Wanted good used transportation

az-dan

Looking for a good use vehicle registered in Mexico in the $2000us - $3000us range. Does anyone have a link to used vehicles in Puerto Penasco or the surrounding cities?

Roberto

Be aware that there are two types of registrations and be sure which one is best for your purposes. A 'National' car can be driven anywhere in Mexico at any time, the other type "Frontera" has restrictions on use outside of the free zone. There is a guy that lives just off Benito Juarez and parks several cars for sale about across from the high school, near the car wash on that side of the street. Bought from him some years ago and it worked out OK. Half the cars in Penasco seem to be for sale as well !!

Last edited:

az-dan

How do you know the difference is it on the title? I have a Ford Explorer worth about $3,000 AZ titled and was told it would cost +$1,000 to import it.

Roberto

A national car has a title the other category "Frontera" comes ony with a Factura as I recall. You can import cars in either of the two categories and there are restrictions on the age of the vehicle. A friend imported a a VW a year or so ago and it cost him well over $1,500 all said and done, not to mention major brain damage. I had all this figured out some time ago when I wanted to import a Jeep I had here, but cannot recall the exact details and can't find the refrences to the relevant regulations. I'm looking though. I would contact one of the importers or stop at one of their offices right on the Mex. side of the border at Sonoita and inquire to them.

The other question relevant to this discussion is, who can own a vehicle in Mexico? Must you have a particular immigration status to register a vehicle in your name ? I believe Russ has a Mex registered vehicle so he should know. There are some interesting interrelationships between immigration status and vehicle ownership here. For example, of you have the new Immigrado status you must import and register your vehicle in Mexico. If caught driving it unimported you have big problem. Odd, but true. In a similar vein Mexicans are restricted in driving a US registered vehicle.

playaperro

El Pirata
Licence Plate, i would not buy an imported car it more than likely had a salvage title, I know quite few people doing this, buying salvage cars at auction. Don't buy mex auto without plate.

Roberto

As I understand it, a National car can be driven and kept anywhere in Mexico at any time. A Fronteria registered vehicle can be out of the frontier or free zone a specified number of days a year. There is a permitting process that you have to go through when you take the vehicle out of the frontier as they keep track of the number of days that way. Caught with no permit you lose the vehicle. Years back they moved the office to Caborca and we came back from Kino after closing time and had to drive back to Caborca the next day to check in the permit, a real PITA.

az-dan

"In a similar vein Mexicans are restricted in driving a US registered vehicle."

So a Mexican National can not drive a car that is has current US title and plates even if it is titled in thier name?

I was informed by my Mexican ins. co . Seguro your driver's licencse and plates on car must be the same, US or Mexican, Mexico's law.
l

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I am not sure of all of the "ins and outs" as it relates to anyone elses experience on the import- export rules but my situation is this.

