Weather Thursday 7/25/2013

Roberto

Overcast all night with some small showers. 10 AM, still sprinkling and overcast. Light breezes. Plesant change.

Any big cloud build-ups near, any chance of some thunderstorms? I'm hoping it will be stormy this Saturday when I come down.

One of the scarier drives down today. Got caught in the haboob just south of Gina bend and then sheets of rain right after - border patrol station closed up. Huge winds blowing east to west with lots of lighting. It was hairy for a long while. Large amounts of rain thereafter. Felt like Billy Tyne on the Andrea Gale for a little while. When I got to the border, the agent on the us side asked me how the washes were doing as they could see it was black as could be north of them.

It must have been nasty for the border patrol station to be closed.
15ish years ago on a trip back to AZ on Labor day weekend we encountered major storm cells between the border and Ajo.
It took us 2.5 hours to drive the 40 miles from the border to Ajo, we had to wait 1+ hours for the washes and more time to pull off the road
because of hydroplaning on the road due to the severe rain. I bet it rained 3+ inches in that stretch, my wipers couldn't work fast enough
in order to see 20 feet in front of the car I was driving.