Water shortage

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
We have city water and city water pressure, we also have 2 500 gallon reserves that can be pumped when needed, we never have a water problem.

Even with city water, I would consider leaving the onsite water tank in the water supply circuit in order to ensure a back up supply when the city water is shut down. The pump would only have to be turned on when the city water is not working, but the reserve water would still have to be used and replenished to keep it fresh and usable when needed.
+1 on doing that, whenever water finally comes to the area in Cholla where I am.
Most of my local friends have 1-2, 1200L tanks filled with water at their houses for use when the city water supply is off.

Roberto

I would be concerned about anunused pump seizing up with the corrosive water we have. Would proly want to run it a bit periodically.

Thx good advice.
I used to use the 1.5hp pumps with a 20 gallon tank and they did seize up after 2 to 3 years. Now I'm using a flojet 110volt 3.5gpm pump with a tank , it will run dry for days if you let it and still be fine.

There is a solar powered de-salination set up on my beach that feeds two houses. This de-sal project is small but keeps a large tank full that adequately supplies the houses. It turns on when the float drops to a certain level.
I am not sure what they do with the discharge. Most de-sal plants pump the discharge back into the ocean which seems like a terrible thing to do.

Politically, fresh water resources are becoming huge and war worthy issues in many places.

JimMcG

I would be interested in a link which would convince me that any currently available home desalination systems are feasible on a cost effective basis, after considering acquisition, install, maintenance, operational and repair costs.
This is not to say that I don't see a bright future for such systems when costs come down.

Landshark

Most de-sal plants pump the discharge back into the ocean which seems like a terrible thing to do.
At first my reaction to this was to agree completely. In general terms dumping anything into the sea is a bad thing. Then after thinking about it I'm not so sure in this case. Correct me if I'm wrong but here's the way I see the desal process working. You pump say 200 gallons of sea water from the supply well, and after being filtered by the desal 100 gallons goes to your storage tank and the other 100 gallons with double salinity goes into the return well and back to the sea. Now you use the water in your storage tank for showers, toilets, etc. and the waste water goes into the septic tank that is in your yard about 100 feet from the high tide line. The septic tank overflows waste water into the leach lines and the water drains down through the sand and back into the sea. At the end of the day I don't see how anything changes in the sea's salinity level. The real culprit seems to be the septic tank but that's a completely separate issue.

playaperro

El Pirata

• OCEAN FRONT

Playa Encanto, East Beach - Beautiful Beachfront home in Playa Encanto. Perfect for entertaining, enjoy and relax. This 4 Bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, comes fully furnished complete turnkey ready for your use. Amazing sunrise and sunset views over the sea of Cortez. Enjoy the fire place on a cooler night, have your favorite drink on your Margarita deck. This beatiful custom decorated home provides you the perfect environment to enjoy and share wonderful moments with your family and friends.

Special features:

50Kw Stand By Generator / Auto Transfer
    90 Gal Per Hour Fresh water/ Desalination Plant
    1 Ton Mini Split A/C in the Great Room
    ¾ Ton Mini Split A/C in all other Bedrooms
    Guest Bedroom ¾ Ton Mini Slit Heat Pump
    4 Ton A/C Condenser Ground Mount / with roof Evaporator – Great Room and
    one guest Bedroom.
    3 Ton A/C Condenser Ground Mount / with roof Evaporator – 3 remaining
    bedrooms.
    40k Btu Furnace – Great Room and one guest Bedroom /w Thermostat.
    40k Btu Furnace – Remaining 3 Bedrooms /w Thermostat.
    Whole House U/V Domestic water purification.
    Florescent Lighting Garage.
    Electric Back up – Outback 8k Peak Watt Solar (2 4200 Watt Peak) Inverters.
    16 Solar Panels
    Two way electric metering / with Sell back capability to CFE Grid.
    36 Deep Cell, Glass Mat, No Maintenance 6v Storage Batteries.
    Electric controlled irrigation System.

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Wreck you septic tank would be a worry...kill plants too....
Jerry, this is what we are installing on any beach properties,
up north of Penasco, because we are in a reserve.. You can water you plants and trees with the water out of the septic and the lodo as they call it, gets cleaned out once a year..They are sold in RP, but I saw the smaller one at Home Depot in Mexicali for under 6000 pesos....What is returned to the sea from a small desal unit, isnt much of a problem, but a bigger unit, especially where we are is a problem, we dont get the waves or big movement of water in Lopez or Lagrimas, so when you filter water its 3 to 1 usually and the water that returns to the sea, is heavy with salt, the government says it sinks before it mixes back and if there is enough volume it starts killing everything it touches...

jerry

Nothing better than buying a retired engineers house...everything works!

• OCEAN FRONT

Playa Encanto, East Beach - Beautiful Beachfront home in Playa Encanto. Perfect for entertaining, enjoy and relax. This 4 Bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, comes fully furnished complete turnkey ready for your use. Amazing sunrise and sunset views over the sea of Cortez. Enjoy the fire place on a cooler night, have your favorite drink on your Margarita deck. This beatiful custom decorated home provides you the perfect environment to enjoy and share wonderful moments with your family and friends.

Special features:

50Kw Stand By Generator / Auto Transfer
    90 Gal Per Hour Fresh water/ Desalination Plant
    1 Ton Mini Split A/C in the Great Room
    ¾ Ton Mini Split A/C in all other Bedrooms
    Guest Bedroom ¾ Ton Mini Slit Heat Pump
    4 Ton A/C Condenser Ground Mount / with roof Evaporator – Great Room and
    one guest Bedroom.
    3 Ton A/C Condenser Ground Mount / with roof Evaporator – 3 remaining
    bedrooms.
    40k Btu Furnace – Great Room and one guest Bedroom /w Thermostat.
    40k Btu Furnace – Remaining 3 Bedrooms /w Thermostat.
    Whole House U/V Domestic water purification.
    Florescent Lighting Garage.
    Electric Back up – Outback 8k Peak Watt Solar (2 4200 Watt Peak) Inverters.
    16 Solar Panels
    Two way electric metering / with Sell back capability to CFE Grid.
    36 Deep Cell, Glass Mat, No Maintenance 6v Storage Batteries.
    Electric controlled irrigation System.

jerry

If anyone serious about a surplus one my buddy buys and sells all kinds of stuff at great lakes auctions...just sold a tank hauler and has one left if you need one 1996-4.JPG