I hold an FM2 immigration status. I have a Mexican drivers license. I was forced to import my cars because since I live here permanently and do not have a residence in the USA I had to answer "NO" on a questionnaire sent by my then insurance company asking if my cars were still garaged at the address on file (In Northern AZ). As soon as they got that back, they cancelled my insurance that I had had for 32 years. As soon as they cancelled I was notified by ADOT that my cars were no longer registered in Arizona, my tags were cancelled. So I hired a broker at Sonoita "Grupo Aduanal Ibarrola Elias" and Rafael López Bojorquez handled the whole deal for me. I took less than 3 hours at the border. Heres the important kicker on the whole import thing. You must take your AZ title into the customs office on the USA side and have it stamped "EXPORTED TO MEXICO" other wise you are known as a export violator. My Van has "Frontera Plates" so I am limited to driving as far as Caborca to the east but I can drive all of Baja California and the USA and Canada. I cannot obtain a stamp to go deeper into Mexico with my van as it is a 15 passenger van and would be considered a people mover in competition with other registered buses. However for my wifes car a small Jeep Liberty we can obtain a stamp which allows us for a period of one year to drive though the whole country of Mexico. Her car also has "Frontera Plates".
In the above comment it is also important to note that you must have a Sonoran drivers license if you plan to drive your Sonoran plated car to the USA. I imported both cars under my license and on one trip my wife drove her car to the USA and was pulled into secondary for almost an hour because she only had a USA drivers license. Once it was established that it was an oversight and the fact that her name was on the USA Title for the jeep they let her pass but informed her that it was illegal for her to drive that car with her license. So she now has a Sonoran Drivers License too.
My neighbor (a Mexican National) was given a car from a good hearted person from Arizona. It had current registration on it for Arizona and the plates had the right stamp on them. As long as he drove around town he was fine but one day he was on the highway going to the parts yard North of town. He was pulled over by Mexican Federal Police and because he did not have an Arizona Drivers License to match the Arizona plated car, the car was impounded until he came up with the money to properly import the car and plate it in Sonora. He has his car and it cost him a few pesos but now he is legal.
I have many friends who live here full time but still drive USA plated cars. The time will come that they will be questioned about this as they enter Mexico from the USA. They have started scanning cars and drivers licenses on entry to Mexico on the USA side. Right now it is a random occurrence but dont kid yourself that the USA doesnt know everytime you cross in and out of Mexico. Full time residents will probably be forced to export their car into Mexico if the Customs folks decide to implement the law regarding residency and where the car is plated. Because these friends are American citizens and white they are given a lot of leeway right now but it may change. Ok I am tired now typing this much with one finger is a workout, I hope the information given helps, feel free to ask me if you have any questions. On edit Not all the cars that are sold here are salvaged Titles there are many many fine vehicles available!

az-dan

Thanks Russ great information. I am trying to help a friend who is a Mexican national get a better car. Where can you find cars for sale do you have to go to Nogales or Hermosillo? I tried Craigslist but was very limited.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Thanks Russ great information. I am trying to help a friend who is a Mexican national get a better car. Where can you find cars for sale do you have to go to Nogales or Hermosillo? I tried Craigslist but was very limited.
On Saturdays and Sundays on both Josepha Dominguez and Samuel Ocaña blvds there are always used cars for sale. I have also seen them at the train track crossing on Benito Juarez. Ask to see the whole title package. If the car came from the USA and was imported the Title and registration from the USA side will show if it is a rebuilt or salvaged car. You can negotiate down on the price pretty good so dont be scared to deal. Sometimes it helps to have the whole deal done by your Mexican friend without you being there until the very end.

I am not sure of all of the "ins and outs" as it relates to anyone elses experience on the import- export rules but my situation is this.

I hold an FM2 immigration status. I have a Mexican drivers license. I was forced to import my cars because since I live here permanently and do not have a residence in the USA I had to answer "NO" on a questionnaire sent by my then insurance company asking if my cars were still garaged at the address on file (In Northern AZ). As soon as they got that back, they cancelled my insurance that I had had for 32 years. As soon as they cancelled I was notified by ADOT that my cars were no longer registered in Arizona, my tags were cancelled. So I hired a broker at Sonoita "Grupo Aduanal Ibarrola Elias" and Rafael López Bojorquez handled the whole deal for me. I took less than 3 hours at the border. Heres the important kicker on the whole import thing. You must take your AZ title into the customs office on the USA side and have it stamped "EXPORTED TO MEXICO" other wise you are known as a export violator. My Van has "Frontera Plates" so I am limited to driving as far as Caborca to the east but I can drive all of Baja California and the USA and Canada. I cannot obtain a stamp to go deeper into Mexico with my van as it is a 15 passenger van and would be considered a people mover in competition with other registered buses. However for my wifes car a small Jeep Liberty we can obtain a stamp which allows us for a period of one year to drive though the whole country of Mexico. Her car also has "Frontera Plates".
In the above comment it is also important to note that you must have a Sonoran drivers license if you plan to drive your Sonoran plated car to the USA. I imported both cars under my license and on one trip my wife drove her car to the USA and was pulled into secondary for almost an hour because she only had a USA drivers license. Once it was established that it was an oversight and the fact that her name was on the USA Title for the jeep they let her pass but informed her that it was illegal for her to drive that car with her license. So she now has a Sonoran Drivers License too.
My neighbor (a Mexican National) was given a car from a good hearted person from Arizona. It had current registration on it for Arizona and the plates had the right stamp on them. As long as he drove around town he was fine but one day he was on the highway going to the parts yard North of town. He was pulled over by Mexican Federal Police and because he did not have an Arizona Drivers License to match the Arizona plated car, the car was impounded until he came up with the money to properly import the car and plate it in Sonora. He has his car and it cost him a few pesos but now he is legal.
I have many friends who live here full time but still drive USA plated cars. The time will come that they will be questioned about this as they enter Mexico from the USA. They have started scanning cars and drivers licenses on entry to Mexico on the USA side. Right now it is a random occurrence but dont kid yourself that the USA doesnt know everytime you cross in and out of Mexico. Full time residents will probably be forced to export their car into Mexico if the Customs folks decide to implement the law regarding residency and where the car is plated. Because these friends are American citizens and white they are given a lot of leeway right now but it may change. Ok I am tired now typing this much with one finger is a workout, I hope the information given helps, feel free to ask me if you have any questions. On edit Not all the cars that are sold here are salvaged Titles there are many many fine vehicles available!
Things got WAY off topic, and the above is quite a convoluted post, difficult to follow and understand. Hopefully, the following is a clarification of Americans owning foreign registered vehicles in Mexico, and Mexican Nationals driving foreign registered vehicles in Mexico:

1. A US citizen living in Rocky Point can de-insure their AZ registered vehicle, and maintain their AZ registration by filing the appropriate de-insured form with AZDOT. The vehicle cannot be driven in AZ under the de-insured status without first obtaining AZ liability insurance from an AZ licensed insurer.

2. A Mexican citizen cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle in Mexico unless:

A. The registered owner of the vehicle is present in the vehicle.

or:

B. The Mexican National is also listed on the title as a co-owner of the vehicle.

A driver's license is separate from a vehicle registration, so, there is no such thing as a "driver's license matching a vehicle registration".

The restriction on Mexican Nationals driving foreign owned vehicles is a national law that applies throughout Mexico, including inside of towns and cities. If it is not enforced inside of Rocky Point, it is only at the discretion of the local authorities. The law IS enforceable inside of Rocky Point by any law enforcement authority.

This law can be enforced by any police agency, but it is usually enforced only by Hacienda at their highway checkpoints. Violation means immediate confiscation of the motor vehicle. Hacienda will usually provide the "courtesy" of transportating the passengers of the vehicle to their intended destination. However, the vehicle will be lost, and the fine to recover the vehicle is three times the value of the vehicle, as determined by Hacienda.

I recite the above as a recent factual experience of a Mexican relative. She lives in the US under Permanent Resident status. She was driving her boyfriend's car, without him, in Mexico. She was not on the title of the car, and lost the car at a Hacienda checkpoint. Her boyfriend, the registered owner of the vehicle, went to Mexico, but was unsuccessful in recovering his car, testifying that his car was not stolen.

The law is intended to apprehend Mexicans from driving stolen vehicles in Mexico. But, in this case, it is obvious that the law is being abused as a corrupt means to confiscate legitimate vehicles. The owner, even after presenting himself to testify that his vehicle was not stolen, was not able to recover his own vehicle. Involuntary confiscation. Be careful, it is soon coming here if we do not change things in November!

