Water is Perfect!

MIRAMAR

We were down this weekend and the water temp is perfect. There are a lot of cannonball jellies and crabs -more than I've seen in years. We saw one ray.

Last edited:
the cannonball jellies are harmless to humans correct? I know they can emit a toxin which is harmful to the eyes but...

I hear you can get a mild sting from contact with the tentacles. I have picked them up by the bell without problem.
We saw 'hundreds' floating E to W yesterday from Playa Encanto. Have seen numerous dead ones on the beach in the last few days as well. Wonder what is killing them and the turtles?

MIRAMAR

They were as afraid of me as I was of them. They are really cool to see how they move- there's an inner expulsion system and they move pretty fast.

As quick as those jellyfish came in, they just as quickly disappeared. From hundreds littering the beach on Saturday to nary a one today.

We quit counting at fifty a few weeks ago on the beach between Santo Tomas and El Desemboque.

Two were rare Leather Back Sea Turtles.

All shameful by-catch from cruel "modern day" commercial fishing techniques.

I don't know how any animal can take that kind of pressure on the breeding adults.

JJ

JJ, you running a fever?
That was a very sensitive comment, you old softy. Hehe
Great to hear about the water, terrible to hear about the turtles.
When we head out to the oyster camps and head to the dunes etc. over there we always find at least a few Dead ones. same thing when we take the run out to Laguna shores there are always a few dead turtles.
Doesn't matter the time of year.
One more day, can't wait to commune with the water.

Well Hill..........

I didn't want to admit it but one of the big Olive Ridleys that we found that day was probably just a few hours muerto with fresh blood seeping from it's just pecked out butt-hole by the local Zopilote clean up crew.

I had my trusty Rapala fillet knife handy so I carefully carved out two nice steaks from the holes where the rear flippers fit, about a pound each. I put em on ice and we had turtle on the Ironwood fired barbie that night! Talk about a succulent decadent bloody red treat.

I used to do the same thing when I found just hit Desert Tortoises on the road. They were road kill anyways so why not share with the Turkey Buzzards?

Let me make a comment about the Man of War jellies. Just because you don't see the whole animal does not mean that thousands of itty-bitty fragments of their almost invisible stinging tentacles aren't being churned up in the surf. They don't just sting, they cling. When a kid comes screaming out of the water in pain that borders on the worst on earth it will most likely be Senior Man of War and will put an instant damper on your fun in the sun event. Just ask any of the off shore fishing guys about them. I can't tell you how many times I've reeled in a trolled line when a tiny clear noodle clinging to the mono hits the tip of my rod then slaps me on the chest. That my friend will wake you up FAST. I like most carry a squirt bottle of ammonia that will quickly deactivate the venom.

No, I do not have a fever...yet, as we are having beer battered deep fried in coconut oil Sea Scallops for chow in about an hour that may have been feeding on the Red Tide events of last month.

JJ