We are new at this..bringing out boat down for the first tim

J

Jamie75

My family bought a little Sea Ray and we are bringing it down this weekend. Fill me in. Do we need to report to someone before taking it out? Licenses to fish? Help...no idea here.

Thanks in advance!!! :boat:

J

Jamie75

Thanks so much Happy!
So even if only one person is planning on fishing all need permits? Also where should I go to purchase one??? :fish: :fish: :fish:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
If you're going this weekend, it's too late to get them from Vagabundos. But that is normally where I get mine. I've been a member of the Vags for years.

http://www.vagabundos.com

In Penasco, I'd check with Pompanos Sportfishing. It is directly across the street from the public harbor, on your left, just as the road splits to one way going down to the Malecon. If they can't sell you one, they can direct you where to purchase a fishing license.

Technically yes - the letter of the law is such that if there is any fishing gear at all on the boat, everyone on the boat must have a fishing license. I have knowingly exempted children on my boat, but if I take the guys out, I require that they all have a license. Happy was correct - a yearly license runs about $42. You can buy them for a week or month, too, for those that don't go very often. Note that, unlike an AZ fishing license, it is good for one year from date of issue, rather than expiring at the end of the calendar year in Dec.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Good luck! :sunny:

J

Jamie75

Thanks Happy and Stuart!
I think we are going to leave the poles at home this weekend and just take the boat out for a little ride. We are very aware of the ever changing sea conditions and with the big weather changes expected this weekend in AZ, we will pay close attention.

Everyone have a great weekend! :mexico: :D

garyd

I have not purchased a fishing lic in a while but I used to get it at the place Happy is describing. I am not 100% sure but I do not think they are open on the weekends

B

bahiatrader

They aren't open on weekends, and they sent me to Pompano's the last time I went there to get a license.

Happy....or Stuart....how do they enforce the license requirement??? I've seen an "official" type walking around in the launch area by the harbor.....but no one lately. It there a police boat that is out there roaming around? Haven't seen the one that used to be in the harbor either.....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
rockyptjoe said:
Happy....or Stuart....how do they enforce the license requirement??? I've seen an "official" type walking around in the launch area by the harbor.....but no one lately. It there a police boat that is out there roaming around? Haven't seen the one that used to be in the harbor either.....
There is occasionally a CONPESCA boat that launches at the public harbor. It's a medium-size center console with twin outboards. It is labeled as a CONPESCA boat, in red. They can stop you and check licenses. The harbor master has checked my boat and paper work before, when launching at the public harbor. Mostly, he was just interested that I had the correct safety gear aboard. He checked me once, then never again. I assumed he was satisifed that I had all in order. The harbor master doesn't really care about licenses, per se, but checked my registration and boat permit, when permits were required.

I seldom launch at the public harbor anymore. It's gotten too crowded, everybody has their hand out, and it's easier and to use Safe Marine.

Since the penalty for not having your fishing license can be the confiscation of all your gear and boat (something I've never wanted to tempt), it's easier to just buy a yearly license. The tournaments I fish in San Carlos also require you to have a license. They write down your license number when you register for the tournament.

So yes, in essence you can go for years and never get checked. But all it takes is one time. So Happy's "Do you feel lucky?" comment is true.

B

bahiatrader

I had the same experience as Stuart at the public launch area only once in about ten years. I offered our fishing licenses, but he just glanced at them. When I was rescued by the Armada Naval (Mexican Navy) they looked at all of our documents including fishing licenses and I D. We had two Mexicans with us who didn't have fishing licenses, but the Naval Offficer in charge didn't seem nearly as concerned as I was. I'd make sure everyone on board had a fishing license anyway. Nobody rides on my boat anymore without a fishing license, or I don't take any fishing gear with me. Cheap insurance to keep your boat and gear from being confiscated. Best of luck. I hope you have a great time.

dmcauley

I view a fishing licence like a spare tire- May never need it or get asked for it but it sure beats the alternative- Jamie, careful this weekend, the red flag is up on buoyweather for Saturday. Maybe you could take a nice spin in your new boat in Cholla Bay when the tide is in.

:boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :boat: :sunny:

Thanks for the responses on the fishing license....I'm a firm believer on having the proper "insurance"....I'm usually riding jetskis, so don't have to worry about them, but if I was going to fish, I'd make sure I had one.

I haven't seen that center console boat in a while.....and rarely have I seen the navy patrol boats out (at least not the ones from the harbor). Is that what was referred to as the "go fast" (I know what that referes to in the drug trade......) or is there another one running around out there?