AZ ROB

So to get this correct If the vechicle is titled with both the American who purchases the vechicle and drives it to Penasco. and the Mexican National who will be driving the vechicle the vechicle will not be impounded if the Mexican National is driving the vechicle with out the American counterpart. All this being said we are assuming that the vechicle in question will retain the Arizona registration and plates.

az-dan

So to get this correct If the vechicle is titled with both the American who purchases the vechicle and drives it to Penasco. and the Mexican National who will be driving the vechicle the vechicle will not be impounded if the Mexican National is driving the vechicle with out the American counterpart. All this being said we are assuming that the vechicle in question will retain the Arizona registration and plates.
That was exactly my question earlier:

"In a similar vein Mexicans are restricted in driving a US registered vehicle."

So a Mexican National can not drive a car that is has current US title and plates even if it is titled in their name?

That is correct. My wife is a Mexican National with US permanent resident status. She is included on the AZ titles of our vehicles. She frequently drives these vehicles alone to Hermosillo. Hacienda has a checkpoint at El Oasis, just north of Hermosillo. She never has a problem at this checkpoint. However, her sister was not so fortunate, and had her boyfriend's car confiscated at this checkpoint while on her way to Hermosillo, with passengers in the car, including one of her minor children. This is a technicality in Mexican law, with serious consequences for Mexican Nationals.

jerry

Stewart this is an example of right wingers putting Us politics in the forum.This time it is Cactus Amigo using a sock puppet. in real life he drives around Penasco with a Too young Mexican wife and an open beer while trashing Mexicans and central Americans forced to cross the border to make a buck...on the other hand he always has good info and should not be banned for occasionally threatening to shoot his forum brothers
Things got WAY off topic, and the above is quite a convoluted post, difficult to follow and understand. Hopefully, the following is a clarification of Americans owning foreign registered vehicles in Mexico, and Mexican Nationals driving foreign registered vehicles in Mexico:

1. A US citizen living in Rocky Point can de-insure their AZ registered vehicle, and maintain their AZ registration by filing the appropriate de-insured form with AZDOT. The vehicle cannot be driven in AZ under the de-insured status without first obtaining AZ liability insurance from an AZ licensed insurer.

2. A Mexican citizen cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle in Mexico unless:

A. The registered owner of the vehicle is present in the vehicle.

or:

B. The Mexican National is also listed on the title as a co-owner of the vehicle.

A driver's license is separate from a vehicle registration, so, there is no such thing as a "driver's license matching a vehicle registration".

The restriction on Mexican Nationals driving foreign owned vehicles is a national law that applies throughout Mexico, including inside of towns and cities. If it is not enforced inside of Rocky Point, it is only at the discretion of the local authorities. The law IS enforceable inside of Rocky Point by any law enforcement authority.

This law can be enforced by any police agency, but it is usually enforced only by Hacienda at their highway checkpoints. Violation means immediate confiscation of the motor vehicle. Hacienda will usually provide the "courtesy" of transportating the passengers of the vehicle to their intended destination. However, the vehicle will be lost, and the fine to recover the vehicle is three times the value of the vehicle, as determined by Hacienda.

I recite the above as a recent factual experience of a Mexican relative. She lives in the US under Permanent Resident status. She was driving her boyfriend's car, without him, in Mexico. She was not on the title of the car, and lost the car at a Hacienda checkpoint. Her boyfriend, the registered owner of the vehicle, went to Mexico, but was unsuccessful in recovering his car, testifying that his car was not stolen.

The law is intended to apprehend Mexicans from driving stolen vehicles in Mexico. But, in this case, it is obvious that the law is being abused as a corrupt means to confiscate legitimate vehicles. The owner, even after presenting himself to testify that his vehicle was not stolen, was not able to recover his own vehicle. Involuntary confiscation. Be careful, it is soon coming here if we do not change things in November!

jerry

I've been stopped in Caborca many times with my Mexican buddy driving my truck and they always ask why I am not driving.He tells them I am mentally I'll...I make a crazy face...they nod and on we go