monroe to be chilling by the pool. The ocean views are excellent, it's not very crowded and they've got a couple of parrots to keep the kids occupied!

Another great view--and very reliable, reasonably-priced food--is the restaurant inside Hotel Playa Bonita, Puesta del Sol, especially for breakfast. Heavy cloth table settings, classy waitstaff and a well-shaded patio 7 days a week. The weekend buffets are well worth the 8 or 10$ each, whatever it is, with FRESH tortillas made before your eyes, as well as a waffle and custom omelet bar, fresh fruit, etc. Again, the view, the view, the view. You may be able to find better and cheaper deals in town, but when I'm down there, I'd like the ocean and beach to be in the background as much as possible.

Last edited:

MIRAMAR

That's funny about your review of Maria Bonita. We went there this weekend because someone asked about Vina del Mar. We loved the Old Mexico feel around the pool, and had great ceviche tostados at Maria Bonita for $1.50, and no charge for the view! I would add Blue Marlin for best shrimp quesadillas, garlic shrimp and grilled fish tacos (along with excellent smoked Marlin if you like smoked fish). Mickeys, Flavios, and Coffee Haus get my vote, along with Casa del Capitan for best view.

Juantons menu.jpgEmpanada menu.jpgHacieda las Fuentes.jpgShrimppic.jpgJuantons pic.jpgFull.jpgEmpanada pic.jpgShrimp menu.jpgPoblano menu.jpgpink drink.jpgDessert menu.jpgMargaritas.jpgJhappy.jpgust came back yesterday afternoon. We had dinner Saturday night at Hacienda las Fuentes and the three of us (me, my daughter & son-in-law) agreeChimi cheesecake pic.jpg that it was hands down, THE best meal we've ever had in PP. We love some other local places and have great dining experiences (Portofino, CitroPoblano pic.jpgn...etc) but we've never enjoyed a meal like we had at Hacienda. The service was excellent and everything was delicious. I tried to upload these in order but I have a feeling it didn't work. Pics: Juanton menu pic, Juanton pic, Poblano menu pic, Poblano pic, Shrimp menu pic, Shrimp pic, Empanada menu pic, Empanada pic, Margaritas pic, Dessert menu pic, Fried ice cream pic, Chimi cheesecake pic, complimentary pink frothy shot drink pic, Alison & Brad pic (daughter & son in law) and finally me & daughter pic. Anyway.....we highly recommend Hacienda for a nice meal.

Fried ice cream pic.jpg

View attachment 2780View attachment 2779View attachment 2778View attachment 2777View attachment 2776View attachment 2775View attachment 2774View attachment 2773View attachment 2772View attachment 2771View attachment 2770View attachment 2769JView attachment 2768ust came back yesterday afternoon. We had dinner Saturday night at Hacienda las Fuentes and the three of us (me, my daughter & son-in-law) agreeView attachment 2767 that it was hands down, THE best meal we've ever had in PP. We love some other local places and have great dining experiences (Portofino, CitroView attachment 2766n...etc) but we've never enjoyed a meal like we had at Hacienda. The service was excellent and everything was delicious. I tried to upload these in order but I have a feeling it didn't work. Pics: Juanton menu pic, Juanton pic, Poblano menu pic, Poblano pic, Shrimp menu pic, Shrimp pic, Empanada menu pic, Empanada pic, Margaritas pic, Dessert menu pic, Fried ice cream pic, Chimi cheesecake pic, complimentary pink frothy shot drink pic, Alison & Brad pic (daughter & son in law) and finally me & daughter pic. Anyway.....we highly recommend Hacienda for a nice meal.

View attachment 2765
Thanks for the pics....but does anyone else think the dishes are a little "pricey"????

MIRAMAR

I do- especially for Mexico, but I love the atmosphere if it isn't too noisy (go earlier in the evening because it can get loud).

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
The smoked marlin was excellent and a huge portion (enough for two or three) only improvement would some saltine crackers. We dined on the patio.... Chatted with Homer, the owner (like Zimpzen), about wines and the fact that he is actually an oceanographer! He's got a great line on marlin.

That's funny about your review of Maria Bonita. We went there this weekend because someone asked about Vina del Mar. We loved the Old Mexico feel around the pool, and had great ceviche tostados at Maria Bonita for $1.50, and no charge for the view! I would add Blue Marlin for best shrimp quesadillas, garlic shrimp and grilled fish tacos (along with excellent smoked Marlin if you like smoked fish). Mickeys, Flavios, and Coffee Haus get my vote, along with Casa del Capitan for best view.

take Fremont (street where Red Cross/Black Dog are) towards Los Conchas, one block past the Pemex at Sinaloa (street to Capones and beach)

Last edited: