Vote for Best Seafood Place (3 Categories)

My wife & I bought a place in Peñasco in December, we've been coming down often, & we're slowly trying new places and compiling favorites for different food types (ex: Kaffee Haus for Breakfast, Brothers/Capones for Pizza, Lucas for Chicken, Brissas for Tacos, etc) but to be honest we haven't really heard about or stumbled into any "go to" places for seafood. Based of your recommendations, I'd appreciate seeing what the group thinks. In my mind, there would be 3 categories:

1) Best "Sit Down" Place (i.e. relatively formal, table service, 'taking the wife and kids out to dinner' type place)

2) Best Place "With a View" (i.e. on Malecon, Sandy Beach, etc- should have a view of the ocean and outdoor seating)

3) Best "Overall" (i.e. best food with no other considerations- could be a late night cart or fancy, just the food counts)

Thanks for your thoughts, the forum has always helped out big time, so I have faith it will come through again!

-Marty

Roberto

Mary's Cocteleria in the Malecon for 2 and 3. Not a huge menue but the food is always very fresh and tasty. It's the go to seafood place for locals. The Shrimp platter is huge, enough for 4 people.

It is interesting in that US folk seem to prefer seafood better than the locals. Maybe because fish was always easy to come by and relatively inexpensive for many families as they were either in the business or had family in the business. A lot of my mexican friends prefer beef any day.

TICO-T

Mare Blu on Sandy Beach! Next to Wrecked At The Reef. Mare Blu is great Italian and seafood. On the beach with view of the sunsets. Good wine list with Malbec' from Chile and Argentina.

tortuga

1. Mar Blu or Pane y Vino
2. The Lighthouse
3. Pane y Vino

Both Mar Blu and Pane y Vino are Italian restaurants but they have great seafood entrees. It's all in the sauce.

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
I myself would take casa capitan over any Americanized Italian joints only because I eat that stuff in Tucson, unlike my buddy Roberto looking for American Products (Steaks & Wine), I don't think you will will find Chari over at Aqui con Flavio!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
No, but you'll find me at Sr. Amigo's. They have filete con champignones just like the old Costa Brava... Yum, Yum!

TICO-T

"Americanized Italian joints" Mare Blue and Pane y Vino are owned by Mexicans with a Mexican chef, Mexican waiters, seafood from the Sea of Cortez, and the clientele is Mexican and USA tourists. The beer is Mexican and the wine is Mexican and also from South America. They speak Spanish! They are both in Mexico!
How is this place "Americanized"?

Pinky

"Americanized Italian joints" Mare Blue and Pane y Vino are owned by Mexicans with a Mexican chef, Mexican waiters, seafood from the Sea of Cortez, and the clientele is Mexican and USA tourists. The beer is Mexican and the wine is Mexican and also from South America. They speak Spanish! They are both in Mexico!
How is this place "Americanized"?
Pane y Vino is owned by an Italian who is also the chef.

Roberto

, unlike my buddy Roberto looking for American Products (Steaks & Wine), I don't think you will will find Chari over at Aqui con Flavio!
Hey, hey , hey. Bite a bone dog! Only Mexican or Argentenian wine and Sonoran beef pass these lips. I ate at what was represented as Tucson's finest Italian joint a bit ago and the food was mediocre at best. I'll take Pane Y Vino any day.

Encanto

Great topic:

1. I have too many rowdy teenagers to go to a higher end sit down restaurant, they get bored and annoying.

2. Places with a view - We love Mary's. Just a great setting, not fancy, but we just love to sit outside in the breeze. Great platters. Great Salsa. We also like the little restaurant that is attached to one of the fish market stalls. You walk through the stall to a little patio they constructed. You can have lunch with the Pelicans.

3. Overall - just a quick favorite. I really like the Ajo Shrimp at Manny's; get an order of Guac and a few beers. Still love Manny's. Sit outside and enjoy the beach, or catch a game or fight on TV.

My wife & I bought a place in Peñasco in December, we've been coming down often, & we're slowly trying new places and compiling favorites for different food types (ex: Kaffee Haus for Breakfast, Brothers/Capones for Pizza, Lucas for Chicken, Brissas for Tacos, etc) but to be honest we haven't really heard about or stumbled into any "go to" places for seafood. Based of your recommendations, I'd appreciate seeing what the group thinks. In my mind, there would be 3 categories:

1) Best "Sit Down" Place (i.e. relatively formal, table service, 'taking the wife and kids out to dinner' type place)

2) Best Place "With a View" (i.e. on Malecon, Sandy Beach, etc- should have a view of the ocean and outdoor seating)

3) Best "Overall" (i.e. best food with no other considerations- could be a late night cart or fancy, just the food counts)

Thanks for your thoughts, the forum has always helped out big time, so I have faith it will come through again!

-Marty

audsley

Roberto, which of Tucson's purportedly finest Italian joints did you patronize, if you don't mind naming names?

audsley

I've never eaten at Giuseppe's, nor have I heard anything about it. Milano's in downtown Tucson gets rave reviews from everyone, but I've never eaten there either. Gavi's was in a class by itself when the three locations first opened about 10 years ago, but the owner sold them all and then 2 of the locations closed and the third one at Sunrise & Kolb has deteriorated. Amereno's on Grant closed. This town used to have great Italian food, but it's gotten harder to find. I've been wishing for great but settling for decent.

When visiting Rocky Point, I'm a total locavore and except for La Curva do not seek out the types of restaurants that can be found in the US. Part of the Rocky Point experience is getting food you don't normally find around home. Of course, if I lived there it would be different.

Maybe a reason for the demise of good Italian restaurants in Tucson has some connection to the aging and passing of witness protection members over the years.

audsley

Interesting theory, but I'm afraid the demise of quality, independently owned restaurants owes more to peoples' acceptance of chains and franchises these days. It's harder for places like El Parador (Mexican) and Amereno's to make it in a town that's filling up with Chile's and Olive Gardens. People from out of town seem to prefer low risk to adventure, and many aren't picky about their cuisine in the first place as long as it's fast and safe.

rplarry

-Marty

Mare Blue on Sandy Beach. White linens, decent service, nice menu, nicely prepared fish and seafood. Can't beat the view either.

Casa del Captian. The highest point in Penasco and with an almost 270 degree view. Their food years back was average but they have really stepped things up in the past year or so and the food is excellent. Without a doubt, "place with best view".

This might be shocking, but the hands down best fish meal I have every had in Penasco is the blackened Grouper and linguine con marinara at Capone's. I know they are known for their pizza and beer, but that grouper dish is one of the best dishes we have ever had (including in the US)

A close second though is the Flounder Vericruzano from La Curva. Or, just grilled flounder is excellent. The LaCurva shrimp dishes are always good too. Not a fancy place, zero view, but great seafood IMO!

Hello everyone,
I respect everyone's opinion, but this time I have to clarify something, my name is Luca Appendino and I am the owner and chef of Pane e Vino, I'm not mexican... I am italian, born in Turin and raised in San Remo. And yes, you are right my staff are all mexican, and we have a wine list that includes mexican, chilean and italian wines. I am the only one that speaks italian, but the rest of my team speaks spanish and english.

Please accept my regards,
Luca Appendino

Luca Appendino

GV Jack

Snorin God
Hi Chef Luca...Thanks for your comments. I have been to and enjoyed your restaurant a number of times.

The service and the food are outstanding and I will continue to visit every chance I get.

El Gato

Hello everyone,
I respect everyone's opinion, but this time I have to clarify something, my name is Luca Appendino and I am the owner and chef of Pane e Vino, I'm not mexican... I am italian, born in Turin and raised in San Remo. And yes, you are right my staff are all mexican, and we have a wine list that includes mexican, chilean and italian wines. I am the only one that speaks italian, but the rest of my team speaks spanish and english.

Please accept my regards,
Luca Appendino

Luca Appendino
His food is wonderful - he fully deserves the name 'Chef Cordon Bleu'. He served a fantastic brunch at the Azul Bar on Mother's Day for $7!!!! Everyone was raving about it - and eating until we couldn't move. My DH, who is not a fan of buffets, ate more then I've ever seen him eat and sent me back for seconds for him. He fell in love with the seafood cannelloni and pork chops in gravy. Couldn't beat the shrimp and I have to confess I probably ate more then my fair share. The beef fajita is still making my mouth water as are the meatballs and potato salad. And can't forget the fab cheese cake. And that was only a part of what was offered - including a Mimosa to start things off.

Of course now everyone wants more of his buffets at the Azul Bar. Once he did a Roast Pork dinner at the Azul Bar that we still dream about! Need that again Luca. And I'll put in a bid for doroto shredded beef tacos :)

flicks

We went there with a group for New Year's Eve dinner. It was absolutely the best Italian dinner. The staff was wonderful & so was the wine! Can't wait to go back.:D